2010-11 Polls/Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby roninmedia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:08 am

I'm not sure if Boise will be #1 when it standings come out, but even if they were #1. I don't see why some anti-Boise fans are so worried about the initial standings when the main argument is their weak conference schedule so their lead should shrink as the conference slate progresses.

But that's the weird thing about the BCS. They first put computers in the system to be the objective observer of who are the best teams in college football. However, if the rankings spit out by the computers do not match close enough the subjective rankings made by human observers, the formula has to be scrapped and tweaked so the computer rankings fall more in line with the AP/Harris/Coaches polls.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:59 pm

It's a historic day in Oregon Football. And look out Boise, Oklahoma is right on your heals having already jumped the Horny Frogs. I had little doubt Oregon would earn the #1 spot in the AP, I still wouldn't be surprised to see Boise St. #1 in the BCS when it's released this evening though....we'll see.

Not sure why ESPN hasn't updated the full rankings. :-S
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:26 pm

Metroid

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:48 pm

The BCS standings are up. OU #1 and UO #2, I am okay with that. ;-D

I won't be at all surprised to see Auburn or LSU jump to 3 next week depending on who wins. and Michigan State leap frog both the Horny Frogs and Boise in 2 weeks if they beat Iowa.
Metroid

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:53 pm

The computers really like Mizzou; they're 18th in the polls but computers bumped their BCS ranking up to 11. 8-o

I'd like to be confident about their chances against OU on Saturday, but they haven't played a halfway decent team yet, so it's impossible to say what their chances are. A blowout is entirely possible.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Metroid » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:12 am

New BCS poll

I don't min Auburn jumping to #1 at all this week. The last thing I want is Oregon strolling in to So Cal with #1 next to their name.
Metroid

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Metroid wrote:New BCS poll

I don't min Auburn jumping to #1 at all this week. The last thing I want is Oregon strolling in to So Cal with #1 next to their name.

Yeah, no joke! I think Oregon, BSU, TCU (and really everyone else in the top 8) is like, "Thank you very much, as long as we have that spot at the beginning of December after you choke Auburn" :-?
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:59 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
Metroid wrote:New BCS poll

Yeah, no joke! I think Oregon, BSU, TCU (and really everyone else in the top 8) is like, "Thank you very much, as long as we have that spot at the beginning of December after you choke Auburn" :-?

If Auburn runs the table and loses to Alabama or loses in the SEC CG, I don't think that would qualify as choking in any way. Alabama is one of the five best teams in the country.

EDIT: Maybe if they lose to SC in the championship game after beating Alabama it could be considered a choke, although I'd venture to say that South Carolina is to good to be considered choke-worthy. Choking would have been Michigan State losing to Northwestern last week after receiving some national attention.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Metroid » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:40 pm

I really like that Oregon controls their own destiny, win out and they're in, there is no doubt about that. Nobody will be leapfrogging over them as long as they keep winning. Same with Auburn, as long as they win out they will hold that #1 spot. Believe it or not, Alabama is actually in the best shape of all the teams immediately following Auburn and Oregon. If they run through their schedule, beat Auburn and win the SEC championship game they will jump an undefeated Boise, TCU, Utah, Mizzou, and Mich. St. They obviously do need Auburn to stay number 1 until the meet them November 26.
Metroid

Postby roninmedia » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:00 pm

Expect TCU to jump Boise in the BCS standings today. :-t

Auburn has jumped Boise in the Coaches Poll. And I know Boise fell 2 spots in the Sagarin computer.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to College Football