2010-11 Polls/Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:31 am

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Nevada slip up in Fresno in a couple weeks.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:41 am

TCU jumps Boise in the BCS rankings...weird, to say the least.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:14 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:TCU jumps Boise in the BCS rankings...weird, to say the least.

Why is it weird to say the least? TCU played yesterday and Boise did not. I don't think it's weird at all. These teams are so close to each other, as far as the polls are considered, that it makes perfect sense TCU would jump them. TCU gets a huge opportunity to widen the gap between them and Boise next week. However, if it's Utah that comes out on top, don't be surprised to see them jump Boise too. And it might not happen next week, but the week after I fully expect Bama to be in front of Boise. After next week it really could look like this...

1. Oregon
2. Auburn
3. TCU/Utah
4. Alabama
5. Boise St.
Metroid

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:32 am

I mentioned it in the Michigan thread, but what do you guys of the very likely scenario of Stanford running the table, going 12-1 in the Pac-10, having their only loss at the hands of the #1 team in the country in their house, and be left out of the Rose Bowl in favor of one of these non AQ schools? I call BS on that noise.
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Metroid wrote:I mentioned it in the Michigan thread, but what do you guys of the very likely scenario of Stanford running the table, going 12-1 in the Pac-10, having their only loss at the hands of the #1 team in the country in their house, and be left out of the Rose Bowl in favor of one of these non AQ schools? I call BS on that noise.

I think it depends what Oregon does. The Rose Bowl tends to like to take Pac 10 and Big 10 teams, even if they aren't the division winners, so I don't think that Boise St/TCU/Utah would get in over a 1 loss Stanford. IMO, the only way they don't get in is if Oregon loses, meaning they wouldn't get into the national championship, but would still in the Pac 10. In that case, Oregon goes.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:15 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:I mentioned it in the Michigan thread, but what do you guys of the very likely scenario of Stanford running the table, going 12-1 in the Pac-10, having their only loss at the hands of the #1 team in the country in their house, and be left out of the Rose Bowl in favor of one of these non AQ schools? I call BS on that noise.

I think it depends what Oregon does. The Rose Bowl tends to like to take Pac 10 and Big 10 teams, even if they aren't the division winners, so I don't think that Boise St/TCU/Utah would get in over a 1 loss Stanford. IMO, the only way they don't get in is if Oregon loses, meaning they wouldn't get into the national championship, but would still in the Pac 10. In that case, Oregon goes.

Obviously the Rose Bowl likes Pac 10/Big 10, that's who the game is historically for. But, no it wouldn't be Stanford if Oregon goes to the National Championship. There is a rule in place where if the Pac 10 champ goes to the NC game, the game is offered to the top ranked non AQ team, not the Pac 10 runner up. That would either be Boise, TCU, or Utah. Stanford could really get the shaft here.

"For the games of January 2011 through 2014, the first year the Rose Bowl loses a team to the NCG and a team from the non-AQ group is an automatic qualifier, that non-AQ team will play in the Rose Bowl."

Edit: Linkage

It's a new rule that was implemented last season. Why? I have no idea. I'm having an even harder time understanding how the Pac 10 or Big 10 could allow a rule like this to happen. How a team could 12-1, their only loss be to the #1 team in the country, not go to the Bowl game partially designed for their conference is beyond me. :-t
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:26 am

Metroid wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:

Obviously the Rose Bowl likes Pac 10/Big 10, that's who the game is historically for. But, no it wouldn't be Stanford if Oregon goes to the National Championship. There is a rule in place where if the Pac 10 champ goes to the NC game, the game is offered to the top ranked non AQ team, not the Pac 10 runner up. That would either be Boise, TCU, or Utah. Stanford could really get the shaft here.

"For the games of January 2011 through 2014, the first year the Rose Bowl loses a team to the NCG and a team from the non-AQ group is an automatic qualifier, that non-AQ team will play in the Rose Bowl."

Edit: Linkage

It's a new rule that was implemented last season. Why? I have no idea. I'm having an even harder time understanding how the Pac 10 or Big 10 could allow a rule like this to happen. How a team could 12-1, their only loss be to the #1 team in the country, not go to the Bowl game partially designed for their conference is beyond me. :-t

Wow, I almost got sick reading that. That has to be a joke. How an undefeated Boise/TCU/Utah would deserve to get in over a 1-loss Stanford is, quite honestly, beyond me, especially given that Stanford's only loss would be to the #1 team in the country.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:49 am

Lots of things about the BCS sicken me. This is just another example of why this system does not work.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:24 am

I know guys, I just don't get it. We may disagree some on how the BCS needs to be changed, or how the dismantling should begin, but I think we all agree that the BCS is a mess and something needs to be done.

Obviously this scenario may not play out and be moot, but just the fact that it could happen is ridiculous.
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:35 am

Metroid wrote:I know guys, I just don't get it. We may disagree some on how the BCS needs to be changed, or how the dismantling should begin, but I think we all agree that the BCS is a mess and something needs to be done.

Obviously this scenario may not play out and be moot, but just the fact that it could happen is ridiculous.

Honestly, I hope it DOES happen and that whichever AQ gets in gets absolutely dismantled by OSU, Wisco, Iowa, or whoever it might be. Not saying I think those teams would necessarily dismantle Boise/TCU/Utah. but I would love to see it happen.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football