2010-11 Polls/Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:41 am

I would love to see that too. More so Boise St. than TCU or Utah though. At least TCU and Utah fans aren't full of themselves like Boise fans are, it's beyond obnoxious. Obviously I'm a little biased since Boise beat my Ducks twice the last 2 seasons, but I would love to see them get manhandled by a Big 10 team. I suppose if I had to choose, I'd rather see Utah in the Rose, I mean the are joining the Pac 10 next season. Still though, Stanford would be royally screwed.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:41 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:I know guys, I just don't get it. We may disagree some on how the BCS needs to be changed, or how the dismantling should begin, but I think we all agree that the BCS is a mess and something needs to be done.

Obviously this scenario may not play out and be moot, but just the fact that it could happen is ridiculous.


Honestly, I hope it DOES happen and that whichever AQ gets in gets absolutely dismantled by OSU, Wisco, Iowa, or whoever it might be. Not saying I think those teams would necessarily dismantle Boise/TCU/Utah. but I would love to see it happen.


Why so much hate for the non-AQs? All three are legit for BCS terms, and especially BSU and TCU :-?
Image
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8164
Joined: 29 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New to the "block"

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby knapplc » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Boise fans are the worst form of front-runners. Their argument about not getting any respect has an amount of validity, but it has major flaws due to their horrific SOS. The problem with Boise Fan, that I've seen, is they ignore the flaws in their argument and demand respect thanks to their record. You can't pick and choose, yet they do. Plus, the few BSU fans that I've run across in the Interwebz have been very entitlement-oriented, and that doesn't play for me. This is a program that will sink into the mire of obscurity once they lose Chris Petersen. We're not talking Oklahoma here, yet they want the same amount of respect. Nuh-uh.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Image
Image
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6275
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 May 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AUTZEN!!!!!!

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:32 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:I know guys, I just don't get it. We may disagree some on how the BCS needs to be changed, or how the dismantling should begin, but I think we all agree that the BCS is a mess and something needs to be done.

Obviously this scenario may not play out and be moot, but just the fact that it could happen is ridiculous.


Honestly, I hope it DOES happen and that whichever AQ gets in gets absolutely dismantled by OSU, Wisco, Iowa, or whoever it might be. Not saying I think those teams would necessarily dismantle Boise/TCU/Utah. but I would love to see it happen.


Why so much hate for the non-AQs? All three are legit for BCS terms, and especially BSU and TCU :-?


Because it's so unfair that they get to play cupcake games all but 2 times per year. Even when you schedule a couple moderately difficult out of conference games, such as Oregon State and VT, they still can bring their C- game 9 times a year and win. Look at Alabama's schedule. They lost because they had 3 really tough games in a row and it's nearly impossible to come out and play a great game 3 weeks in a row, which caused them to slip up and lose. No way in heck would BSU or TCU have survived that stretch. It's incredibly unfair to schools in tough major conferences that these teams get so much credit for winning 2 games that they SHOULD win. Not only does BSU claim that they should be in because they have won 2 games against major conference teams, but those teams are in the Pac 10 and ACC. Now, the Pac 10 is decent (although IMO still worse than the big 10 and SEC certainly and possibly the big 12), but the ACC is dreadful. I honestly believe that there are AT LEAST 15-20 teams in the country that could go undefeated with Boise's schedule, and they don't deserve to be in a BCS game by doing something that most ranked teams could do.

Also, what makes you say that BSU and TCU are any more legit than Utah? The point is, we have no idea how good these teams are. Utah, for all we know, could be the best of the 3.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Let's compare a couple schedules. How bout we use Alabama and TCU?


TCU

vs. #24 Oregon State
vs. Tennessee Tech
vs. Baylor
at. Southern Methodist
at Colorado State
vs. Wyoming
vs. BYU
vs. Air Force
at. UNLV
at. #5 Utah
vs. San Diego State
at. New Mexico

Alabama
vs. San Jose State
vs. #18 Penn State
at. Duke
at. #18 Arkansas
vs. #7 Florida
at. #19 South Carolina
vs. Ole Miss
at. Tennessee
at. #10 LSU
vs. #20 Miss. State
vs. Georgia State
vs. #2 Auburn

How anybody can look at the schedules of these two teams, and the say one deserves to be in the same sentence with the other as far as BCS bowl games is beyond me. Try this exercise on for size, how bout TCU and Alabama switch schedules. How many wins do you think TCU would have? 5? Maybe 6? How many do you think Alabama would have?m The Tide would be 12-0 and would be every single season if they played a schedule like that. Like Flesh said, it's completely unfair to teams that have to play more than 2 or 3 difficult games a year. Bama has at least 6 or 7 games where they must be at their best to win.

That's obviously the extreme end of the spectrum comparing them with an SEC team. But even Pac 10, Big 10, and Big 12 teams generally have to bring their A game every week. The TCU's, Boise State's, and Utah's can practically sleepwalk through most of their schedule. And then they want a shot at the title? No way dude.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby knapplc » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:08 pm

Those are great examples, but let's take an AQ school that played a weaker schedule, yet has remained in the top ten. Stewart Mandel used Nebraska as an example to support Boise State's bid for the MNC game, claiming that Nebraska's schedule wasn't any better than Boise's.

At the time he wrote the article he had a point - very few, if any, of Nebraska's opponents were ranked or appeared on their way to being ranked. However, just one month after this article was written, Nebraska's SOS is better than Boise's. Why? Because Nebraska plays in the Big 12, which although it's not as strong as it has been in the past, is still a far better conference than Boise's. It's not even close.

Sagarin currently has Nebraska's SOS at 34th in the country; Boise's is 74th, and dropping like a stone.

I think Boise would beat Nebraska right now if the two played on a neutral field. I think Boise is legitimately one of the top five teams in the country. But the simple fact that their regular season schedule is as tough as most team's non-con laughers means that Boise doesn't have to game-plan for a tough opponent every week. There's nobody in their conference who can stop even their base offense, so they have the luxury of being able to prepare for a Hawaii or a Nevada - or a bowl opponent - weeks and weeks in advance. AQ schools have scant days to watch film, formulate a game plan, and develop a strategy to overcome what may be a unique offense/defense that is both well-coached and stocked with athletes.

The other huge advantage Boise has is that, since their conference is traditionally so weak, they have little worry of the kind of attrition that AQ schools face by playing other solid athletes week in and week out. Not only does Boise have the advantage of game-planning, but largely their players are untested and fresh throughout the season. They rarely have to worry about a guy being out a game or two due to contact injuries.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby Sandrock » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:25 pm

If the Pac-10 is such a weak conference, then why do you they occupy 7 of the top 10 SoS? Wouldn't being the 4th best conference drag down that SoS a bit?
Image
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1422
Joined: 1 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Reser Stadium; lamenting the D-Line for 2011

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:37 pm

Sandrock wrote:If the Pac-10 is such a weak conference, then why do you they occupy 7 of the top 10 SoS? Wouldn't being the 4th best conference drag down that SoS a bit?

Seven of the top 10 SOS according to whom?
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby Metroid » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

PreviousNext

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 8:07 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact