2010-11 Polls/Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010-11 Polls/Discussion

Postby Sandrock » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:51 pm

I was going off Sagarin, which has every Pac-10 team in the Top 10 SoS except for Stanford (25), Arizona (21) and Oregon (42).
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:48 am

Sandrock, I wasn't seeing what you were talking about - I though you were saying those PAC-10 teams were IN the top 30. Bad brain day, apparently.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:53 am

Sandrock wrote:If the Pac-10 is such a weak conference, then why do you they occupy 7 of the top 10 SoS? Wouldn't being the 4th best conference drag down that SoS a bit?

Whether or not the Pac 10 is weak really isn't that relevant. That point completely ignores what Knapp just said about Boise not having to prepare. I don't think anyone is arguing that Oregon shouldn't get in if undefeated due to their conference. The point is, Boise's schedule doesn't compare to that of Alabama or even those of Iowa or Nebraska, no matter how big a win you think beating Oregon State is.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sandrock » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:04 pm

Please point out to me one instance in the six years that I've been on these forums where I've stated that beating Oregon State qualifies as a big win. There's nobody on this board that's more honest about the weaknesses and deficiencies of their team, or more pessimistic about their teams chances of coming away with a win.

Since you're now saying that conference strength is irrelevant, you went out of your way to disparage both the ACC and the Pac-10 for no apparent reason? When I read that post again, it states pretty clearly that you believe that the quality of the conferences dictates the quality of the win, at least pertaining to Boise State. So which is it? Your waffling is incredibly confusing.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:45 pm

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:58 pm

Sandrock wrote:Please point out to me one instance in the six years that I've been on these forums where I've stated that beating Oregon State qualifies as a big win. There's nobody on this board that's more honest about the weaknesses and deficiencies of their team, or more pessimistic about their teams chances of coming away with a win.

Since you're now saying that conference strength is irrelevant, you went out of your way to disparage both the ACC and the Pac-10 for no apparent reason? When I read that post again, it states pretty clearly that you believe that the quality of the conferences dictates the quality of the win, at least pertaining to Boise State. So which is it? Your waffling is incredibly confusing.

My point was that my argument about Boise St has to do with them not being in a major conference in general, which is why I don't understand what the point was with arguing the Pac 10 was good. The point is, Boise's conference is bad. Whether the Pac 10 is better or worse than the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, etc is irrelevant to that argument. My discussing whether or not Oregon St is a big win actually didn't have to do with you being a fan of them, in fact I wasn't focused on that at all. My point with making that comment is that Boise shouldn't get into the National Championship by saying "we beat Oregon State and Virginia Tech."

I would disagree that the quality of the conference dictates the quality of the win (for example, I think that beating Oregon would be a big win, whereas I don't think the Pac 10 in general is that great). However, the quality of the conference dictates how qualified that conference winner is to go to the National Championship. For example, I think the SEC is better than the Big 10. Therefore, a 1 loss Alabama should get in over a 1 loss Ohio State, because Alabama would have then had a tougher road to that one loss. I guess my main point is that an incredibly difficult out of conference schedule can't make up for an incredibly easy conference schedule.

That said, I do apologize if I came across as condescending pertaining to my comment about Oregon State at the end of my last post. I wasn't trying to implicate that you would be biased based on your rooting interests.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:37 am

This weeks rankings.

I'm actually surprised Auburn didn't slide into the #1 spot after this week. No discredit to Cal, they played fantastic defense, but Oregon's offense looked fairly pedestrian. Much of that was due to Cal, but some of it was due to Oregon coming out rather flat. Either way, I really expected Oregon to drop. I'm surprised Boise didn't slide to 3rd either. I'm sure they will if they beat Nevada though.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 am

Ughhhh when Alabama beats Auburn next week this whole thing is going to turn into a complete mess again
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:41 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:Ughhhh when Alabama beats Auburn next week this whole thing is going to turn into a complete mess again

It sure is. If Auburn does fall to Bama, I REALLY hope Nevada can pull the upset on Boise. I could still see the BCS puting a 1 loss Auburn in the NC if they win the SEC championship convincingly. Also I don't think a 1 loss Stanford would have enough juice to jump into the title game but a 1 loss LSU would if they win out and win the SEC championship convincingly. This is kind of what I think is going to happen, LSU vs. Oregon in the title game. It just seems like things are aligning for it to happen, plus that rematch on September 3rd next year gets a whole lot juicer if LSU and Oregon play for the title.

Whatever happens, if Oregon does win out, the last thing I want is for them to play either Boise or TCU in the title game. It's a lose, lose situation. If Oregon wins, 90% of college football fans will call it a joke title and not give the Ducks credit for beating a real team, from a real conference. If Oregon loses....ugh, I don't even want to think about that.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 am

What about a 1 loss Wisconsin or OSU? In the event that Auburn or Oregon loses, do you guys think either of those teams would have a shot at getting in? The Big 10 is solid this year, neither lost to a bad team (Wisco lost to Michigan State, OSU lost to WIsco), and both are winning convincingly ever since.

Oh and the prospect of Michigan having to play against both of those teams is scary :-o

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football