D-line/O-line observations - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

D-line/O-line observations

Moderator: Football Moderators

D-line/O-line observations

Postby biju » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:22 am

It's early in the season but it squarely looks like what we expected to happen didn't exactly happen. Houston beat Indy. Detroit by all means beat the Bears. The Seahawks crushed the 49ers. The Redskins beat the Cowboys.

A hot topic here in SeaTown is the O-line play of SF and the D-line play for Seattle. Was it that the 49ers O-line was awful, or was it that the Seahawks D-line played good?

Having said that, I wanted to start a thread on defensive line and offensive line observations. Since I obviously didn't watch all 32 games I need the help of my Cafe brethren to get an idea of what each team looked like. Please give me your "letter grade", any significant injuries that might change their production next week, and general opinion on:

O-line pass protection
O-line run blocking
D-line pass rush
D-line rush defense

If everyone participates I think we can get most of the NFL. Heck, we might even be able to make this a nice little on-going thread.

I'll kick it off with my observations of the Seahawks.

O-line pass protection
Grade: B+
Injuries: Mike Gibson, who was replaced by ZBS veteran Ben Hamilton. This won't seriously affect week 2, although it's worth mentioning that the O-line now has three injuries and are starting to get thin, yet again.
Thoughts: One sack and a couple of hits on Hasselbeck, but they gave him enough time when he needed it. Hasselbeck was moved out of the pocket a couple of times but they held the pocket nicely for him to step up into.

O-line run blocking
Grade: D
Injuries: None
Thoughts: The line, while able to create some lanes for the RBs, couldn't sustain their blocks long enough for our slower RBs to get through. The SF rush defense is strong so it's possible they'll have better luck against a lesser defense, but for right now the zone blocking hasn't created the cutback lanes we expected it to.

D-line pass rush
Grade: C
Thoughts: Only two sacks, but the pressure put on Alex Smith was good. He was hurried from the 2nd quarter on. The 49ers only converted 1 of 15 3rd downs, which might be an indication of a bad pass game from SF, but at least 3 of those were due to being hurried and Smith was called once for intentional grounding. There were a couple of times they got zero pressure however and without some miscues from Smith the defensive secondary could have been torched. They'll need more consistency here or the DBs will get burned by better QBs.

D-line rush defense
Grade: A
Thoughts: The rush defense looked great as the former "Hawk Killer" Frank Gore ran for a paltry 38 yards on 17 attempts and the entire 49er team averaged only 2.6 YPC. A lot can be attributed to Red Byrant's move to DE in Pete Carroll's hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense. With Bryant, Brandon Mebane and Colin Cole commanding the attention of 5 blockers each attempt, the LBs were free to punish Gore. Even with the rose colored glasses off, this defense has the look of a top 5 rush defense.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk