Reggie Bush Forfeits 2005 Heisman - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Reggie Bush Forfeits 2005 Heisman

Moderator: Football Moderators

Reggie Bush Forfeits 2005 Heisman

Postby benb18a » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:08 pm

I can't find a link, but this was just breaking news on ESPN in between Jim Rome and Around The Horn. He feels that he doesn't deserve it, but we can probably all agree that this is more of a "they're gonna take it, might as well save some face/get it out of my mind and focus on 2010 football" thing.

Edit: there is a link now at nfl.com:

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-an ... aking_news

"One of the greatest honors of my life was winning the Heisman Trophy in 2005. For me, it was a dream come true.

But I know that the Heisman is not mine alone. Far from it. I know that my victory was made possible by the discipline and hard work of my teammates, the steady guidance of my coaches, the inspiration of the fans, and the unconditional love of my family and friends. And I know that any young man fortunate enough to win the Heisman enters into a family of sorts. Each individual carries the legacy of the award and each one is entrusted with its good name.

It is for these reasons that I have made the difficult decision to forfeit my title as Heisman winner of 2005. The persistent media speculation regarding allegations dating back to my years at USC has been both painful and distracting. In no way should the storm around these allegations reflect in any way on the dignity of this award, nor on any other institutions or individuals. Nor should it distract from outstanding performances and hard-earned achievements either in the past, present or future
."

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Reggie Bush Forfeits 2005 Heisman

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Vince Young offered to take it :-b
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:00 pm

He gave it back because he didn't want to have it taken from him.

Reggie get over yourself, you were downed, or almost downed, and just wanted to make this crappy situation look good for you. How bout you show that Heisman talent in the NFL huh? Instead no we will just let undrafted Pierre Thomas take the lead.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:23 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:He gave it back because he didn't want to have it taken from him.

Reggie get over yourself, you were downed, or almost downed, and just wanted to make this crappy situation look good for you. How bout you show that Heisman talent in the NFL huh? Instead no we will just let undrafted Pierre Thomas take the lead.

Any indiscretions that he committed in college doesn't take away the fact that he was a phenomenal unbelievably gifted player at USC. It's been a few years now, but watching him play and rack up all purpose yards like it was nothing with ease was truly incredible. That's why he was voted the Heisman Trophy winner. They can take it back, he can give it back, he can continue to be a change of pace, pass catcher in the NFL. None of that changes how truly unbelievable he was at USC.

Matt Leinart still pushed him into the end zone, though. ;-)
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:36 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:He gave it back because he didn't want to have it taken from him.

Lotsa Heisman winners never show that kinda talent in the NFL, been some notable flops and never-made-its!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Ek » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:57 pm

stomperrob wrote:Lotsa Heisman winners never show that kinda talent in the NFL, been some notable flops and never-made-its!

No kidding. There's a list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_He ... hy_winners.

Going back from 2005 (the jury still is out on pretty much everyone after that):

'04 Matt Leinart - Bust
'03 Jason White - Never really got a shot due to injuries
'02 Carson Palmer - Good career, probably not a HOF player, could have been better without injuries
'01 Eric Crouch - Bust, although he never got a real shot at playing QB in the NFL
'00 Chris Weinke - Career backup/bust
'99 Ron Dayne - Did manage to stay in the league for awhile, but a definite bust
'98 Ricky Williams - Very good, if somewhat strange, career
'97 Charles Woodson - Good career
'96 Danny Wuerffel - Career Backup, really never projected as a starter so it is hard to call him a "bust"
'95 Eddie George - Good career
'94 Rashaan Salaam - Bust

There's something to the whole "Heisman Jinx" thin; out of the last 12 we can evaluate (those 11 plus Bush), half (Leinart, White, Crouch, Weinke, Dayne, Wuerffel, and Salaam) were either busts or were never expected to do well, another two (Bush and Dayne) developed into role players, and only four (Palmer, Williams, Woodson, and George) were anything close to what they were in college. So, I guess what I'm saying is that Bush's NFL career doesn't take away from his Heisman season, even if it does cast some doubt on whether he really was a once in a generation talent and not just a good talent in a great situation. Also, buyer beware on Mark Ingram when he comes out, I guess.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby stomperrob » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:10 pm

stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby benb18a » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:13 pm

I think it's fairly safe to say that Troy Smith, and probably Tim Tebow, will fall under the Bush/Dayne category. The list of recent Heisman winners just goes to show how different the NFL and NCAA games are. One dimensional players can OWN the NCAA, but are only able to be situational players in the NFL. The difference between Smith and Tebow, is, at least the Ravens didn't draft their QB like he will be a top shelf starter :-B

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby stomperrob » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:18 pm

...and it didn't take long for someone to play the race card! Some university prof is calling on black players to refuse the Heisman:

Dr. Boyce: Black Athletes Should Ignore the Heisman Trophy
by Dr. Boyce Watkins in NewsOne Original on Sep 8, 2010 at 9:38 am

When I read about the possibility that Reggie Bush may have his Heisman Trophy taken, I became irritated beyond imagination. ”Here we go again,” I thought. ”Another self-righteous group of hoity-toity NCAA administrators making value judgments about the character of black male athletes.

If they can’t defeat them on the field, the game is then to create artificially contrived mechanisms for evaluating the worth of the athlete from a morality standpoint. The problem for the NCAA, however, is that when it comes to ethics, they have no room to claim the moral high ground. In fact, you might say they are crooks.

So, officials allegedly want to take Reggie Bush’s Heisman because he might have violated a set of rules that represent nothing less than a complete double standard that places athletes and their families (many of whom are black) at the bottom of an artificial caste system which puts coaches at the top (most of whom are white)? Can we say “apartheid” anyone? Are you trying to say that Reggie Bush wasn’t worth millions of dollars to USC and the NCAA in television deals, ticket sales, jersey sales and the like? Yea, I thought so.

Why in the world have we somehow been convinced that black athletes (white ones too) and their families are not deserving of a slice of the massive revenue that athletes earn for their universities? Did anyone watch USC football games to see anyone other than Reggie Bush and the other athletes on the field? If that’s not the case, then why in the world has he been chastised like a runaway slave for simply getting a mere fraction of the money that he deserves? Even China has a more equitable system of wealth distribution than the NCAA, who has made an art form out of turning the false into something that we all believe to be real. That long list of rules and regulations created by the NCAA is designed to control athletes so they themselves can get wealthy from athlete labor. We know that.

Here’s the deal: Black athletes don’t need the ridiculous and meaningless validation of a Heisman Trophy. Over the last decade, seven out of ten Heismans have gone to white quarterbacks. The truth is that this is typically the Golden Boy Award, and black athletes usually have to perform above and beyond the call of duty at their position to defeat whomever the media has chosen as the most “honorable and coachable” athlete with “good character.” The Heisman committee’s overall character assessment doesn’t usually land in favor of black athletes if they buck the system, speak out of turn, or (God-forbid) take an intelligent stand on any meaningful social issue. Personally, the Heisman Trophy means as much to me as a glass of milk with urine in it. That trophy is absolutely worthless.

con't...

more: http://newsone.com/newsone-original/boy ... an-trophy/
stomperrob

Postby Ek » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:57 am

Man, I'm rolling my eyes at this guy. He has a decent point about how the NCAA tries too hard to control its athletes, it isn't as if the rules are enforced any differently when white players are involved. His point about white quarterbacks is true, but I think what this points to more is the tendency for writers and fans to overvalue the QB position than any sort of racism. The runner-up when Bush won was a black QB, after all (who WAS able to "defeat...[Reggie Bush] on the field").

You are complaining about elevating (mostly, although, uh, sometimes not, I guess) white coaches over (mostly) black athletes? Hello! If you are an athlete, the coach is your boss for the purposes of your athletic endeavors. If anything, I think this is a little bit too de-emphasized in Pro sports.

Lastly, if NCAA football is racist, how is it that the almost-all-white Boise State can win every game it plays for three years, including several against highly-ranked BCS conference teams, and never get a shot at a title?
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk