Hakeem Nicks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hakeem Nicks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Hakeem Nicks

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Rotoworld:
Hakeem Nicks has been diagnosed with compartment syndrome in his lower left leg, and the Giants expect him to miss the next three weeks.
He underwent a "fasciotomy" on Monday afternoon. Compartment syndrome affects muscle circulation, and can lead to muscle or nerve damage if not treated cautiously. The Giants' passing attack can expect a major step back, as No. 2 receiver Steve Smith (pectoral) has already been ruled out for the rest of the month and Ramses Barden is on I.R. Mario Manningham will be counted on heavily. It sounds like the G-Men are hopeful that Nicks could return in Week 15, but that's no guarantee. We'd try to hang onto Nicks in fantasy leagues if possible.

really sucks for his owners
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flyn high again » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:43 pm

Compartment syndrome is a serious illness. It happens when some kind of injury causes internal bleeding and the blood fills up a "compartment", in this case, in Nicks' leg. If the pressure from the blood gets too high Drs. must relieve it by cutting a deep incision to allow the blood to escape. If the pressure remains it can cause muscle and nerve damage. 3 weeks is a very optimistic return time. I read a thread on the illness. "Normal" people who had the same operation were in quite a bit of pain and took 3 weeks to get back to exercising on a stationary bike. Without complications, it took 6 weeks for them to completely recover. As always, I think an NFL Dr. and trainer can speed up recovery time with good treatment and patients who are in great shape to begin with but we still need to follow this closely and find a suitable replacement for at least 3 weeks.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby beastykato » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:58 pm

That is a serious injury and I honestly don't think Nicks will be productive for the rest of the season. Manningham has become pure gold now assuming he can handle being the #1 target and threat to the opposing defense.
QB: M. Stafford, T. Pryor
RB: J. Charles, Chris Johnson, D. Sproles, Ben Tate, Willis McGahee
WR:J. Nelson, A. Boldin, J. Gordon, P. Harvin, H. Douglas, T. Williams
TE: J. Witten, J. Cameron
K: G. Hartley
DEF: Chiefs
beastykato
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 32)

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:09 pm

I talked to my sister-in-law who is a surgical nurse. She says 3 weeks is ridiculously optimistic. In her words, this operation slices open the leg "like a fish" and it needs to heal on its own. She said months, not weeks.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby beastykato » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:37 pm

Yeah, they are definitely being extremely optimistic with his injury. Maybe they were able to get to it and release the build-up of fluid before it became serious? I really don't know but I'm on the verge of dropping him for some roster room because the seasons coming to a close and there are a number of waiver wire pick-ups I wouldn't mind snagging.
QB: M. Stafford, T. Pryor
RB: J. Charles, Chris Johnson, D. Sproles, Ben Tate, Willis McGahee
WR:J. Nelson, A. Boldin, J. Gordon, P. Harvin, H. Douglas, T. Williams
TE: J. Witten, J. Cameron
K: G. Hartley
DEF: Chiefs
beastykato
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 32)

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:54 pm

I am tempted to drop Nicks and pick up a replacement WR. NEED INFO...
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flyn high again » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:28 pm

Nicks is still hopeful he will be back week 14. As we surmised, the surgery cut is the main injury he has to overcome. Question is "How fast does he heal".

From Rotoworld:
Hakeem Nicks (leg) revealed Wednesday that he is targeting a Week 14 return against Minnesota.
Nicks told reporters that his problem is no longer with the Compartment Syndrome of his lower leg, but with the wound itself. He plans to resume running next Wednesday, and called the possibility of a Week 14 return "realistic." Nicks is not going to be a fantasy option in his first game back, but could be an asset in Weeks 15 (versus Philadelphia) and 16 (at Green Bay).
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby 2centworth » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:10 pm

Nicks is not going to be a fantasy option in his first game back,

That's funny. If he's ready to play then he's ready to be a fantasy option.
2centworth
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Flyn high again » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Latest reports say Nicks is going to start running this week. Play week 14? I doubt it. Week 15? Maybe.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flyn high again » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Latest update. Nicks returns to practice. Hooray! If not this week, look for him in week 15.

From Rotoworld:
Hakeem Nicks (leg) returned to a limited practice Wednesday, and said afterwards that he did "60 percent" of team drills.
"If I'm practicing, I'm playing," Nicks told reporters. We like the confidence, but the determination will likely be made by the Giants' medical staff, not Nicks himself. Assuming Nicks does play against Minnesota, he'd only be a WR3 and a high-risk one at that. Dec. 8 - 2:09 pm et
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk