Do I need to keep a second qb on bench? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Do I need to keep a second qb on bench?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do I need to keep a second qb on bench?

Postby liquidvet » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:55 pm

Not sure. Only my third year playing. In my PPR league. I was thinking about dropping alex smith and picking up marion barber or nate washington. The only other qb worth picking up would be garrard or henne. I currently have flaco but I am confident that this is going to be a rivers kind of year for him. First game was first game. Do i need to stash another qb? If not, which of those two players should I pick up. I have felix jones on my bench so I am kind of playing the whole game I played with AZ last year, but I think titans look really good and nate washington blew up last week. Suggestions would be helpful.
6pt tds, 1 pt ppr competitive 10 man league
QB Rodgers, Smith
RB MJD, Matthews, Spiller, McGahee, R. williams
WR: J. Jones, Torry Smith, Lafell, Britt, Young
TE: Hernandez, Bennet
D:Eagles
liquidvet
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Do I need to keep a second qb on bench?

Postby Hoosierdad » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:24 pm

If you think you can pick up a QB for the bye week, then you don't need to keep one. You just better be really sure. If you decide to drop Smith, I would pick up Barber. Since you have Jones, you have the Dallas RBs (other than Choice) and if one goes down, the other becomes really valuable.

help?
viewtopic.php?t=474780
12 Team League. We start 2 QBs and get .5 PPR, otherwise standard scoring
QBs: Stafford, Fitzpatrick, Collins
RBs: Charles, Mendenhall, Best, Starks, Carter, Karim
WRs: D. Jackson, Marshall, S. Smith, Green,
TE: Hernandez, Cook
Hoosierdad
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:39 pm

I don't think either one of those 2 are good enough to risk it
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cameron10483 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:42 pm

I would drop Smith for Barber....you can decide who to drop for a bye week QB when that decision arises, but I personally think Barber holds more value than A. Smith. All the QB's you mentioned are interchangable IMO, therefore I wouldn't waste a roster spot as of now.
Standard Scoring, 8 Team $ League, Start...QB,QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,WR,FLEX X3,TE,K,DEF.
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DEF-
Cameron10483
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby curtk » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:33 pm

There are really two questions here:
1. Should I chance carrying one QB?
2. Are either of these two players worth dropping for my 2nd QB, Alex Smith?

The answer to the first one depends on your league. If there is normally enough QB depth on the WW, then it's worth the gamble. Is Alex Smith really that much better than another two or three available QBs? My guess is that he's not that much better...in fact, the other options available might be better than he is, anyway. If you had drafted P Manning and Big Ben, for example, then I wouldn't drop either of them right now (if at all, depending on how the season plays out). As a point of comparison, although I usually risk it and just keep one QB, since Ben was out the first few weeks last year, I drafted Ben and Matt Ryan (both pretty late, allowing me to stock up on better WR's & RB's). After he came back, both played well enough to roster, and because I couldn't get a taker on a trade for one of them, I kept them both and played matchups. (That worked fine last year, but this year I'm back to one.)

Another consideration is this: is Alex Smith's matchup so good in that one bye week to justify taking up a roster spot for four weeks? Flacco's bye week is week 5 and Smith plays TB that week. Even if that looks like a good matchup now, teams often surprise us and that could end up being a tough matchup for Smith in a month. Is there another available QB who may have an even better matchup that week? Maybe one who will come out stronger than most expect? (BTW, Garrard is at home vs CIN in week 5. Henne is on a bye in week 5, too.)

Besides the risk during your primary QB's bye week, you risk not having an adequate back up if he gets injured. But since you don't have two stud QB's anyway, it's not much different than worrying about your bye week.

So I answer the first question with, yes. I agree with the strategy of rostering the best WR's and RB's that I can get my hands on in case they break out. If they don't, cut them for someone else who may have a good week. That strategy worked very well last year, when I added Arian Foster before he even finished his first game. I saw what he was doing and dumped someone else (don't even remember who now), because I had the flexibility to drop one of my other RB's on the bench.

Guess what? The answer to the second question also depends on your league and the makeup of your team. Are Barber and Washington the best two options available to you? What RB's do you have on the bench? In many leagues, WR's are the hot commodity. Do you have better options available at WR? I'd say that if those were the best two options for you, then you should take a chance and swap one of them for Smith. But that depends on who is worth more in your league, what your roster is like, and who else may be available. Personally, I'm not really high on either one, but can change that opinion quickly if they start out hot!

I hope this helps...
curtk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 9)

Postby c0megets0me » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:05 pm

I hate to say this but i dont think alex is worth owning. I would rather start my grandma, so i say hell yes drop him. However im also not crazy about your choice either but im guessing Barber will get the short yardage and goal line work so add him.
ROSTER/8 team standard scoring
QB-M.Ryan/M.Vick
RB-T.Richardson/S.Jax/L.Miller/E.Lacy/Mathews
WR-Megatron/Fitz/Amendola/H.Nicks
FLEX- RB/WR
TE-J.Camron/J.Thomas
c0megets0me
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions