0-3 again. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

0-3 again.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 0-3 again.

Postby dream_017 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:14 am

moochman wrote:Surely, Dream, you cannot deny Lions fans right to be concerned about another crappy start. You want to know just how bad it is? I have real concerns that the force feeding of Megatron vs the Pack was a result of the public outcry over his under use. I know that sounds crazy, but this is the Lions, a vitural Boobs~R~Us of head coaches. Worse yet, I've a bad feeling that King is playing be QB than we will see out of Stafford. So when you ask what was expected you have to understand that the angst expressed in this thread isn't over what we thought would happen, but what we fear is yet to happen.

So it isn't about the season not exceeding expectations, its the fear that we've seen this movie before. And it doesn't end well.

Remeber, you are talking to a season ticket holder. We are 0-4 and have only played 1 game at home. I have to go to 7 more games - with no realistic chance of seeing any team success. The problem I have is the unrealistic expectations that people have about how fast this team should be able to turn things arounds...and the quick trigger to re-start again from scratch (not saying that this is your idea). Injuries are a part of the game, but having 4 starters hurt on this team is a lot more detremental than most...because we don't have a second string or back-ups (yet). If we had an actual team we would be able to overcome some of these things that plague the team, but it is going to take some time and I see them headed in the right direction. Hell yes, I would love the ship to be turned around already, but realistically it is going to take time. No one coach, player or GM is going to be able to do it on their own. It is not as easy as benching a guy that is not performing. This is the Lions...again, baby steps. When we have back-ups, I will be the first one yelling to sit somebody down for not performing. When we have a defense, I will be the first one yelling about bad decision to go for it or not go for it on 4th down or at the end of the half. Until then, we have to live with what we have, but I do still see the hope. They are not going to hit on every draft pick or free agent that comes in, but I think their hit rate is pretty high so far.

When they (Mayhew, Lewand, Schwartz) first took over last year they had a town hall with the season ticket holders. At the time they couldn't say too much in specifics, but a lot of the the things they talked about...they are doing. They had a plan and gave a glimpse of it. So far, they are following that plan.

Some of the things they mentioned that they wanted to focus on was the running game and the lines. I think they have done that the Best( ;-) O:-) ) that they could at this point.

I know many people are down on the Lions and rightfully so. We want a winner here and like Spree said whoever does make this team a winner will be a hero here. I feel like we will get there sooner rather than later and the people in charge have a plan and are sticking with it.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:10 am

just to chime in again but i'm in agreement with Dream. i'm not even disapointed because my expectations were so low this year (hell i think we'll lose to the Rams at home this week). i've seen enough to at least see that they have a plan and they're sticking to it. it might take another year or two to even become respectable, but at least if we keep the same coach and scheme we can continue to draft players that fit that scheme and build some depth. the worst thing we could do is bring in another coach and a new scheme and start cutting players who dont fit and start the viscious cycle all over again
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:19 pm

While I may have suggested that Schwartz should be fired, that is in relation to the stupid play calling and his even more stupid responses when asked about them. I don't think firing the head coach is the best thing to do at this time either. Firing Mayhew would be okay if it meant hiring somebody qualified. He isn't doing much right now anyway, so replacing him would not be disruptive and would give a new GM time to evaluate the talent on this team first hand. I just have very little faith in Mayhew when I consider where he came from, that the Lions didn't bother looking for any real GM, and after examining his drafts and FA acquisitions.
We need to take baby steps and the first one we have to take is to stop thinking this is the Lions and start thinking this is an NFL franchise. It does not take long to turn a team around, and I'm sorry but they are not an expansion franchise. Not even close. They have some talent in place, and supposedly have added stud QB, TE, and S would have come nowhere close to living up to promise. Use Monday's game as exhibit one. the Pats have a CB named Chung who blocked kicks and returned one for a TD. Big impact, game altering plays from a young player. Oh, he was the guy the Pats picked right after we took Delmas. How many game changing plays has he had? Exactly.
I don't even need to talk about Pettigrew and who we could have had instead. Hated the decision from day one. You don't build a team around a TE. See, if the right moves are made, say taking one of the three stud LBs who were there, the Lions D may stop the Bears super sneaky screen pass attack and we win a game. Maybe Kuhn doesn't run through us and we get a chance to win another game. These are the smart decisions your GM should make. Not heading to the playoffs, but not 0-4 either. Very, very important to the growth of the team on so many levels. But our rookie GM, lil Matt, made an irrational pick and we now are on the brink of a very high draft pick that we cannot afford. that's how losing teams roll.
Look out below if we cannot beat the Rams Sunday. Do you realize that Buffalo and Tampa would be the only teams standing in our way of repeating history? We don't deserve this. Expect more.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:56 pm

It does not take long to turn a team around, and I'm sorry but they are not an expansion franchise. Not even close. They have some talent in place, and supposedly have added stud QB, TE, and S would have come nowhere close to living up to promise.

The crazy thing is we have all watched teams be good, get bad, and then get good again, all the while we hear the rebuilding crap. A couple of years you should be able to get things going in the right direction and in 3 and FOR SURE 4 be pushing for the playoffs. Look at the Chiefs.... And even the Rams I guess a little bit. Anyone wishing we had Bradford instead of Stafford? Ill admit i started thinking that but then i realized that they would just flip flop careers if Bradford was here and Stafford there. Whoever came here is doomed, whoever didnt is blessed.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dream_017 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:21 pm

latsprewell20002000 wrote:It does not take long to turn a team around, and I'm sorry but they are not an expansion franchise. Not even close. They have some talent in place, and supposedly have added stud QB, TE, and S would have come nowhere close to living up to promise.

The crazy thing is we have all watched teams be good, get bad, and then get good again, all the while we hear the rebuilding crap. A couple of years you should be able to get things going in the right direction and in 3 and FOR SURE 4 be pushing for the playoffs. Look at the Chiefs.... And even the Rams I guess a little bit. Anyone wishing we had Bradford instead of Stafford? Ill admit i started thinking that but then i realized that they would just flip flop careers if Bradford was here and Stafford there. Whoever came here is doomed, whoever didnt is blessed.

**shakes head**
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Previous

Return to Detroit Lions