James Starks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

James Starks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: James Starks dynasty value

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:53 pm

I can't be certain they'll retain BJax, but given Grant's apparently-manageable 3.5 million, I can't see them letting him go. Dimitri Nance and John Kuhn are present also- they can complement Jackson and/or Starks. I can't see them adding more bodies to this mix.

Given how the team seems to think about Starks, I don't see him as a sell-high. Not yet, anyways. I could see that being the case at the end of next year (assuming the CBA gets complete without much of a hitch) if Grant remains for the 2011 season.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Octopus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:20 am

Very impressive perfromance against the top run defense in the league last night. He even looked good in blitz pickup on a few plays. He runs real hard. At this point even if the Pack does bring Grant back (I'd say that's about a 50/50 prop), Starks should at least contribute in some form of a RBBC.

He's turning into a rookie draft steal - even for those that may have "reached" in the late first round. ;-D Let's put it this way, do you think those that followed the herd (or so called expert drafts) and took Golden Tate or Arrelius Benn, because they were supposed to in that spot, would trade those guys for Starks right now? Would a Starks owner make that deal?
Last edited by Dr. Octopus on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Octopus
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Dr. Octopus wrote:Very impressive perfromance against the top run defense in the league last night. He even looked good in blitz pickup on a few plays. He runs real hard. At this point even if the Pack does bring Grant back (I'd say that's about a 50/50 prop), Starks should at least contribute in some form of a RBBC.

He's turning ino a rookie draft steal - even for those that may have "reached" in the late first round. ;-D Let's put it this way, do you think those that followed the herd (or so called expert drafts) and took Golden Tate or Arrelius Benn, because they were supposed to in that spot, would trade those guys for Starks right now? Would a Starks owner make that deal?

There are alot of variables (like team need, roster depth), but I wouldn't do that in the leagues I have him.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby tom22406 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:08 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
Dr. Octopus wrote:Very impressive perfromance against the top run defense in the league last night. He even looked good in blitz pickup on a few plays. He runs real hard. At this point even if the Pack does bring Grant back (I'd say that's about a 50/50 prop), Starks should at least contribute in some form of a RBBC.

He's turning ino a rookie draft steal - even for those that may have "reached" in the late first round. ;-D Let's put it this way, do you think those that followed the herd (or so called expert drafts) and took Golden Tate or Arrelius Benn, because they were supposed to in that spot, would trade those guys for Starks right now? Would a Starks owner make that deal?

There are alot of variables (like team need, roster depth), but I wouldn't do that in the leagues I have him.

With him being a potential starter next year his value has never been higher so my answer is no to selling him for either of those 2 guys.
Anybody moving him and if so what are you getting in return?

The point about the rookie draft is spot on.If you feel you have spotted a talented player and need to "reach" for him a little earlier than the "experts" claim you should by all means do so and don't risk missing out on getting him when you could.It's real easy to sit back and say trade down and hope you can land him later but when you are in a dynasty league with very good owners who know talent you better act when you can to secure your guy.

Get your guy and move forward.If the "reach" works you look like a genius,if it fails the other owners will love you.
tom22406
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Dr. Octopus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:17 pm

tom22406 wrote: If the "reach" works you look like a genius

I wouldn't say genius....

:lol:
Dr. Octopus
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ek » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm skeptical and if I had him in a dynasty league, I'd try to sell high. I don't think Jackson will be back, but I would actually be kind of surprised if they got rid of Grant; I also think this is an organization that likes to spread things around between RBs. Now Grant-ed, so many teams are like this that you can't really count it against them, but the problem is they also really like to pass in the red zone. In the Super Bowl, they attempted 39 passes and 13 rushes despite being ahead by two scores for the majority of the game. That's an indication to me of how much "confidence" they have in Starks. The GB running back situation is going to be interesting next year; there's the Grant situation (per rotoworld he's almost 100% now, so he'll definitely be fine for the start of next year), I think Kuhn is a FA, and Brandon Jackson seems to have blown his chance to have a major role there...but I think that if anything Starks will be getting fewer carries next year when compared to the last stretch of this season, not more.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:01 pm

I can't see them getting rid of Grant, either. BJax certainly seems like he'll be gone. In that SB game, they deactivated Quinn Johnson, who'd been serving as a FB. However, Kuhn was active- I could envision next year he would be the full-time lead blocker for Grant and Starks. How the 2 perform next year would dictate any future RB-related moves.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:47 pm

Wenchtamer wrote:I think you mean "breakout" game. Last week certainly made him more interesting.

That said, I still see the Packers drafting an RB this year. Grant has not been that spectacular and Starks is injury prone. If I owned Starks I would be looking to sell him in the offseason while his value is piqued because I think it's a longshot that he's ever the feature back for any length of time without getting hurt. He's a tall guy with a high pad level and that's a recipe for injury.

I agree with all of this.

Your taking a big risk to sit on Starks and hope he becomes the feature back eventually. Now there is alot to like, the playoff games, the high powered offense, but I don't see him being a consistent performer without getting hurt either. I know it's tough to predict these things, but I'd rather take my chances trying to sell high. Just like I thought Torain was a sell high candidate, Pierre Thomas, etc.

Every now and then in these scenarios you end up with a stud longterm, and he stays consistent. I think Arian Foster falls into this category. For Starks, I'd shop him around to see what you can get. If your not comfortable with the value wait until he gets a few starts and has some big weeks, I just don't see him being reliable longterm and that's what a Dynasty is about.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby thriftyrocker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Wait Pierre was a sell high? He resigned with NOS. He'll have the value he always did if he can stay healthy (which you can say about any RB from MJD to Starks). Ivory was a sell high.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:37 pm

thriftyrocker wrote:Wait Pierre was a sell high? He resigned with NOS. He'll have the value he always did if he can stay healthy (which you can say about any RB from MJD to Starks). Ivory was a sell high.

I think he meant back when people were crowning Thomas an elite back a season or two ago.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk