James Starks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

James Starks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: James Starks dynasty value

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:03 am

Kareighuis wrote:
thriftyrocker wrote:Wait Pierre was a sell high? He resigned with NOS. He'll have the value he always did if he can stay healthy (which you can say about any RB from MJD to Starks). Ivory was a sell high.

I think he meant back when people were crowning Thomas an elite back a season or two ago.

He was a sell high before he was a buy low. Haha. I checked one public rankings and he was never higher than RB16 (summer 2009), and he definitely delivered RB2 numbers for a few fits and bursts. He was #20 RB in 2008 and #21 RB in 2009 (not great, but not much lower than where he'd be ranked). Looking at that high point in value, the guys immediately following him have no greater value today (Slaton, Lynch, Portis, ...). I think if you bought high on him (bought at the high point) you did ok and still have a decent asset today.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Octopus » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Kareighuis wrote:I can't see them getting rid of Grant, either. BJax certainly seems like he'll be gone. In that SB game, they deactivated Quinn Johnson, who'd been serving as a FB. However, Kuhn was active- I could envision next year he would be the full-time lead blocker for Grant and Starks. How the 2 perform next year would dictate any future RB-related moves.

From all I have read Starks and Grant will compete for carries in camp this season (assuming there is a camp), but even if Grant wins the battle Starks should at the very least take over Brandon Jackson's 3rd Down / COP role. While I think Grant is generally under-rated, it will be interesting to see if Starks builds on his playoff success. You have to figure he's earned the trust of the coaching staff at this point.
Dr. Octopus
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Indibuck » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:00 pm

My gut feeling is that Grant is the odds-on favorite to be the starter in Week 1... recent reports have said he is near 100% and good to go. He's never been flashy, but he's been efficient, which is all GB really needs to keep their passing O going. And better yet, he's been a strong finisher... a huge plus come fantasy playoff time. At this point, he's the guy I would like to own... and if I don't, I'm going to see if I can buy him on the cheap.

But I think the draft will tell us what the Packers think about both Grant and Starks. I firmly believe that they will indeed draft a RB; the question is when. If it's early, all bets are certainly off. If it's late, I like Grant's chances to re-emerge as the starter and workhorse.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Dr. Octopus wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:I can't see them getting rid of Grant, either. BJax certainly seems like he'll be gone. In that SB game, they deactivated Quinn Johnson, who'd been serving as a FB. However, Kuhn was active- I could envision next year he would be the full-time lead blocker for Grant and Starks. How the 2 perform next year would dictate any future RB-related moves.

From all I have read Starks and Grant will compete for carries in camp this season (assuming there is a camp), but even if Grant wins the battle Starks should at the very least take over Brandon Jackson's 3rd Down / COP role. While I think Grant is generally under-rated, it will be interesting to see if Starks builds on his playoff success. You have to figure he's earned the trust of the coaching staff at this point.

I'm surprised you'd say that. I thought the strength of Starks's game was his running ability (though I could be wrong). And I thought that both Grant and Jackson were decent pass-catchers out of the backfield. If anything, I'd expect it to be the opposite (Jackson on 3rd downs still and Grant/Starks battling for the starting job [with Grant probably cut if he doesn't win it].)
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:59 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
Dr. Octopus wrote:

I'm surprised you'd say that. I thought the strength of Starks's game was his running ability (though I could be wrong). And I thought that both Grant and Jackson were decent pass-catchers out of the backfield. If anything, I'd expect it to be the opposite (Jackson on 3rd downs still and Grant/Starks battling for the starting job [with Grant probably cut if he doesn't win it].)

Yes, Jackson is, but Grant has never been known as a receiver. Jackson if a FA and is most likely gone. Grant isn't in that severe risk of being cut. If he were, the contract issue is more likely to play into it. Rotoworld- "3.5 million base salary, Grant is slated to receive a $1.75 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the new league year, a $250,000 workout bonus, and another $250,000 roster bonus in the 2011 offseason". While his base salary is 3.5 mil, he gets another 2.25 in the offseason. So, if he survives the offseason (really likely, IMO) he'll be around for the season. What happens after is where things can get dicey/interesting.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Re: James Starks

Postby Dr. Octopus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:14 pm

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel calls the Packers' backfield James Starks' "world if he wants it."
According to beat writer Tom Silverstein, the Packers haven't boasted a back with Starks' skill-set since Ahman Green's prime. One member of the coaching staff has even dubbed Starks a "poor man's Adrian Peterson." It's high praise bordering on hyperbole, though we agree with the Journal-Sentinel's suggestion that Starks could play Dorsey Levens to Ryan Grant's Edgar Bennett in an effective timeshare reminiscent of the 1996 Super Bowl season
Dr. Octopus
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Re: James Starks

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Lots of things to respond to-

1- While he hasn't blown the doors off, Grant has been consistent and doesn't demand the ball in pass-heavy offense.

2- Starks isn't "injury-prone". One devastating injury knocked him out for his senior season and led him to be PUP for the 1st 6 weeks of his NFL season. It's not like he's in and out of lineups.

3- Considering they drafted Starks in the 6th and didn't IR him in 2010 but instead kept him on the PUP, cut Al Harris (a local favorite) to make room for Starks and has drawn comparisons to Adrian Peterson from his position coach, I can't see them drafting a RB.

4- Starks does run high, but that's something that can be corrected. And Peterson runs too hard, creating the chance for a fumble.

5- BJax is virtually a lock to be with another team.

6- Grant is a FA. He's due 3.5 mill for 2011. The trick, Rotoworld notes, is that "Grant is slated to receive a $1.75 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the new league year, a $250,000 workout bonus, and another $250,000 roster bonus in the 2011 offseason." So, if they cut him, it'd likely be before the 15th day of the new year. If he makes it pass that point, he should be with the team for the rest of the season.

tom22406 wrote:I feel that in this system he could be a top 10 RB with his skill set.They haven't really used him much in the passing game and that was one of his strengths at UB.His vlocking needs work which is why he is not trusted on 3rd down but with some coaching and hard work he could also help in that role.

7- His receiving skills at UB are good, but he lacks in a number of areas in terms of blocking.

8- Nance is someone to consider in GB's backfield, but he's a slow-ish power back with injury issues.

9- Starks' breakout in the playoffs wasn't on the scale of Greene's in 2009-2010, but I can imagine it will lead some to rank him high enough not to be considered a sleeper.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Football Talk