Time to Buy Low and Dump Busts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Time to Buy Low and Dump Busts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Time to Buy Low and Dump Busts?

Postby Deeman8351 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:01 pm

After week 3 is when I like start doing some trades because you're finally getting to figure out players roles in offenses. Just want to get some opinions on a few players. And when I mean buy low it may not be that they are doing horrible, but maybe their owners are getting frustrated and would get ride of them at a cheaper than usual price.

Buying Low Candidates
L. Fitzgerald- Has not put up numbers with the qb problem, but he has to start putting up numbers eventually and chemistry will develop soon enough.
D. Williams- Hopefully John Fox will figure out he needs to run with Williams more than 10 times a game with Clausen just starting. Only fear with Williams is if Clausen doesn't get any better every team they play will stack against the run.
M. Jones-Drew- He has started off pretty slow without gettin in the endzone, but that can't last much longer.
D. Bowe
B. Wells
J. Harrison

One of my team's currently has Crabtree and S. Greene. Really don't know if I should cut my losses selling for cheap or maybe just ride them out since their stock is so low.

Thanks
Deeman8351
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Time to Buy Low and Dump Busts?

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:24 pm

holy cow...i think that team in your sig has the top 5 busts so far...wow. have you averaged 50 points a week?
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby u_fig_eater » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:41 pm

FYI I wouldn't add Crabtree if he was free (as he is in at least one of my leagues).
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Deeman, too many of your reasons are "he has to turn it around sometime" kind of arguments. I'll just focus on the players-

L. Fitzgerald- Hold. He won't put up WR1 numbers for your team. If you can get good value, trade him. I don't expect him to stink all year.

D. Williams- Sell. Lack of passing game, QB issues (Moore wasn't the answer, Clausen won't be this year, if at all) aren't the biggest issues. The loss of OL Jeff Otah is the biggest problem and the only logical reason to be optimistic.

M. Jones-Drew- Buy. He's valued too low right now. I don't necessarily expect him to blow up, but RB2 numbers seems reasonable, in spite of the passing game issues. I don't expect Trent Edwards to be much of an upgrade over Garrard- if at all.

D. Bowe- Sell. He is what he is- a weak WR3/4, at best. If you can find someone who values him according to his preseason expoectations, then go ahead.

B. Wells- Buy. He looked good when he played Sunday. He hasn't given his owner a reason to sell, so you might not be able to get much of a reduced price.

J. Harrison- Sell. Not because Hillis seized the starting job with 144 yards and a TD against the divisional Ravens. It's because the coaching staff hasn't trusted Harrison and has been looking for someone else to seize the role.

Crabtree- Tentative buy. If his owner wants to be compensated according to his ADP, I'd back off. But, if they acknowledge his 74th rank among WR in PPR, then I'd be much more interested. I expect him to become a strong WR3 from here on out.

Greene- Buy. I'm not expecting him to perform to some people's inflated preseason expectations, but the RB2 for a run-heavy team with a great o-line, behind a RB with repeated injury issues the past few years, still has value. He'd be more valuable than any waiver wire pickup.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Deeman8351 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:01 pm

My league is 14 team PPR, but yea its been pretty rough with Kolb, Crabtree, and Greene. I'm hoping to make a few moves this week gettin Jones-Drews, Wells, and hopefully a solid QB. I kind of want to take a gamble on D. Williams just because his owner in my league is willing to sell pretty cheap and the Panthers have never had a good passing game and I'm sure Fox realized after this past week he's going to have to start giving him the ball more.
Deeman8351
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:57 pm

Deeman8351 wrote:My league is 14 team PPR, but yea its been pretty rough with Kolb, Crabtree, and Greene. I'm hoping to make a few moves this week gettin Jones-Drews, Wells, and hopefully a solid QB. I kind of want to take a gamble on D. Williams just because his owner in my league is willing to sell pretty cheap and the Panthers have never had a good passing game and I'm sure Fox realized after this past week he's going to have to start giving him the ball more.

Otah should be back for the majority of the season (though probably not until after the week 6 bye), so I fully expect that the Panthers will eventually get the ground game going. I'm just not so sure that Williams will be the main beneficiary when that happens. If you buy low on him, I'd consider buying low on Stewart as well, though owning two RBs on the same team that is playing poorly is a burden on any roster.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby petedog9 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:23 am

I just nabbed Ryan Matthews on the cheap (Mike wallace) .. From a guy who had him riding his pine. Shonne Green was flat out dumped this week as well so I added him to my bench. Both of these guys are great buy lows. Especially Matthews now that he is healthy and getting his left tackle back in Mc Neil.

My Rbs are now:
ADP / Menenhall / Greene / Matthews / Best ;-D
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:43 pm

if you can pickup greene for a song, i think he's a decent buy low. lt has a lot of mileage on those tires, it wouldn't be shocking if he were to get hurt or fade out a bit down the stretch.

also like mjd, if the price is right. i listen to a lot of sports talk radio, and basically what the fantasy experts were thinking on one particular show is that as jacksonville's season continues to slip away, they're going to put the rock in mjd's hand and let him do work. in other words, we should expect a healthy dose of mjd, mjd, mjd from here on out. however, you may want to pull the trigger before this week, as he's historically owned the colts.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:00 am

What about Colston? I'm wanting to sell, he's my WR2 but I'm not sure if I trust him enough to even be a bye week fill in.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby u_fig_eater » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:15 am

Colston is IMO a buy low. Same system, same guys, same Drew Brees. I want him bad.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk