Maroney: hold, sell? what have you gotten for him? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Maroney: hold, sell? what have you gotten for him?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Maroney: hold, sell? what have you gotten for him?

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:12 pm

I snatched up Maroney last Friday when news broke that Moreno was out for week 3. Granted, it was against the Colts pee-wee league run defense, but he did have a decent game, which could of been very good if he stretched out his ball-carrying arm a half of a second earlier.

Given that Moreno is looking to be out week 4, and that hamstring injuries are not the rosiest ailments, what do you think Maroney's value (perceived or otherwise) is?

I made two offers for him,
Maroney for Demaryius Thomas (to the Moreno owner)
Maroney for Louis Murphy

Both were declined. So, at least judging by my league, he's still cold in most owner's eyes given that they wouldn't trade away a bench wr. Are you trying to push the issue and try to move him this week while you can, or holding and hoping that Moreno continues to have injury problems? If you've traded him this week, list what you got in return or any offers you've received for him.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Maroney: hold, sell? what have you gotten for him?

Postby PuntinFool » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:19 pm

You would be lucky to get a WR3 type for him from the owner of Moreno. Maroney stunk in New England, he looked horrible last week, and unless one has faith that McDaniels can get the fabled Great Maroney out of the guy it is doubtful he'll arise to anything of worth. Knowing this, your first offer is feasible but the second was not very good.

Sell high on Maroney's apparent arrival in Denver to a skittish Moreno owner, but anyone who owns Maroney shouldn't get too cocky of what he'll bring back because he hasn't done anything to prove he's truly worthy of ownership.
Retired (temporarily?) from fantasy football.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:40 pm

Well, I think that saying that Maroney was horrible last week is a little harsh. He got significantly more work than buckhalter, and was active in the passing game, and was a few inches short from getting a score.

I'm not expecting him to turn into a bonafide stud, but if Moreno were to be dinged all season, he would certainly be useful and startable in the flex spot.

:-?
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PuntinFool » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:55 pm

Jimboozie wrote:Well, I think that saying that Maroney was horrible last week is a little harsh. He got significantly more work than buckhalter, and was active in the passing game, and was a few inches short from getting a score.

I'm not expecting him to turn into a bonafide stud, but if Moreno were to be dinged all season, he would certainly be useful and startable in the flex spot.

:-?

To some the analysis is harsh if one tries the positive side of things as you listed, but as one who has watched him for years in New England it's the harsh facts. Still dances, still didn't get in the end zone after a few tries (which explains why Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk screen passes, and even Tom Brady himself were preferable there), and still didn't capitalize on a posh assignment (2.0 ypc against Indy). Granted, it's a new offense with an old coach, but I'm still going with 'horrible'. If one hasn't followed Maroney for years then one can pump up last week's stats and current position with a more upbeat tick, but a WR3/4 is likely his ceiling in return even for the most optimistic. I wouldn't trust him enough to give up someone like Louis Murphy.
Retired (temporarily?) from fantasy football.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby brikz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:00 pm

Meh, 12 carries for 24 yards is pretty bad. Especially when you consider this was the same defense that Foster gashed for 230 yards. I watched the game last week, and he was pedestrian at best. I'm a Moreno owner and I actually need a 1 week fill in this week. I have no interest in Maroney.
brikz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:55 pm

Ok, looks like I might have just got hit in the face with a cold splash of reality. Regardless, I'm not dropping him or anything until I see that Moreno has recovered fully, because a starting RB with little competition for touches is a huge commodity in fantasy football, especially in this era or time-shares.

That said, how do RBs typically recover from hamstring injuries? This is now two this year for Moreno (once in preseason). I remember a few years ago, as a Viking, that Randy Moss was plagued all season by hammy issues, and was never his usual dominant self that year before they ended up shutting him down.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:05 pm

Not a doctor, but IMO they are prone to re-injury.
It should be emphasized that an early rehabilitation program does not mean a quick return to the desired usual activity. Given the type of individual that usually sustains a significant hamstring injury, it is usually difficult task to keep athletic patients off the playing field. Reinjury is extremely common and is often due to avoidable premature return to sport. Reinjury not only prolongs recovery, it also increases the risk of permanent damage.

Full return is usually possible only after maximal flexibility and optimal strength have been obtained. Depending on the severity of injury, the entire rehabilitative process may take several months.

http://www.medicinenet.com/hamstring_in ... tm#4howare

Moreno has a hamstring injury in both legs. He's a slowish player to begin with, and IMO this kills his value for a significant time period.
Last edited by u_fig_eater on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:18 pm

Hey boozie. Good to see ya.

I had to pick up Maroney too when Moreno got his hamstrings in a bunch. I'm not expecting much from him, but with my other RBs conveniently injured I do what I needed to. Hamstrings seem about as tender as turf toe... can really plague a guy through the season if he doesn't let it fully heal. SO, productive or not, Maroney should get a couple more games to try and build value.

BTW, the rent checks for my sig way back when bounced; with interest at this point you owe me one raff's mom.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:18 pm

thanks fig eater for the post, definitely makes me want to hold onto maroney given the dangers of hamstring injuries, and since i can't give him away for a song right now.

yo scotta, so i owe you raff's mom? how bout i buy you a beer if i'm ever in the neighborhood (that's like 300% ROI)! :-b
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:15 am

Just piling on...

I have one team where I'm desperately, desperately, in need of a RB. Ineffectiveness/injuries have forced me to put Mike Goodson in. I'd rather have him (or BenJarvus Green-Ellis) over Maroney.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Return to Football Talk