How do you deal with "underperforming studs?" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How do you deal with "underperforming studs?"

Moderator: Football Moderators

How do you deal with "underperforming studs?"

Postby vykeengfan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:25 pm

going in to the season, i swore my team was stacked. after 4 weeks, i'm going to be the lone winless team in my league. i honestly don't know what to do. i've never been in this position before. if i trade my guys, i'm not going to get what i would feel is fair value for them, but if i keep them, i guess i could go the rest of the season winless, or at least at the bottom of the league. how do you deal w/ guys that were supposed to be/historically have been studs, but are doing jack this year?
i'll post my roster below. it's a 10 team, 3 regular plus 1 rookie keeper league. any input would be helpful.
QB: Cutler/Mcnabb
RB: Turner
RB: Rice
WR: RMoss
WR: Fitz
Flex: Mathews
TE: Witten
K: Stream
Def: Stream
Bench: Ward, Mason, Wallace, TJones, Beanie, Tolbert, JJones

Scoring:
PaYd - 1 point for every 25 PaYds; PaTD - 6 points; PaInt - -2 points; Pa2P - 2 points
Recpt - .5 points; ReYd - .1 points for every 1 ReYd; ReTD - 6 points; Re2P - 2 points
RuYd - .1 points for every 1 RuYd; RuTD - 6 points; Ru2P - 2 points
FL - -2 points
RTD - 6 points
vykeengfan
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How do you deal with "underperforming studs?"

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:59 am

a team in my league traded rice and his Qb for rodgers, and another team traded fitz to get brady. both teams are doing better now

i used to not think QBs were crutial...just draft 2 late and be ok. but it seems more and more that getting a consistent Qb is the way to go

also ive been learning that you dont need 2 stud Wrs. there are plenty of them to fill in yoru WR2 spot. never again am i going 2 Wrs early. so i would get rid of fitz to get a stud QB or fitz and rice to get foster, ad, CJ or any other Rb you really like
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Stelly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:20 am

vykeengfan wrote:going in to the season, i swore my team was stacked. after 4 weeks, i'm going to be the lone winless team in my league. i honestly don't know what to do. i've never been in this position before. if i trade my guys, i'm not going to get what i would feel is fair value for them, but if i keep them, i guess i could go the rest of the season winless, or at least at the bottom of the league. how do you deal w/ guys that were supposed to be/historically have been studs, but are doing jack this year?
i'll post my roster below. it's a 10 team, 3 regular plus 1 rookie keeper league. any input would be helpful.
QB: Cutler/Mcnabb
RB: Turner
RB: Rice
WR: RMoss
WR: Fitz
Flex: Mathews
TE: Witten
K: Stream
Def: Stream
Bench: Ward, Mason, Wallace, TJones, Beanie, Tolbert, JJones

Scoring:
PaYd - 1 point for every 25 PaYds; PaTD - 6 points; PaInt - -2 points; Pa2P - 2 points
Recpt - .5 points; ReYd - .1 points for every 1 ReYd; ReTD - 6 points; Re2P - 2 points
RuYd - .1 points for every 1 RuYd; RuTD - 6 points; Ru2P - 2 points
FL - -2 points
RTD - 6 points

We have almost the same team - Cutler, McNabb, Rice, and Moss all in common.

Wanna go cry in our beers together!?
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:14 pm

In your situation, I wouldn't worry so much about getting what I perceive as fair value for my players. I'd look for owners in dire need of what you have. Some of those players are seen by some as great buys, Fitz and Rice possibly being the most noteworthy, though some are mentioning Hines Ward and Mike Wallace now as well.

I would personally try to sell your starting WRs- don't expect Moss or Fitz to justify their ADP.

Also, in this format, where ints are -2 and and passing ayrdage only 1 per 25, Cutler doesn't have as much value.

Veering away from the personal roster examination route, I would say it depends on whether you think the player can perform to your expectations shortly. I would put Rice and Turner in that category.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby u_fig_eater » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:38 pm

Kind of an aside here...but I've found it impossible to trade for a top-shelf WR. People just don't want to give them up if they have one.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:54 pm

Here's a WR stud you can buy on the cheap - Mike Wallace. Get him now while you can.
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby u_fig_eater » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:11 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Here's a WR stud you can buy on the cheap - Mike Wallace. Get him now while you can.

Can't. I already have him ;-D
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby vykeengfan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:28 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:
thejusman1 wrote:Here's a WR stud you can buy on the cheap - Mike Wallace. Get him now while you can.

Can't. I already have him ;-D

haha. thx, fig
vykeengfan
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 6)

Return to Football Talk