McNair news... doesn't look good - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McNair news... doesn't look good

Moderator: Football Moderators

McNair news... doesn't look good

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:51 am

I know he's the toughest QB in the league (perhaps save Favre), but this doesn't sound good. Any Titans fans with info?

McNair sidelined by 'freak' injury
By JEFF LEGWOLD
Staff Writer

ATLANTA — One small step for Steve McNair, one giant groan for the Titans.

All it took was one awkward shuffle by McNair in the second quarter of yesterday's 38-31 victory over the Atlanta Falcons, one awkward step to put the Titans nose-to-nose with a frightening scenario.

They may have to play a few games without the man who was constructing an MVP-worthy season.

Coach Jeff Fisher said the full extent of the injury, a calf strain, won't be known until today, but last night he was quick to say McNair is doubtful for Monday night's game against the New York Jets.

The injury occurred on the most innocuous of plays.

''Just a freak deal,'' McNair said. ''Just one of those things that happens, and today was my day.''

On a second-and-7 from the Tennessee 7 midway through the second quarter, McNair flipped a 5-yard pass to tight end Frank Wycheck.

As he backed up after making the throw, to keep from being hit by Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney, McNair said he felt something pop in his right calf.

''I threw it to Frank and was on my way dropping back, and all of a sudden, it just tweaked,'' McNair said. ''Nobody hit me or anything, just an awkward position coming down. I just felt it pop and spasm up real quick, and I just couldn't put any pressure on it at that point.''

McNair will have magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) on the calf this morning to determine the full extent of the injury.

A major consideration in his recovery: As a right-handed quarterback, McNair's right foot is his plant foot when he throws. It takes the brunt of his weight as he drops back. Handoffs wouldn't be much easier.

''It's my back foot, so I've got to plant it on the drop-back to stop,'' McNair said. ''So that's probably the worst thing I could do. And when I go to my left to hand off, I push off on it.

''That's the main thing, and it's a pain right now.''

Wide receiver Drew Bennett suffered a more serious version of the injury — at least that's what Fisher and McNair were hoping last night — in Jacksonville last month.

Bennett has missed the last three games and may not play against the Jets. Last week Fisher said he wasn't sure Bennett would even be able to practice this week.

Bennett spent some time with McNair on the bench yesterday.

''Drew gave me all his notes, his handbook on how to treat it, what to do, what not to do,'' McNair said. ''I don't think it's as bad as Drew. Hopefully, I won't be out as long.''

McNair spent the second half roaming the sideline in street clothes and was wearing a walking boot on his right leg when he left the stadium as well.

He also tried to help backup quarterback Billy Volek when he could, especially against Atlanta's 3-4 defense, which the Titans don't see all that often.

''Just little pointers,'' McNair said, ''just told him to be patient and let the game come to him.''

McNair has suffered a variety of injuries, but this was a new one.

''We're just going to take it day-by-day and roll with it,'' he said. ''(The pain) ranks up there right now. I've got a real sore spot in my calf. It's aching … it's a pretty high rank right now.''

If McNair is unable to at least back up Billy Volek against the Jets, rookie Jason Gesser will be the No. 2 QB. Gesser has yet to play.

http://tennessean.com/sports/titans/arc ... D=43032667
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Super Freak » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:52 am

thats bad for a guy in my league he depends on McNair
Moss IS the best WR in the game...
-Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
AKA Super Freak
The Super Freak Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:58 am

At least I now have a reason to bench him. I will put Hasselbeck in my linup now. I have been sticking with McNair and Hass has been out scoring him like the last 4 weeks.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby zombiez » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:05 pm

Gotta give credit to Volek for holden things together....I didn't see this game how did he look?.....just looking at stats also looks like they gave more of a workload to Eddie....could help his value since McNair is hurt
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Slingblade » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:23 pm

ATLANTA, GA, Nov. 23, 2003 (AP) -- Little-used backup Billy Volek walked into the huddle, with the Tennessee Titans trailing, and immediately felt comfortable with his teammates.

"You can see in their eyes that they have confidence in me," Volek said.

For good reason, too.

Volek took over for Steve McNair and threw his second career touchdown pass, rallying the Titans from a 21-point deficit in a 38-31 victory over the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday.

McNair, the leading passer in the NFL, left in the second quarter when he hurt his right calf.

After he threw a 5-yard pass to Frank Wycheck, defensive end Patrick Kerney simply touched McNair, who took a tentative step and immediately reached for his calf.

At the time, the team listed his return as questionable, but he didn't come back. Afterward, Titans coach Jeff Fisher said McNair was doubtful for next week's game against the New York Jets.

"If I get the nod next week, I'm going to go out and do what I can do," Volek said. "We'll see what happens."

He finished 9-for-15 for 117 yards. Before this season, he hadn't thrown a pass since 2001.

Atlanta (2-9) again played without starting quarterback Michael Vick, out since breaking his leg in the preseason. Earlier in the week, he sprained his ankle in practice, further delaying his return.

"We walked out there and we gave them everything we had," Falcons coach Dan Reeves said. "We don't apologize to anybody."

Justin McCareins scored twice for the Titans (9-2), including a 58-yard punt return late in the third quarter that gave them the lead for good. In the fourth quarter, he caught a 14-yard TD pass from Volek to make it 38-24.

"It shows you what kind of man he is," McCareins said of Volek. "He came in in a really tough situation and really took control of the offense and the huddle. He does that every day in practice."

The Falcons cut the lead to seven on Doug Johnson's 41-yard pass to Peerless Price, then got the ball back in the final two minutes. But a fourth-down pass from Johnson to Brian Kozlowski fell short, and Tennessee ran out the clock.

"I am really proud of the way that Billy handled the game and also the way the players around him stepped up, which is what has to happen," Fisher said. "This was a huge comeback for us and a huge character game."

Johnson started for the first time since the sixth game, replacing Kurt Kittner. He finished with 276 yards, including an 86-yard pass to Warrick Dunn in the first quarter that gave Atlanta a 21-0 lead.

The quick start led to a 21-14 halftime lead for the Falcons, the fifth time this season they've led at the half. They fell to 0-5 in those games.

"During all of these losses, somehow and someway, we've squandered away the lead," Price said.

Allen Rossum ran a punt back 59 yards for the first touchdown, and T.J. Duckett added a 2-yard run to make it 14-0.

Then on third-and-14 from the 14, Johnson avoided the blitz and threw a screen to Dunn. He meandered his way across the field and through the defense, helped by a crushing block by tight end Alge Crumpler.

"It really wasn't even to Warrick," Johnson said. "As I caught the snap, I told him to get out and he just kind of slipped by me. I threw him the ball and he just made a great play up the sideline."

The Titans hadn't allowed an opponent to score a TD in the first quarter in 17 of their previous 19 games.

But McNair threw two touchdown passes to Wycheck before he left, then Volek brought Tennessee back from a 10-point deficit in the third quarter. Eddie George, who ran for 115 yards, scored on a 2-yard run to cut it to three, then McCareins gave the Titans the lead with his return.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:45 pm

So is Volek a vaible pick up and to play this week? I may pick him up just to keep him off a team that needs a QB.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:54 pm

M_Zimm wrote:So is Volek a vaible pick up and to play this week? I may pick him up just to keep him off a team that needs a QB.
good question and good strategy ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Paladyr » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:55 pm

i picked him up and plan on playing him.
Go Bengals!
'06 FF Champion!
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wesley Walker » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:17 pm

With that O-line I'd say yes, Volek is a viable pick-up. I'm thinking about getting him on my roster (even though I have Hass too) just in case McNair is out longer than expected and Hass cools off.

But then there's Jake Delhomme, who's Week 15/16 matchups make him an attractive QB to have for the fantasy playoffs.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby deftdelivery » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:50 pm

hmmm
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery