Tampa 2 Defense is Bad for Fantasy Football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tampa 2 Defense is Bad for Fantasy Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tampa 2 Defense is Bad for Fantasy Football

Postby WeekSixteen » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:18 pm

I've been starting to notice that whenever an X receiver, which I assume is a slot receiver, plays a Tampa 2 defense that the WRs end up doing very poorly. I know there are many X receivers out there but the 2 that made me start paying attention are Ocho Cinco and Greg Jennings.

A Tampa 2 defense puts two safeties deep and their job is to take away the vertical passing game, which guys like, Jennings and Ocho Cinco make their bread and butter on. The defenses don't even have be that good, the scheme has been reducing X WRs to barely startable. When Greg Jennings went up against the Bears and their Tampa 2 scheme he had something like 2 catches. Recently Ocho Cinco went up against Washington's Tampa 2 and ended up with just a couple of catches.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been watching this and uses this as a reason to bench a good WR who plays the X. I'm not super up on my football terminology and I don't watch a ton of games so I'm not familiar with who all uses the Tampa 2 and if they use it all the time or just on a game-by-game basis, i.e. Chicago and Washington.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Tampa 2 Defense is Bad for Fantasy Football

Postby GoodOl'Days » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:24 am

I'd guess that teams will adjust as the season goes on. I'd also say the defense might just be good for FFB because it adds a layer of complexity.
GoodOl'Days
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Tampa 2 Defense is Bad for Fantasy Football

Postby LMack » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:43 pm

I'm hoping the Finley injury will be able to switch up Jennings role a little bit.
What I see happening most times is teams are willing to have their deep threat neutralized in return for passes over the middle. The games where Jennings and Ochocinco don't contribute, Donald Drive and TO do.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk