Deon Branch to Patriots - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Deon Branch to Patriots

Moderator: Football Moderators

Deon Branch to Patriots

Postby Picksburgh » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:40 pm

According to Adam Schefter the rumors were true.

"Filed to ESPN: Seattle traded WR Deion Branch to New England for a fourth-round pick. Bet Tom Brady is happy."

Does this instantly make Branch worth a top waiver and leave Tate right were he was before the Moss trade?
Picksburgh
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Deon Branch to Patriots

Postby biju » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:15 pm

I guess the Patriots didn't know we would have given him to them for a bag of flaming crap. I wonder exactly how much of that $5M contract in 2010 we're carrying...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Picksburgh » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:19 pm

biju wrote:I guess the Patriots didn't know we would have given him to them for a bag of flaming crap. I wonder exactly how much of that $5M contract in 2010 we're carrying...

They essentially got him him for Maroney (they gave up the pick they got from the Broncos) so it was a good trade IMO. I haven't seen the guy play since his days with the Pats though and vaguely remember talks about Seahawks wanting to drop him last year, but that might have been someone else. Just curious on some opinions on the fantasy implications.
Picksburgh
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby iloveny18 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:23 pm

I have been following this story ever since Moss got traded and heard that Brandon Tate is garbage. I picked up branch in one of my leagues as a hunch when I heard the rumors. IMO i can see branch as a #3 wr just for the fact that brady was lobbying for him- he is obviously comfortable with him and when welker gets double covered brady will probably look his way rather than the inexperienced tate.
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby biju » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:55 am

Picksburgh wrote:
biju wrote:I guess the Patriots didn't know we would have given him to them for a bag of flaming crap. I wonder exactly how much of that $5M contract in 2010 we're carrying...

They essentially got him him for Maroney (they gave up the pick they got from the Broncos) so it was a good trade IMO. I haven't seen the guy play since his days with the Pats though and vaguely remember talks about Seahawks wanting to drop him last year, but that might have been someone else. Just curious on some opinions on the fantasy implications.

Just because the Patriots fleeced the Broncos on their trade doesn't make this a good one. The Seahawks can essentially do the same thing by saying we traded a 4th for Lynch, but each trade needs to evaluated separately.

Having said that, a quick look at Branch's numbers both in NE and in SEA show some very surprising information:

Code: Select all
Team        Years    Catches   Yards   YPC     TDs
Patriots    02-05    213       2744    12.88   14
Seahawks    06-10    190       2347    12.35   15

From this is would appear that the only thing holding Branch back has been the injuries and the last two years of bad Seahawks play. It's possible that he might end up being pretty good for the Patriots. But Patriots fans' eyes will collectively roll if/when Branch is injured again. This guy is too brittle for normal use.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:55 am

biju wrote:Having said that, a quick look at Branch's numbers both in NE and in SEA show some very surprising information:

From this is would appear that the only thing holding Branch back has been the injuries and the last two years of bad Seahawks play. It's possible that he might end up being pretty good for the Patriots. But Patriots fans' eyes will collectively roll if/when Branch is injured again. This guy is too brittle for normal use.

From what I've read of Seahawks fans who have watched him play, he's actually improved since leaving the Patriots; they say he's a better blocker than he used to be, for example.

The 'Hawks received the maximum that the Patriots could pay for him in draft picks, because anything more would have equated to a straight up trade equivalent of "Moss for Branch" which would just make the Patriots' front office look very bad. It works out in the wash to more of a "Maroney for Branch" trade, which the Pats would have jumped on.

I think this is a great move for the Pats offense. Nobody straight up replaces Moss, but this allows the Pats to play to their overall strength, high percentage plays. Many of Brady's bad plays have been trying to force the ball to Moss to keep him satisfied. Now he can focus on the open receiver, without worrying about placating the receiving legend's ego.

Fantasy-wise, Branch should get his share of the ball without making anyone else irrelevant.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Dolfan19 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:04 am

This reminds me of the Vikings this year... August 24th - Vikings sign veteran receiver Javon Walker, September 4th - Vikings waive Walker. Agreed that trading away Maroney for a 4th rounder was a great trade for the Pats, and giving it up for Branch was horrible.
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 53)

Postby biju » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:06 pm

DraftDodger wrote:
biju wrote:Having said that, a quick look at Branch's numbers both in NE and in SEA show some very surprising information:

From what I've read of Seahawks fans who have watched him play, he's actually improved since leaving the Patriots; they say he's a better blocker than he used to be, for example.

The 'Hawks received the maximum that the Patriots could pay for him in draft picks, because anything more would have equated to a straight up trade equivalent of "Moss for Branch" which would just make the Patriots' front office look very bad. It works out in the wash to more of a "Maroney for Branch" trade, which the Pats would have jumped on.

I think this is a great move for the Pats offense. Nobody straight up replaces Moss, but this allows the Pats to play to their overall strength, high percentage plays. Many of Brady's bad plays have been trying to force the ball to Moss to keep him satisfied. Now he can focus on the open receiver, without worrying about placating the receiving legend's ego.

Fantasy-wise, Branch should get his share of the ball without making anyone else irrelevant.

When healthy, the guy has been great. I think that's why we've continued to hang on to him even with that ridiculous contract. With Branch however is that caveat that he might not be able to stay healthy. I wish him the best and it's too bad he couldn't stay healthy out here--we would have liked to see him succeed with Hasselbeck when he was in his prime, but it just didn't work out.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Keep an eye on Golden Tate. With Branch gone the Seahawks will need someone to step up at WR.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk