LCD, LED or Plasma??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

LCD, LED or Plasma???

Moderator: Football Moderators

LCD, LED or Plasma???

Postby bungle613 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:33 pm

On the cheap, 37 to 42 inch probably. What would you buy. I have been told to buy LCD at the highest Hz rate possible. I have no interest in going HD and getting the box etc... Just a decent TV to watch some football on.

Thoughts?

I like the looks of this one to give you an idea....

LG 42" 720p 600Hz Plasma HDTV** (42PJ550)
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: LCD, LED or Plasma???

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:41 am

I'm not enough of a tech head to know, but I really want an LED. I've heard they are the most energy efficient. I personally wouldn't mess with a 720, if you're going to spend the cash, spend a bit more and get 1080....that's what I've been told. I've also been told to steer clear of plasmas. And I hear Samsung's are the best on the market. :-?

So pretty much exactly the opposite of what you have in mind. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:14 pm

LCDs are supposed to last MUCH longer than plasma or LED. They also have better viewing from the sides, and you can hook your computer up to it just like a widescreen monitor ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:49 pm

scottaa1 wrote:LCDs are supposed to last MUCH longer than plasma or LED. They also have better viewing from the sides, and you can hook your computer up to it just like a widescreen monitor ;-D

From my limited research (and I mean limited) I have found that LED's really are just LCD's, they're just LED back lit....what ever the hell that means. As far as life, I have heard that Plasma technology is much improved in the last few years and they can last just as long as LCD's. I don't know about the LED's. I have read that the LED's do in fact use less power than either plasmas or LCD's so that's a plus. :-?

This might be useful, and so might this. ;-D
Metroid

Postby roninmedia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Most LED TV's are edge-lit. This will sacrifice the better picture adjustment for a thinner profile. My parents got a Samsung 46" back-lit LED that capture their attention because of their profile. The thing that will really put you over the top is the additional features that come with it. Their TV isn't one built in with internet applications like some of the other models, but I prefer the supported formats that the built-in media player plays. I can just plug in a USB drive and play many many movie formats.

The TVs already have built in devices that get the HD over the air signal. Just need an antenna.

I would honestly recommend a LG. Samsung has probably some of the best quality on the market, however with such reputation and quality, it comes across as just a tad overpriced. I see 42" 1080p LCD TVs on sale constantly for ~500. LG also has better media player support, i.e. alpha substation subtitles. If you had the money, I would totally spring for a full-LED back-lit LG.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bungle613 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:07 pm

Went against the grain and bought a 42" Samsung Plasma. I stood at the store and looked at the 3-4 choices I was looking at and for the price loved what I saw in this set.

I like buying good tech that is on The LCD market is still a couple years away from what I would call affordable for good quality. Yes, you can buy a 42" 1080 LCD on the cheap but they are running at 60 hz which is poor for sports viewing which is essentially what I do. I am in Canada so they are more expensive to begin with but the cheapest 1080 LCD that interested me was an LG 37" running at 120 hz and it was $900 + enviro tax + regular taxes.

I am very happy with the buy although all 3 sets were really nice.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:33 pm

bungle613 wrote:Went against the grain and bought a 42" Samsung Plasma. I stood at the store and looked at the 3-4 choices I was looking at and for the price loved what I saw in this set.

I like buying good tech that is on The LCD market is still a couple years away from what I would call affordable for good quality. Yes, you can buy a 42" 1080 LCD on the cheap but they are running at 60 hz which is poor for sports viewing which is essentially what I do. I am in Canada so they are more expensive to begin with but the cheapest 1080 LCD that interested me was an LG 37" running at 120 hz and it was $900 + enviro tax + regular taxes.

I am very happy with the buy although all 3 sets were really nice.

Samsung has a great picture. I have a 50 inch Plasma 720 and love it. It has a better picture than my Sony Wega 1080i. Here is the thing with 1080p. Most shows dont even broadcast at 1080p including the nfl which comes over at 720. Some blue ray movies are 1080p and some pay per view but not many regular channels are in 1080p. In a couple of years you might see more 1080 but it that is alot of information to broadcast.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:45 pm

I haven't read the entire thread but the one piece of advice I have for you is to avoid plasma. I think that most manufacturers are backing away from plasmas and in a few years they won't be made anymore particularly the large screen televisions. The energy consumption, environmental impact, heat generation and general fragility are all factors leading manufacturers away from plasma.

LED is definitely the wave of the future. Korean manufacturers are on the leading edge. Look for Samsung and LG. Ignore gimicks (unfortunately I paid extra to get a tv that gets internet , waste of money) and just go for best picture quality (nobody needs anything over 240 Hz) and a good number of HDMI inputs for flexibility.

Just remember to avoid plasma and you'll thank me later.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby woodson_28 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:47 pm

I use to work in electronic department, so here's my 2 cents (though the OP has already purchased a TV).

720p vs 1080i vs 1080p

720p/1080i have/use about a million pixels, while 1080p has twice as many. P stands for progressive, while I stands for interface. Progressive is the better operational system, as it is always "thinking ahead" of what to show next. In all reality, 720p = 1080i, so don't buy a TV thinking that 1080i is the same as 1080p, because it's not. 1080p is recommended, as it's the "higher" technology, but as earlier stated, High-def TV shows are still only 720p (as well as most sports). The main benefit/use for 1080p is for blu-rays. If you don't plan to buy a blu-ray players, then you can probably get away w/ a 720p TV just fine (and save about $100-200)

Plasma vs LCD

A lot of people trash Plasma, but a lot has changed since Plasma's first hit the market. When they first came out, a common problem was "image burn", in which an image would literally be "burned" onto the TV (creating a white ghostly outline). This problem has been all buy diminished w/ new Plasmas. The only way to really get an image burn is to leave your TV on and paused for 3+ days. Plasma's also run hotter than LCD's and last only half as long (30,000 hrs vs 60,000 hrs for LCD), but 30,000 hrs is still over 10 yrs even watching the TV 8 hrs a day.

On the other hand, Plasma's will definitely give you a crisper picture (especially in a dark room). If you have a room with a ton of windows, I'd go LCD, but if not, or you enjoy watching movies at night, I'd recommend a plasma.

60 hz vs 120+ hz

The issue with Hz is that movies are shot on 24 frames per second, whereas 60 hz = 60 frames per second refresh rate. Thus, to fix this problem, when movies are transferred to the TV, they are transferred at a rate of 2 frames, 3 frames, 2 frames, 3 frames, etc... so that. Thus 24 frames, in which 12 frames are shown twice (24 total) and 12 frames are shown 3 times (36 times) for a total of 60 (24 + 36) frames a second. 120 Hz solves this problem by allowing all frames to be shown 5 times.

Anyway, there's more info, I can post later, but that's a start.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Metroid » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:24 pm

Post more....I like to learn. I may be in the market for a new TV soon myself. I have no plans to convert to blue ray, and am not a big gamer. I do watch a ton of movies and lots of sports. Tell me what TV to buy. :-B
Metroid

Next

Return to General Talk