LCD, LED or Plasma??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

LCD, LED or Plasma???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: LCD, LED or Plasma???

Postby dream_017 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:10 am

Metroid wrote:Post more....I like to learn. I may be in the market for a new TV soon myself. I have no plans to convert to blue ray, and am not a big gamer. I do watch a ton of movies and lots of sports. Tell me what TV to buy. :-B

Same here ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:51 pm

I bought a plasma a couple of years ago (panasonic) and have been happy with my purchase so far. One knock on LCDs I've heard is the trailing image behind fast moving objects. For example, a golf ball shot can have a bit of a "shadow" similar to how the glowy puck on those old NHL on FOX broadcasts used to be.

Haven't had any problem with burn-in. Just make sure to run the white bar scan after long viewing sessions. On a budget, you can't beat plasma. Great picture, and excellent black levels. However, if you want the best, and plan on watching a LOT of TV, then the LCD/LED is prob way to go.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby roninmedia » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:57 am

LCD/LED-LCD televisions can also suffer from burn-in after prolonged viewing. Straight from the owner's manual. O:-)

Do not display a still image on the LED panel for more than 2 hours as it can cause screen image retention. This image retention is also known as screen burn. To avoid such image retention, reduce the degree of brightness and contrast of the screen when displaying a still image.

Watching the LED TV in 4:3 format for a long period of time may leave traces of borders displayed on the left, right and center of the screen caused by the difference of light emission on the screen. Playing a DVD or a game console may cause a similar effect to the screen. Damages caused by the above effect are not covered by the Warranty.

Displaying still images from Video games and PC for longer than a certain period of time may produce partial after-images. To prevent this effect, reduce the ‘brightness’ and ‘contrast’ when displaying still images
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:55 pm

My experience is that unless you are an electronics connoisseur or really trying to impress someone who is, you'll almost never notice the picture quality differences of LED/LCD/Plasma. The big thing is the 1080p, because I can notice the difference even if you are simply playing a DVD on a system with an enhancer, which gives it a slightly more Blu-ray quality. Also, although sports are not currently broadcast in 1080p, many movie channels are.

The biggest thing for me is glare. If you have a home theatre-type room, you'll probably really like the deep blacks Plasma gives. LCD never quite stops lighting, so deep blacks always have a little gray "shimmer" to them. However, if you have any natural lighting (windows) at all, I recommend LCD - some Plasmas supposedly have anti-glare screens, but I can still easily see a better picture on LCD. (Plus I suffer from migraines and sunlight in that situation is one of my triggers.) I also heard LCD was better for video gaming, but I've never played a game on a Plasma so I can't verify that.

I can't really talk about LED as far as glare goes since I haven't been in the market for a TV since they became popular/affordable - but I assume they are similar to LCD.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Jimboozie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:05 am

good post dgan. the lighting of the room you're going to put the tv in is a huge consideration. like he said, plasma for a home theater room or one without windows, lcd for a room with a lot of sunlight.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby woodson_28 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:01 pm

For key things to remember when looking at new HDTV's.

Hz: When people talk about motion blur on fast moving objects (golf balls, sport players, NASCAR, etc...) it has to do w/ the Hz. 60Hz is standard with most HDTV sets. Although, they are slowly giving way to 120Hz. Finding an LCD in 120-240 Hz is becoming the norm. Samsung does have a few plasmas out that are at 600 Hz. 120Hz is really sufficient though.

Contrast: Many people don't care, or worry about this, but for simplicity we call it the "numerical" difference between the deepest black and the lightest white. The higher the number, the more "colors" you can get between the two ends (white and black). A 32" low end HDTV (Sylvannia, JVC, etc...) will have a contrast ratio around 5,000:1 to 15,000:1. Anything around 20,000:1 to 50,000:1 is standard and decent. Plasmas tend to have the advantage here too. My 42" 1080p LCD (Sharp) in my bedroom has a 40,000:1 contrast, whereas my 50" 720p Plasma (Samsung) has a contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1. Contrast in the millions is typical for plasma.

Another benefit to Plasma, is that the LCD technology uses a "back-lighting", so when a picture contains the color black, the TV can not "shut off" light to that area, and thus produces the color black using the backlight. This causes the black to to appear lighter and not as deep as you would find on a Plasma.

However, on the other hand LCD's are better in well-light rooms for the very reason stated above. The backlight is beneficial in getting colors across in bright rooms. Also, LCD's can last twice as long, and use about half the energy, and give off less heat.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:00 pm

i have 3 plasmas(thats right...im super awesome). purchesed in this order

(2 1/2 years ago)Lg(42")....worst of the 3. almost boxy when compared to the other two. i dont really know how else to explain it other than its boxy and not a good picture.

2 years ago, panasonic(42")...much better than LG. smooth picture. not as bright colors though as compared to the next one

1 year ago, samsung(50")...best of the 3. clear as it comes. can see the hairs on people's faces. bright vibrant colors. no tracers. clean look

i dont know what the other specs are on them other than they are all 720, as i didnt see the advantage to paying much more for 1080. i just looked at the pictures and bought the one that looked best at the time

down side is i have a light in my kitchen which is directly across teh room from the samsung...and if its on you can see it in the middle of the screen. im not sure if LCD would get rid of this...but its kind of a pain sometimes
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:32 pm

That is an excellent point made above regarding the room the tv is going to be in. My living room has six windows (seven if you count the front door which I sometimes leave open (storm door is there to keep the bugs in)), and my LCD screen is still very visible in all that direct sunlight.

I picked up a 22" LCD last Friday to hook up to my new computer. It's a beauty. WoW at 1080 rocks. ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby fezzik » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:50 pm

scottaa1 wrote:That is an excellent point made above regarding the room the tv is going to be in. My living room has six windows (seven if you count the front door which I sometimes leave open (storm door is there to keep the bugs in)), and my LCD screen is still very visible in all that direct sunlight.

I picked up a 22" LCD last Friday to hook up to my new computer. It's a beauty. WoW at 1080 rocks. ;-D

I just want to echo this sentiment. If you have lights on while you view TV or there is a lot of natural light, I would strongly suggest an LED/LCD. If you typically watch TV in a darkened room, a Plasma might be a better option (generally cheaper and with deeper blacks). I noticed when I went shopping for TV's, the LCD ones with the backlit LED looked by far the best, but I believe that was in large part due to the environment I was viewing them in.
I only dog paddle...
fezzik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bungle613 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:02 am

A couple weeks into the Samsung Plasma and everyone is pretty much right. Plasma is excellent for picture quality but there is glare. I only have 1 window located behind the TV and it is noticeable. IS it noticeable enough to pay pretty close to double the price for a 120 HZ LCD... no. IT really is only noticeable during a movie that is dark, night scenes etc... during Sunday football... don't notice a thing.

My 2 cents... if you don't want to break the bank....

buy plasma now and get the value of great technology that is essentially obsolete already

wait 1-2 years on LCD and buy 120 or 240 HZ when the price starts to drop

wait 2-3 years on LED to see how it pans out.

IF you have plenty of cash and dig TV... buy the most bad ass TV you can swing.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk