Bad luck or do I just suck? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bad luck or do I just suck?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bad luck or do I just suck?

Postby FrostyB » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:29 am

This is my first year playing fantasy football, but I felt that I had a strong draft and would be a contender this year. Is this typically what happens in fantasy football or am I just having a weird start to the season?

Through the first six matches:
game 1: 145-85 WIN (to a team that is currently 5-1 in my league)
game 2: 91-92 LOSS (to a team that is currently 1-5)
game 3: 103-97 WIN (to a team that is currently 4-2)
game 4: 83-85 LOSS (to a team that is currently 1-5)
game 5: 144-60 WIN (to a team that is currently 5-1)
game 6: 63-104 pending loss (will lose to a team that is 1-4 unless C. Johnson has the game of his life today)

So...I've beaten the 3 best teams (2 of which would be undefeated if it wasn't for me) and I've given 2 teams their only win.

I have the highest points scored for the first 5 weeks at 566 (the next highest team has 480 points).

Here is my current team:

QB: Tony Romo
RB: Chris Johnson
RB: Rashard Mendenhall
Flex: Ahmad Bradshaw
WR: Miles Austin
WR: Hakeem Nicks
TE: Antonio Gates
DST: Chargers (@Stl)
K: Mason Crosby
Bench: S. Smith (Car), J. Stewart, Vikings D, T. Owens, P. Hillis, M. Vick, B. Tate

This week I was projected to be a 51 point favorite and am on the verge of losing to a 1 win team.

Antonio Gates netted me 1 point before twisting his ankle. Miles Austin and Hakeem Nicks were the projected to be the #1 and #2 WRs for week 6 from this site: http://www.fantasysharks.com/apps/Proje ... ctions.php

This week Miles Austin netted 1 point and Hakeem Nicks 0 points.

At this point I’m feeling like it’s a coin flip whether I win from week to week regardless of team and player matchups. I may end up having the highest point total and miss the playoffs. Is this a common occurrence in fantasy football or am just one unlucky sob?
FrostyB
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bad luck or do I just suck?

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:29 pm

yes...FFb is a lot of luck and coin flips. your gusy coudl go crazy one week and do nothing the next....it makes you wnat to pull your hair out sometimes

but your team looks good and should make the playoffs

since its your first year illl tell you how it will go...the team that scores the most points in the regular season will lose round 1. happens every year in every league. the final will be a 5 seed v a 6 seed
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dolfan19 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:55 pm

shawngee03 wrote:
since its your first year illl tell you how it will go...the team that scores the most points in the regular season will lose round 1. happens every year in every league. the final will be a 5 seed v a 6 seed

lol, this was me last season with my AP/ Ray Rice RB tandem... :-P

and to the OP... I wouldn't be too worried about your team.
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:52 pm

In my main league (the one I am commish for), I am now at 2-6 because we've had two doubleheaders. I liked my team coming out of the draft, and I still like my team right now. I'm absolutely flabbergasted (yes, I said it - FLABBERGASTED) that I need to almost run the table to get into the playoffs. This is a 10 team PPR league that starts 3 WR plus a Flex:

QB: M. Ryan
RB: R. Mendenhall, J. Charles, J. Best
WR: R. Moss, R. White, H. Nicks
TE: C. Cooley

Bench: M. Bush, J. Stewart, M. Lynch, M. Crabtree, M. Williams

Makes no sense...
Bloody Sox
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 am

Bloody Sox wrote:In my main league (the one I am commish for), I am now at 2-6 because we've had two doubleheaders. I liked my team coming out of the draft, and I still like my team right now. I'm absolutely flabbergasted (yes, I said it - FLABBERGASTED) that I need to almost run the table to get into the playoffs. This is a 10 team PPR league that starts 3 WR plus a Flex:

Makes no sense...

ive started to realize how important a stud QB is. id like to think that if you had a top 5 Qb your team woudl be much much better. i also have ryan on a couple teams...and he just doesnt cut it. next year im getting a top 5 Qb whenever possible. i know thats not the preferred Cafe strategy...but it just makes your team so much better when you can count on 300 yds and 2-3 Tds each week from your QB

plus, moss has been super horrible in PPr...definately not worth the value he was drafted at
mendy isnt super awesome in ppr, and best has had some dud weeks.
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FrostyB » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Phew, at least now I know that this is a normal thing! My team is so inconsistent but somehow I'm still ranked 4th in the league (behind the 3 guys I beat).

shawngee03 wrote:yes...FFb is a lot of luck and coin flips. your gusy coudl go crazy one week and do nothing the next....it makes you wnat to pull your hair out sometimes

but your team looks good and should make the playoffs

I'm fully expecting to lose in the first 2 rounds to the guy that starts Flacco, Brandon Jacobs, and Dwayne Bowe every week. I based my draft choices heavily on who my players play during my fantasy football playoffs. It'll be a learning experience to see if that makes a difference or not.

Dolfan19 wrote:lol, this was me last season with my AP/ Ray Rice RB tandem... :-P

and to the OP... I wouldn't be too worried about your team.

Dang if you lost last year with both AP and Ray Rice last year than I guess anything can happen. Those guys were beasts last year!

Bloody Sox wrote:In my main league (the one I am commish for), I am now at 2-6 because we've had two doubleheaders. I liked my team coming out of the draft, and I still like my team right now. I'm absolutely flabbergasted (yes, I said it - FLABBERGASTED) that I need to almost run the table to get into the playoffs. This is a 10 team PPR league that starts 3 WR plus a Flex:

Makes no sense...

You have a good team. I really want to trade A. Bradshaw for J. Charles but T. Jones keeps getting the majority of the carries. Nick and Moss's production has been like a roller coaster this season. Stewart has been a phenomenal disappointment for me as well. I can see how this team could easily be 6-2 if the fantasy football gods deemed it so.
FrostyB
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:00 pm

shawngee03 wrote:ive started to realize how important a stud QB is. id like to think that if you had a top 5 Qb your team woudl be much much better. i also have ryan on a couple teams...and he just doesnt cut it. next year im getting a top 5 Qb whenever possible. i know thats not the preferred Cafe strategy...but it just makes your team so much better when you can count on 300 yds and 2-3 Tds each week from your QB

plus, moss has been super horrible in PPr...definately not worth the value he was drafted at

I disagree to an extent... a good QB is essential, but for crying out loud, Kyle Orton and Michael Vick have at times been the #1 Fantasy QB this season. Grabbing a pair of high upside guys off the WW in the later rounds can be just as an effective option at QB as burning an early pick on a Brees/Peyton type. You also get the 1st/2nd rounder RB/WR which you will be hard-pressed to find in the later rounds with any consistency.

I grabbed Big Ben (10th) and Eli (8th) in one league, and that's been doing okay for me. Rivers(6th) and Big Ben (10th) combo in another and that's been fantastic.
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Purple1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:31 pm

thejusman1 wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:ive started to realize how important a stud QB is. id like to think that if you had a top 5 Qb your team woudl be much much better. i also have ryan on a couple teams...and he just doesnt cut it. next year im getting a top 5 Qb whenever possible. i know thats not the preferred Cafe strategy...but it just makes your team so much better when you can count on 300 yds and 2-3 Tds each week from your QB

I disagree to an extent... a good QB is essential, but for crying out loud, Kyle Orton and Michael Vick have at times been the #1 Fantasy QB this season. Grabbing a pair of high upside guys off the WW in the later rounds can be just as an effective option at QB as burning an early pick on a Brees/Peyton type. You also get the 1st/2nd rounder RB/WR which you will be hard-pressed to find in the later rounds with any consistency.

I grabbed Big Ben (10th) and Eli (8th) in one league, and that's been doing okay for me. Rivers(6th) and Big Ben (10th) combo in another and that's been fantastic.

This is not always the case though. I waited and went Kolb and Rothlesburger late but its been a rough ride. In my big $ league I have already spent 90$ on the WW (5$ a move). While I am doing well @ 6-1 but its a high risk/reward roll coaster.

Week 1- Kolb 0 pts
Week 2- Hasselback- decent
Week 3- Vick- big game
Week 4 Vick- 0 pts
Week 5- Fitzpatrick- big game
Week 6- Rothlesburger- big game

Last year and most years there are no Orton's, Vicks and Shaun Hills on the WW. Last year I was stuck platooning Carson Palmer/Shaun Hill/Matt Cassel/David Gerrard/Kevin Kolb and Alex Smith and while I made the playoffs it was a rough ride starting out 1-4 then 2-5

I'd much rather have 1 guy to plug in every week, It would save me a lot of $ and headaches.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk