What's in a name? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

What's in a name?

What's in a name?

Postby Cupertino_11 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:17 am

Pulling this from Bazzy in the Rolando McClain thread.....

Playing match-ups seem to be the thing to do this year, rather then sticking with the big names.

.....leads me to ask, how much stock do you put into a name? Of course this applies to offense too, but I thought I'd bring this up in the IDP forum since I'm struggling with it at the moment. The usual surefire stud IDPs have been a big letdown thusfar. Willis, Beason, Dansby, Laurinaitis, Allen, M. Williams, Peppers, etc, etc. In years past I've been able to pick up a Beason or a Willis and ride him all year. Now it seems like they're getting surpassed in production by guys like James Anderson, Desmond Bishop, and Paris Lenon. I recently dropped Bishop (although he was producing well) for Beason (who was dropped on his bye). I'm second guessing that move. Beason has traditionally been my IDP security blanket and I feel better with him. Meanwhile, looking at Bishop's upcoming matchups (MIN, NYJ, ATL, SF) I can't help but feel he'll outproduce Beason.

What do you guys normally do? Roll with the proven name hoping he'll pick up the slack, or hand it over to the young gun?
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What's in a name?

Postby z raptor » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:44 am

Basically, if you have a super-stud, you just play him and don't look back. Also, some defensive schemes give certain positions the opportunity to get plays/fantasy points such as the Chargers ILB's (Cooper, Barnett, & Siler when he starts) or teams that play the Tampa 2 and filter plays to the WLB such as the Bucs & Colts.

That said, I have to agree with that comment about playing matchups this year as I've been doing more of that this year than in the past. Plus (for whatever reason), some teams have been changing up their defensive schemes to adjust to the particular weeks opponent and that has caused some problems (fantasy-wise) as well. Then there is Buffalo that completely is changing their entire scheme (going from a 3-4 to a 4-3) with Posluszny now playing weak-side LB and Andra Davis going to play MLB, so it will be interesting to see the outcome of that (and don't forget the DL's of Kyle Williams & Dwan Edwards who have been very good and consistent this year and with the change could see their #'s increase). [Yea, I know, though not a fan, I'm touting certain Buffalo player's since they get lots of opportunities from being on the field so much.....lol]

Lenon has been a nice pickup and has been stout w/D.Washington in the middle of that Arizona D, but Gerald Hayes may be coming back soon, so this is one to keep an eye on. Z.Diles in Houston is another who has done well (fantasy-wise) when he has started (been playing as a fill-in about half the season so far), but now he will be a full-time starter as WLB w/Ryans IR'd, so he may be another to take a chance on.

AND YES, you messed up dropping Bishop.....get him back if you can! He, along with Hawk & Matthews should be getting monster #'s over the next few weeks (barring injury).

Hope this helps.....good luck!!!
z raptor

z raptor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cupertino_11 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:51 am

Thanks for the reply Z.

Yup, I screwed up on Bishop. I put more value into the name than the production. Beason's move to the outside has really hindered his numbers. I was, however, able to pick up Cushing in his place so I'm hoping to replace a good chunk of Bishop's lost production.

Lesson learned.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GoodOl'Days » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:54 pm

This year has been a little strange, but DJ Williams hasn't disappointed and Ray Lewis and James Harrison are in the mix. Willis has enough tackles to still be top-tier in my leagues. Suh has backed up his billing, glad I drafted him, even if it was a little early.

I banked on Dan Connor being solid with Beason moving to the outside, that didn't work, despite the preseason hype and one sweet game.

I got Peppers, but getting older and going to Chicago somehow I knew he'd be subpar. Again I turned to a Bronco LB with DL eligibility and am getting nice returns with Jason Hunter, had been counting on Dumberville.

Ed Reed is finally back and my opponents slept on him B-)

It seems like a lot more DBs are ranking high in tackles. Donte Whitner has a been a beast and Greg Toler hasn't faded away like I thought he would. I should have banked on Laron Landry beasting with his move back to SS, gah!

You know one Steeler LB will always be atop the ranks, glad I added Timmons for Connor for week 3.
GoodOl'Days
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to IDP