Steve Johnson is good - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steve Johnson is good

Moderator: Football Moderators

Steve Johnson is good

Postby joejlitz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:55 pm

I was surprised there isn't a thread on him already. He had another TD today which gives him 5 TDs in the last 4 games. His excellent production basically coincides with the switch at QB to Fitzpatrick, so I'm expecting more from Johnson in the coming weeks.

He is seriously looking like the best waiver-wire WR after Collie.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Steve Johnson is good

Postby dgan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:17 pm

He reminds me a bit of a young Hines Ward. He's kind of unassuming to watch him play, but he just gets it done every play rather than taking plays off when he's doubled or having random confusion about which route to run. He just seems to find a way to get open and has good hands, particularly in traffic.

It is hard to tell how much of this is the Buffalo offense (they don't use a TE, per se) and how much of it might be a guy who has been around for a couple years now and the switch has flipped on. I'm also not on the Fitzpatty bandwagon yet (Chan has a history making sow's ears look like silk purses), so I'm not getting over-zealous. But yeah, this guy should be owned in nearly every league at this point.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:21 am

I'm not going to question his talent because I haven't seen him play, but his fantasy production has been pretty dependent on TDs. Too much so for me to trust him yet. It's tough to rely on anyone to score TDs consistently let alone a #2 WR in an bad offense with a questionable QB at the helm. The next few weeks don't look great for him as far as matchups go either.

To me he's a good sell high candidate right now.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:57 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:I'm not going to question his talent because I haven't seen him play, but his fantasy production has been pretty dependent on TDs. Too much so for me to trust him yet. It's tough to rely on anyone to score TDs consistently let alone a #2 WR in an bad offense with a questionable QB at the helm. The next few weeks don't look great for him as far as matchups go either.

To me he's a good sell high candidate right now.

I didn't play him last week because the matchup was bad against a top-5 passing defense in BAL. He got 150 yards and a TD.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:16 am

Baltimore hasn't exactly been shutting down WRs over the past few weeks. But like I said I'm not questioning his talent, just his consistency and situation. I wouldn't trust him as anything more than a WR3 with some upside.

If he does well against Chicago I'll be more convinced.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby joejlitz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:30 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Baltimore hasn't exactly been shutting down WRs over the past few weeks. But like I said I'm not questioning his talent, just his consistency and situation. I wouldn't trust him as anything more than a WR3 with some upside.

If he does well against Chicago I'll be more convinced.

4 games in a row isn't enough to convince, but 5 will be? OK! :-B :-D
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Azrael » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Actually he has caught TDs in 5 straight games...so maybe 6 will convince :)
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Deion Branch dominated Baltimore in week 6 and hasn't done anything since. Before that, Brandon Lloyd and Gaffney had their way with them. Chicago's pass defense will be more of a challenge.

Lee Evans is one of the most talented WRs in the league but has been held back by that offense for years. But I guess I'm an idiot for not immediately trusing a #2 WR in the same offense who essentially come out of nowhere and has generated most of his fantasy production from TDs over the past few weeks. Go figure.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby joejlitz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:30 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Deion Branch dominated Baltimore in week 6 and hasn't done anything since. Before that, Brandon Lloyd and Gaffney had their way with them. Chicago's pass defense will be more of a challenge.

Lee Evans is one of the most talented WRs in the league but has been held back by that offense for years. But I guess I'm an idiot for not immediately trusing a #2 WR in the same offense who essentially come out of nowhere and has generated most of his fantasy production from TDs over the past few weeks. Go figure.

Don't put yourself down like that. Noone thinks you are an idiot.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Purple1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:29 pm

He's for real. Average joe players don't score TD's in 5 consecutive games on one of the worst teams in the league at the WR postion.

Yes most weeks have been 5-40-1 stats but It's because thats his job in the offense. Evens runs the deeper stuff while Stevie stays underneath..a poormans Moss/Welker/Brady.

I saw both his TD's in the Jax game, one was a great catch diving out of bounds in the endzone and the other he ran a nice route infront of the defender juked him out and walked into the endzone. The one vs the Ravens he beat the corner and Fitz threw a nice pass and hit him in stride inbetween the corner and the safety burning them both for the TD.

I didn't see his first two or the last one but anotherthing thing to keep in mind is with the exception of the first two weeks this isn't "Garbage Time" production. Hes been scoring when they are still in the game and not only that a lot of his targets have been around the goal line. In the Jax game they ran a play to him and it didn't work then they went right back to him and got the TD. I think teams have realized they go to him in the redzone they just can't stop him.

Hes due for a stinker no doubt but I'm confident he'll keep up similar production going forward. No doubt he finnishes a top 20WR fantasy wise maybe even top 10 IMO.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk