Steve Johnson is good - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steve Johnson is good

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Steve Johnson is good

Postby dgan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:55 pm

Purple1 wrote:..a poormans Moss/Welker/Brady.

Very rough economy, to be sure...

:-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:28 pm

After a guy scores TDs in 3 straight games, Defenses take notice. The fact that he scored twice after that says the guy can play. Fitzpatrick threw something like 48 passes this week. That's a lot of balls available for the Buffalo WRs. Combine the two facts and Johnson looks like a good FLEX or maybe even WR2 player, especially in PPR leagues. At the very least, he's tasty trade bait.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joejlitz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:07 am

Setting myself up for an epic fail this weekend, but:

Buffalo WR Steve Johnson has virtually come out of nowhere this season and after eight weeks has been a borderline No. 1 Fantasy wide receiver in terms of total Fantasy points. Johnson has overtaken Lee Evans as Ryan Fitzpatrick's go-to receiver. Johnson has at least one touchdown catch in five straight games, tied for the most in franchise history. Not coincidentally, the streak began in Week 3, when Fitzpatrick took over the QB job. Johnson has gone for a first down on 22 of his 30 catches this season so he can be called a big-play receiver.

So there's this glass half empty view:
Johnson has been a fixture in the end zone but he's only topped 66 yards receiving once -- Week 7 at Baltimore when he had eight catches or 158 yards. He just barely kept his consecutive games with a TD streak alive last week in Kansas City and should have an even tougher time Week 9 against Chicago. The Bears are in the top five in terms of teams limiting Fantasy points per game to opposing wide receivers. They have given up just three touchdowns to the position this entire season, though two have come in the last two weeks. While it won't come easy, Johnson could certainly keep the TD streak alive. We like him as a No. 2 Fantasy WR for the Week 9 game.

CBSsportsline.com

I'm still starting him over Brandon Marshall and Mike Williams (TB) in a non-PPR league...I think.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby joejlitz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:06 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Baltimore hasn't exactly been shutting down WRs over the past few weeks. But like I said I'm not questioning his talent, just his consistency and situation. I wouldn't trust him as anything more than a WR3 with some upside.

If he does well against Chicago I'll be more convinced.

93 receiving yards and still in the 3rd quarter. Dude is pretty close to a must start.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:48 pm

No TD today. But he got close (was down at the 1-yard line), and he had 11 catches for 145. DOn't think I'm gonna cray about that. But I will cry about the overall Bills performance :~(
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Sorry, not good enough. He'll need 200+ yards and at least 2 TDs against the best passing defense in the league to convince me.

Ok maybe not. I'm glad I grabbed him a few weeks ago in a dynasty league. :-B :-b
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby joejlitz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:53 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Sorry, not good enough. He'll need 200+ yards and at least 2 TDs against the best passing defense in the league to convince me.

Ok maybe not. I'm glad I grabbed him a few weeks ago in a dynasty league. :-B :-b

LOL. Nice. ;-D
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Flyn high again » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Might have to take him off the bench. He's outperforming Andre Johnson. Sit Johnson for Johnson? Not an easy call.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Azrael » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Yeah boy.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Azrael wrote:Yeah boy.

Decent game. But 3 Cincinnati DBs were hurt during the game. Also, if you look closely at the tape you can see what looks to be some stick 'em on his gloves. I'd like to see him play a legitimate game before I'm ready to call him a good weekly play.

Also he only scored 34 points in my scoring format. :-t This wasn't enough for me to get the win considering the off day Gore gave me.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk