Hines Ward = 1st ballot HOF? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hines Ward = 1st ballot HOF?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Hines Ward = 1st ballot HOF?

Postby Munboy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:57 am

Maybe it's a little homer-ish of me, but it boggles my mind that when people are discussing the greatest receivers of all time, Ward isn't mentioned in this. Since being inserted in the starting lineup (his 2nd or 3rd season), all he's done is produce. Watching him play last night and make that great grab for a TD (even though it shouldn't have been) made me wonder why more people don't talk about him.

First off, he leads the Steelers (All-time) in every major receiver category...Yes, more than Swann or Stallworth. Barring an injury, by the end of the year, he should....

Pass Keenan McCardell, Rod Smith, Muhsin Muhammad, Derrick Mason, Don Maynard, Michael Irvin, Charlie Joiner, Tony Gonzalez, and Jimmy Smith on the all time receiving yards list, moving to #15.

Pass Art Monk, Andre Reed, and Isaac Bruce on the receptions list. He'll fight Randy Moss for # 7 or 8 on the all time list. (Yes, Ward is up there with Moss in the number or receptions. The guy that many put up with there in the all time greats.)

Pass Andre Rison, Tommy McDonald, Irving Fryer, Mark Clayton, Lance Alworth, Tony Gonzalez, Paul Warfield, Andre Reed, Don Maynard, and Isaac Bruce for 9th all time in TDs.

On top of the stats, he's the best blocking receiver in the history of the NFL. He has 2 SB rings, including a SB MVP. Most of his career was spent in a run first offense. He was a 3rd round pick without a position. He didn't become a starter for a few years (Randy Moss was a starter from year one and Ward has just as many catches). He doesn't have the blazing speed, but he's quick and gets away from defenders. He has great hands. He's not afraid to go across the middle and he'll run any route in the playbook. And lastly, he gets up and smiles, even after being leveled by a defender.

I don't understand why he's not brought up among the all-time great WRs. If he plays another 2 years after this year (he'll be 35) and puts up a couple more 100 catch - 1000 yard seasons, he'll end up around 5th or 6th receiving yards all-time, 2nd in receptions (yes SECOND, depending on what Moss and TO do), and 6ish in receiving TDs. The dude has quietly put together a great career and is obviously one of the best to play the position!
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Hines Ward = 1st ballot HOF?

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:09 am

He doesn't attract a lot of attention because (1) he doesn't complain and (2) he doesn't have a lot of flash. I've probably seen more highlights of him crushing someone on a great block than of him making an acrobatic catch.

He'll definitely get into the HOF. Whether it's on the 1st ballot or not depends on how the rest of his career plays out.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sex Panther » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:20 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:He doesn't attract a lot of attention because (1) he doesn't complain and (2) he doesn't have a lot of flash. I've probably seen more highlights of him crushing someone on a great block than of him making an acrobatic catch.

He'll definitely get into the HOF. Whether it's on the 1st ballot or not depends on how the rest of his career plays out.

I love Ward the player, he's the complete package at WR, but I don't think he's 1st ballot material - his career has overlapped the 3 greatest statisical WR's in NFL history - Rice (granted near the end), Moss, and Owens & has never been considered the "best WR" in the NFL - the position has been relatively stacked throughout Ward's stint in the NFL - aforementioned 3, A. Johnson, Fitzgerald, Harrison, Wayne, etc. & so on - no slam against Ward, and I do think he belongs in the hall, I just don't think it happens on the 1st ballot.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:29 pm

I, too, doubt Ward makes it on the first ballot. He's a quality receiver but is not close to being as well known as guys like T.O., Jerry Rice, Montana, etc.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SetYourselfFree » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:54 pm

I'll be disappointed if he makes the HOF. Admittedly, I'm a little biased because I hate the Steelers with a passion but I don't believe Ward deserves to make it regardless. He's been an important part of the Steelers offense for most of his career but he's simply not one of the greats. He's never been an elite performer at the position (except possibly for the 02-03 season), he had an underwhelming start to his career and has simply stuck around for a long time rather than retire which has boosted his career counting stats. When I look at his stats, consider all of those things and compare him to the greats, he just doesn't pass the test.
SetYourselfFree
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:31 pm

He probably deserves to get in the HOF. However, when you look at Ward's overall career receiving stats, you have to discount them when comparing this era to previous eras because passing has become so much more prevalent, just in the past 5 years. Hines has always been a good receiver, but never had that peak where he was one of the greats at that position. Therefore, he's not a 1st ballot HOF, but I'd probably put him in, especially since he's such a great blocker as a WR.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:03 pm

The short answer is "no".

The long answer is "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo".

There certainly is something that could be said about his longevity in the league, but that's really the only reason why he's in the ballpark with all of those other WR greats you just mentioned (many of whom are also not in the HOF). You're comparing different eras and assuming this should mean he gets in, where you should judge him by his contemporary peers.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Hines Ward and his role with the Steelers. He's been absolutely instrumental and should certainly be remembered by generations of Steeler fans. One of the best WRs in NFL history? I'm not sure. At least not enough for a first ballot and I'm not even sure he's on the ballot the first year of his eligibility.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Munboy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:39 am

I.......don't understand you guys' thinking. He's been in the league the same amount of time as Randy Moss (13 years). He came into the league as the jack of all trades, master of none. He took a couple years to learn the WR position. Moss came into the league as "The Freak"....And yet, he has comparable numbers to Moss. TO's been in the league 2 years longer and Ward has comparable numbers. Plus, he did what these two don't do for his entire career... Block. I understand the thinking that he might not be a first ballot, but not at all? That I don't understand. In the end of his career, he'll be AT LEAST in the top 10 of the three major statistical categories. He could end up in the top 5 if he remains productive the next 2 years. Doesn't belong in the HOF? Seriously?

But I digress....
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby R00k » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:25 am

He'll make it into the HOF.
It will not be on the first ballet however I do not think.

I have another question though.

Will Moss's "shanagins" effect his ability to get in on the first ballet?
R00k
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby petedog9 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:11 am

biju wrote:The short answer is "no".

The long answer is "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo".

There certainly is something that could be said about his longevity in the league, but that's really the only reason why he's in the ballpark with all of those other WR greats you just mentioned (many of whom are also not in the HOF). You're comparing different eras and assuming this should mean he gets in, where you should judge him by his contemporary peers.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Hines Ward and his role with the Steelers. He's been absolutely instrumental and should certainly be remembered by generations of Steeler fans. One of the best WRs in NFL history? I'm not sure. At least not enough for a first ballot and I'm not even sure he's on the ballot the first year of his eligibility.

No offense biju but when this thread started, I said to myself that you would post up in here with a right about what you posted. Your next positive post about anything Steelers will be your first. Your still quite bitter about losing the Superbowl to the Steelers and blaming the refs. I have never seen a post from you with regards to the Steelers that wasnt negative.

just sayin...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk