Hines Ward = 1st ballot HOF? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hines Ward = 1st ballot HOF?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Hines Ward = 1st ballot HOF?

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:33 pm

joejlitz wrote:
moochman wrote:The HOF should be reserved for the game changers. Hines just doesn't cut the mustard.

If LeBron sucks because he can't perform in the 4th quarter of these NBA Finals, than Ward is the man for winning a Super Bowl MVP. There's a long discussion there so everyone understands that I don't necessarily believe either stance absolutely - but there's truth in it.

Great comparison. We have an elite talent, so much better than most who have ever played his position, but he is soft and a choker. Contrast that with a team guy who is a model of consistancy, who didn't shrink from the pressure of the biggest games, yet will never be mistaken as one of the greater WRs of his time. Queen James is a HOFer, barring injury. He is that much better than his peers. Without question and regardless of championships. Ward has rings ~n~ things, but is not one who you look to as an elite WR during his career. Making plays is one thing, but a game changer is someone who redefines his position. If blocking does if for you, send Ward to the hall. For me, I like my HOFers to be truly special talents.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:08 pm

If they let Art Monk in just because he played until he was age 65, then it's hard to argue against any WR getting in.

In 16 seasons Monk had 940 rec for 12, 721 yds an 68 TD's. He went to 3 Pro Bowls.

In 13 seasons Ward has 954 rec for 11, 702 yds and 83 TD's. He's gone to 4 Pro Bowls and was Super Bowl MVP.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby bungle613 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:52 am

stomperrob wrote:If they let Art Monk in just because he played until he was age 65, then it's hard to argue against any WR getting in.

In 16 seasons Monk had 940 rec for 12, 721 yds an 68 TD's. He went to 3 Pro Bowls.

In 13 seasons Ward has 954 rec for 11, 702 yds and 83 TD's. He's gone to 4 Pro Bowls and was Super Bowl MVP.

Ward will get in, just not on the first ballot. Monk waited 7 years to get in, several others who have had better stats then Ward have waited or are waiting to get in (EG: Tim Brown, Chris Carter) Unless things change dramatically in the next 2-3 years for Ward then he too will be waiting quite some time to get his nod into the hall.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:22 am

bungle613 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:If they let Art Monk in just because he played until he was age 65, then it's hard to argue against any WR getting in.

Ward will get in, just not on the first ballot. Monk waited 7 years to get in, several others who have had better stats then Ward have waited or are waiting to get in (EG: Tim Brown, Chris Carter) Unless things change dramatically in the next 2-3 years for Ward then he too will be waiting quite some time to get his nod into the hall.

Agreed. And of course even if someone happens to be nominated, a lot depends on who else is on the ballot that year and no one can predict that.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby bungle613 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:28 am

stomperrob wrote:
bungle613 wrote:

Agreed. And of course even if someone happens to be nominated, a lot depends on who else is on the ballot that year and no one can predict that.

I like Ward and hope it doesn't come down to a 7 year wait and a campaign to get him elected. Show the guy some respect and put him in the first 3-4 years that he is eligible but I will be stunned if he goes in on the first ballot.

I have no issues with great players who are workhorses getting the nod, the deserve to be there. What should differentiate a truly elite talent from the workhorse is when you go in.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Football Talk