Need a new drafting strategy for next year! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Need a new drafting strategy for next year!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need a new drafting strategy for next year!

Postby David592207 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:17 pm

Well, despite this being my first year playing fantasy football, I did my research and thought I had drafted a pretty solid team based on pre-season rankings. That hasn't turned out to be the case, however. I understood that RB's are the big commodity so I loaded up on them. But aside from Peterson and Johnson, the other top 5 backs seem to have been overshadowed by emerging talents like Foster, Mendenhall, and Hillis. In addition, I should have realized that my league was unusual in that we only start 1 RB and don't have a flex.

Regarding QB's, I felt good about getting Schaub (ranked at #5 right after Brady and ahead of Rivers, Romo, Ryan, Big Ben). Then I was able to pick up Flacco as a free agent (#8 preseason rank). Again, if you didn't get Peyton, Rodgers, or Rivers, there's a huge drop off after that.

WR's: I was able to get R. Moss(#2 rank), C. Johnson(#7 rank) and Jennings(#11 rank). Moss was ranked ahead of Wayne, White, D. Jackson,etc. What a disaster!!!

TE: The word was that the tight end pool was very "deep" ths year, so if you couldn't get Clark or Gates...no big deal. Well I got Z. Miller (#3 rank) and his production has been just so-so.

D/ST: I understood that I shouldn't draft a defense till the second to last round, because it was a waste of a higher pick. I picked Denver which was the best available and ranked near the middle and the Raiders hung 50something on them this year. Jeeez! I was able to pick up Miami as an alternate who looked promising early on, but has faded.

K: Not supposed to draft them till the last round. I drafted Bryant and wasted several acquisitions dumping 1 kicker, after under-performing and picking up another that looked good, only to find that my original pick ended up being better.

Finally, I've been favored in every one of my games except 1 (which I ended up winning) and am completely struggling with a 3-6 record!!! I've been beatn by teams with multiple missing players due to byes, other teams defenses scoring 20 plus points and on and on...Any advice or is this just the luck of fantasy football? Thanks in advance!

H2H Non-PPR 1RB/2WR No Flex 12 Team League

QB(1)- Schaub, Flacco
RB(1)- Rice, S. Jackson, Forte, Jones-Drew
WR(2)-R. Moss, C. Johnson, Jennings
TE(1)- Z. Miller, Watson
D/ST(1)- Broncos, Dolphins
K(1)- Reed
David592207
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need a new drafting strategy for next year!

Postby spodog » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:54 pm

David592207 wrote: I should have realized that my league was unusual in that we only start 1 RB and don't have a flex.

Rather than focus on your strategy, sounds like you should either find a new league or pressure your commish to fix that issue.

League's that only start 1 RB totally change the dynamics of why RB's are king in most league's.

Although I've never played (nor even seen) a 1RB league, I'd have to believe it elevates the QB position well above the RB position in terms of importance. With only 1 starter per team in a typical 12 team league, your league is rolling out 12 RB's each week out of a population of about 36 to 40 RB's in the NFL on any given week that are getting 10+ touches. This means that the RB position in your league at draft time looks much like the QB position in most leagues, where quality guys are available well into the mid rounds of the draft, and maybe even further.

The 1RB format sounds like a dud to me.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Beginner's Forum