Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:20 am

Anybody even surprised or what?
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Newton situation

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:40 am

Not particularly. Just hope that if something is really up that they can strip him and/or Auburn of all awards before it's too late...overly pessimistic and no "innocent until proven guilty" from me, I know, but just sayin'...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:49 am

Not surprised at all, this is the SEC we're talking about here. In the SEC, to quote Slick Rick, "This type of sh@t happens everyday." :-B

Seriously though, I really am not surprised at all. He's the one in the spotlight so everything he's ever done from buying s stolen computer to cheating on his 3rd grade spelling test is going to be put under the microscope. If he totally bombs next week, and somehow LaMike passes him in the Heisman race, everyone will be examining every low point in his life too. This is just how our media works. We will put a guy on a golden throne and then do everything we can to knock him off it.

All that said, if he did anything illegal I'd like to know about it and to what severity.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:48 am

:-b

(Kind of applies to ORS's thread below also)

AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:15 am

I remember watching an early Auburn game this year where they had some piece on Newton and I felt good about him. He screwed up big-time at Florida, paid his dues at JUCO and got a shot at major college football once again. It was a nice story... and then it derailed all over the place.

I don't have a lot of problems with the grades stuff and the computer stuff at Florida. Everyone who makes decisions on players knew about this, he paid his dues, and it's water under the bridge. It just wasn't public - until now.

I'm as interested in why Florida is disclosing this info now, or why they're allowing it to be disclosed now, as I am in whether Newton was paid to play at Auburn. What's their motivation? I don't see a lot of positive motivation, to be honest. Seems odd that they would be disclosing this info at this time, considering the fact that they've had it in their hip pocket for years.

I doubt this investigation comes to any conclusion before bowls are played. Auburn could conceivably have the Heisman Trophy winner and a National Championship stripped next spring.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:34 am

Things are pointing to this being true, and I think the allegations in general really hurt his chances at the Heisman. In the wake of the Reggie Bush situation, I think the voters won't want to take a chance on anyone that might be even a little bit controversial. I think LaMike's chances go way up.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:13 am

If laMike jumps in front, you know his incident with that crazy ex girlfriend will jump back into the headlines. You can bank on that.
Metroid

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:48 am

Metroid wrote:If laMike jumps in front, you know his incident with that crazy ex girlfriend will jump back into the headlines. You can bank on that.

You don't think it should? We can go down that road again, but you can't act like James doesn't deserve some responsibility for that situation.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Metroid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Metroid wrote:If laMike jumps in front, you know his incident with that crazy ex girlfriend will jump back into the headlines. You can bank on that.

You don't think it should? We can go down that road again, but you can't act like James doesn't deserve some responsibility for that situation.

Did I say that it shouldn't? And I didn't say, and have NEVER said, that James doesn't deserve some responsibility for the situation. :-S

I was simply pointing out that like Cam, LaMike would have a past indiscretion that would be thrust into the spotlight as well.
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:20 pm

Metroid wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

Did I say that it shouldn't? And I didn't say, and have NEVER said, that James doesn't deserve some responsibility for the situation. :-S

I was simply pointing out that like Cam, LaMike would have a past indiscretion that would be thrust into the spotlight as well.

That's true, although it's bad in a different way than Newton's. LaMike's scandal potentially defames his personality, but the major problem with Newton is that his scandal could declare him ineligible, which is effectively what happened to Reggie Bush. IMO, the committee would be more averse to giving the trophy to someone that might have it taken away than to someone who is not seen as a perfect citizen.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to College Football