Newton situation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

Newton situation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Newton situation

Postby Metroid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:36 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
You don't think it should? We can go down that road again, but you can't act like James doesn't deserve some responsibility for that situation.

Did I say that it shouldn't? And I didn't say, and have NEVER said, that James doesn't deserve some responsibility for the situation. :-S

I was simply pointing out that like Cam, LaMike would have a past indiscretion that would be thrust into the spotlight as well.


That's true, although it's bad in a different way than Newton's. LaMike's scandal potentially defames his personality, but the major problem with Newton is that his scandal could declare him ineligible, which is effectively what happened to Reggie Bush. IMO, the committee would be more averse to giving the trophy to someone that might have it taken away than to someone who is not seen as a perfect citizen.

Totally. And I'm not going to go into defending LaMike, I've done that enough already, but the incident he was involved in was blown so out of proportion it's not even funny. All people are going to remember are the early reports that basically said LaMike strangled a girl. That's so far from what truly happened it's maddening. James let himself get caught up in a situation he shouldn't have, and made a poor decision in the heat of the moment. I don't know James personally but that is not a fair representation of his character or personality. Obviously I'm biased, but every interview I've seen with him he seems like a well spoken, intelligent individual. He doesn't have a track record, and it was an isolated incident. He paid for his involvement in the situation already.

I said I wasn't going to defend him anymore didn't I? :-B
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Newton situation

Postby Sandrock » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 pm

The James situation was blown way out of proportion by the media, Oregon fans and anti-Oregon fans. However, he had been arrested before that incident and charged with Battery, so it wasn't a completely new thing for him. Hopefully he's learned his lessons.
Image
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1422
Joined: 1 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Reser Stadium; lamenting the D-Line for 2011

Re: Newton situation

Postby Metroid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:26 am

Sandrock wrote:The James situation was blown way out of proportion by the media, Oregon fans and anti-Oregon fans. However, he had been arrested before that incident and charged with Battery, so it wasn't a completely new thing for him. Hopefully he's learned his lessons.

Seriously? You mean the high school fight he was involved in with his team mates and players from a rival team? That is hardly relevant. I've been in high school fights, I'm sure you've been in high school fights, who the hell hasn't? Yeah he was arrested but all charges were dropped because it was a stupid childish brawl between a bunch of young rowdy teenagers.

By just saying "he had been arrested before that incident and charged with battery, so it wasn't a completely new thing for him", you make it sound as though he has a track record of going out an beating people up, more than that an outside observer could link that incident and the incident with his ex girlfriend and see them as one in the same. They are not.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Newton situation

Postby Metroid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:33 am

If Cam wins the award and it's found that he was in fact paid to play football, that's lame. If he doesn't win the award and it's found out he did nothing wrong, that's even more lame. I really hope this is not just a smear campaign against Cam.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Newton situation

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:50 am

Metroid wrote:If Cam wins the award and it's found that he was in fact paid to play football, that's lame. If he doesn't win the award and it's found out he did nothing wrong, that's even more lame. I really hope this is not just a smear campaign against Cam.


Meh. Too many people are coming out of the woodwork now. There's no way something wasn't going on. What do these people have to gain in smearing his name, especially from Mississippi State of all schools? The only conspiracy theory I can come up with is Newton to Florida, Newton leaves Florida, spurns Mississippi State, goes to Auburn, Meyer------Mullen both spurned. Too far out though. It's not as if Florida is hurting recruiting wise......they're just like every other school that has a difficult time winning with a young inexperienced QB.
Image
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 267
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lions

Re: Newton situation

Postby Metroid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:27 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Metroid wrote:If Cam wins the award and it's found that he was in fact paid to play football, that's lame. If he doesn't win the award and it's found out he did nothing wrong, that's even more lame. I really hope this is not just a smear campaign against Cam.


Meh. Too many people are coming out of the woodwork now. There's no way something wasn't going on. What do these people have to gain in smearing his name, especially from Mississippi State of all schools? The only conspiracy theory I can come up with is Newton to Florida, Newton leaves Florida, spurns Mississippi State, goes to Auburn, Meyer------Mullen both spurned. Too far out though. It's not as if Florida is hurting recruiting wise......they're just like every other school that has a difficult time winning with a young inexperienced QB.

Yeah I agree, there is way too much smoke for there not to be a little fire somewhere. I just got finished reading a couple articles online. With the FBI now involved, I find it hard to believe that if a person was making stuff up simply out of spite, or to smear a guy, they would continue doing so.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Newton situation

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 am

Metroid wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
Metroid wrote:If Cam wins the award and it's found that he was in fact paid to play football, that's lame. If he doesn't win the award and it's found out he did nothing wrong, that's even more lame. I really hope this is not just a smear campaign against Cam.


Meh. Too many people are coming out of the woodwork now. There's no way something wasn't going on. What do these people have to gain in smearing his name, especially from Mississippi State of all schools? The only conspiracy theory I can come up with is Newton to Florida, Newton leaves Florida, spurns Mississippi State, goes to Auburn, Meyer------Mullen both spurned. Too far out though. It's not as if Florida is hurting recruiting wise......they're just like every other school that has a difficult time winning with a young inexperienced QB.

Yeah I agree, there is way too much smoke for there not to be a little fire somewhere. I just got finished reading a couple articles online. With the FBI now involved, I find it hard to believe that if a person was making stuff up simply out of spite, or to smear a guy, they would continue doing so.


Oh the humanity when they find out the money was laundered through his father's church too. :-b
Image
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 267
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lions

Re: Newton situation

Postby Metroid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:42 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Metroid wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
Meh. Too many people are coming out of the woodwork now. There's no way something wasn't going on. What do these people have to gain in smearing his name, especially from Mississippi State of all schools? The only conspiracy theory I can come up with is Newton to Florida, Newton leaves Florida, spurns Mississippi State, goes to Auburn, Meyer------Mullen both spurned. Too far out though. It's not as if Florida is hurting recruiting wise......they're just like every other school that has a difficult time winning with a young inexperienced QB.

Yeah I agree, there is way too much smoke for there not to be a little fire somewhere. I just got finished reading a couple articles online. With the FBI now involved, I find it hard to believe that if a person was making stuff up simply out of spite, or to smear a guy, they would continue doing so.


Oh the humanity when they find out the money was laundered through his father's church too. :-b

Sheesh, I didn't even think of that. :-D :-b
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Newton situation

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:43 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Metroid wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
Meh. Too many people are coming out of the woodwork now. There's no way something wasn't going on. What do these people have to gain in smearing his name, especially from Mississippi State of all schools? The only conspiracy theory I can come up with is Newton to Florida, Newton leaves Florida, spurns Mississippi State, goes to Auburn, Meyer------Mullen both spurned. Too far out though. It's not as if Florida is hurting recruiting wise......they're just like every other school that has a difficult time winning with a young inexperienced QB.

Yeah I agree, there is way too much smoke for there not to be a little fire somewhere. I just got finished reading a couple articles online. With the FBI now involved, I find it hard to believe that if a person was making stuff up simply out of spite, or to smear a guy, they would continue doing so.


Oh the humanity when they find out the money was laundered through his father's church too. :-b


Oh, just wait for it! :-b
Image
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8164
Joined: 29 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New to the "block"

Re: Newton situation

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:59 am

There's so much potential for disaster here. MSU claims they contacted the SEC about this in January. What if those claims are true? Does the NCAA punish the entire conference or what?
Image
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 267
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lions

PreviousNext

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 14:29 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact