A Fantasy Oddity - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A Fantasy Oddity

Moderator: Football Moderators

A Fantasy Oddity

Postby joejlitz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Anyone else notice that...

It is absolutely impossible to win when all of your players start at 1:00. For whatever reason, it just isn't doable. Not only that, but it will affect how I set my lineup sometimes. I also like to have the last player play - either on Sunday night or Monday night. Kind of like batting in the bottom of the 9th.

Weird, but I guarentee you there are more of you out there who think that way!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: A Fantasy Oddity

Postby Payne Dailey » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm

I've been like that for years. The only problem is when you have an injury problem and the waivers close on the early games. Been burned by that a couple of times.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:33 pm

I like to have as many guys in as possible for any given time slot. It feels like I run up more points that way instead of having a few guys in at 1, a few at 4, a couple on Sunday night and a couple on Monday night. and Thursday night, now.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby deven8703 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:22 pm

I tried to google this and found nothing. Google seems to suck lately.

I too, do not like to start all of my guys in 1 oclock games. It just doesn't seem to work.

I wanted to find out if there is a scoring disparity between the different time slots, but I can't seem to find any stats on it anywhere. Is it a big conspiracy to hide these stats?

If you just look at this week, you'll see that the 4 o'clock games and night games have a much higher average score.

I'm not going to go through and try to figure this out for the past few years, but if anyone can find stats on this, it would be cool.
deven8703
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Sex Panther » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:59 pm

I hate starting all my guys at once, I try and spread it out as much as possible, nothing worse than having all your guys done by 3:00 and watching your lead dissapear...

However, a bigger oddity is this...

I'm the proud owner of Arian Foster in 2 leagues this year.

In 1 of the leagues I own him in, I'm 0-4 when he goes off for 25+.

Barring a miracle - DJax & James Davis outscoring my Akers by more than 50 tonight - I'm 5-1 when Foster is held to less than 25...

5-5 w/ 2nd highest point toal after this week...
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby dgan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:58 pm

My first thought is to throw this in with the Madden curse and black cats. Superstitious crazies. :-b

However, if you think about the primetime games, they typically want great football. Unless that is Pittsburgh/Baltimore, you are probably going to see good offensive play in most those games. Meaning if NONE of your players are even starting a 3pm game, either you have no west coast players or you just don't have players in games expected to score a ton of points.

I still think it's nonsense, but that's the only logical argument I could think of for this theory.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby FatFoot » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:31 am

It should have no bearing on anything, other than that, as stated, there will almost always be a few studs in the later national games. So maybe it's a false sense of "I had a good week" rather than "impossible to win." I other words, more to do with the construction of your team than the time it plays.

I hate having all of my starters in at noon, because I hate watching my opponent's score catch up gradually when my score will remain static.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:34 am

As mentioned above, watching your lead disappear is a bad feeling. Having late players gives hope (look at Michael Vick tonight).

I have gone so far as to play slightly lesser players in late games so I don't have all early players.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joejlitz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:45 am

Flyn high again wrote:As mentioned above, watching your lead disappear is a bad feeling. Having late players gives hope (look at Michael Vick tonight).

I have gone so far as to play slightly lesser players in late games so I don't have all early players.

That's the kind of superstition I'm talking about. I dont know about better stats coming out of later games. For me, it's simply wanting a cleanup hitter on Sunday or Monday night to either bring us back, or put the icing on a victory.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Return to Football Talk