Anyone ever pickup players to prevent others from doing so? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone ever pickup players to prevent others from doing so?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Anyone ever pickup players to prevent others from doing so?

Postby joejlitz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:12 am

Maris09 wrote:No one's answered the question of what if you don't drop the same player? It can't be churning if you don't drop the same guy.

If you don't drop the same guy, then you are dropping a guy who has been rostered on your team for at least a week and that is not churning, or despicable.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:42 am

i keep trying to leave...but you all keep pulling me back in. why cant i quit you???

ill go back to the intent argument..which of course is not in any way justifiable...thus completely a moral issue

if you know you are going to drop someone...then drop them when you pick up your kicker. dont be a douche and wait until sun morning so he goes on waivers.. and again this is if you know who you are going to drop

if you arent sure who you are going to drop...you need to wait and see...then sure. no big deal. wait as long as you want. now if you know who you are going to drop on fri..and wait until sun morning...then i dont like that. kinda of bush in my book

to the question of if its a different player. to me that has nothing to do with it. it could be the same player, a different player...whatever. if you are keeping a guy just to drop him on sun thus making him unavailable bc he is on waivers to me is an abuse of the rules and bush league

to help explain...if the league doesnt have waivers...then that player is available as soon as you drop him, so waiting until sun morning wouldnt accomplish your tactic. if the league does have waivers...then he is unavailable. so holding him until sun morning to put him on waivers is an abuse of the waiver system that was put in to help people who dont check the site every 10 mins have the ability to pick up dropped palyers. you are now abusing that setting to keep a player away from everybody else. and that abuse of power is called churning

if the league wanted dropped players to not be available that week...that setting can be made
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:47 am

and to respond to your league not caring about it...i probably also would post that i really dont care. yes...be prepared and it shouldnt be an issue. and yes..its just one player...no biggie

my issue is that i wouldnt do it. i personally think its bushleague...so i wont do it. do i really care if anybody else does..not really

yes it is churning, yes it is bushleague, no i do not do it, no i dont really care if others do it

argueing if something is right or wrong and argueing if you really care are two seperate things imo

littering is wrong. do i really care...no

but what if you throw away a different piece of trash than the one you just created...like a candy wrapper that has been in your car for a week...is that bad? :-b
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:47 am

Wondered how you churned in football but now I know.... and I think the way to fix it is to do what some other sites do and not "Lock" or put picked up and then dropped players in waivers.

Those of us in Shark leagues are headed into the playoffs and I wanted to pickup via waivers Bradford as my backup QB. But, another team with a higher waiver priority picked him up while dropping a kicker, and then the next day, dropped Bradford for a kicker.... thereby making him unavailable to the rest of the league for the rest of this year.

So, in this case, churning is scummily unsportsmanlike, but legal. Next year, gotta do some ploy to deny internet service to those teams who might do such a thing.... jk. :-D

Almost all seems to be fair in love, war and fantasy football.... ;-)
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:59 am

but what if you throw away a different piece of trash than the one you just created...like a candy wrapper that has been in your car for a week...is that bad?

Last time I saw crap fly out of the back of a pickup truck, I stopped and picked up the trash and then followed the guy to his jobs parking lot. I took the trash to him and said it was his as I saw it fly out of the back of his truck, and knew he would want it back so he could dispose of it properly. He took the trash, and tossed it on the ground.

So, I went home and got my smelly garbage, closed the tie on the bag, and disposed of it in the back of his truck... with a note on his windshield saying that I was happy to dispose of his garbage and knew he wouldn'y mind returning the favor. I can only hope that the leaking turkey gut juice in the bed of his truck reminded him to not litter in the future? ;-) ;-D
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Maris09 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:18 am

joejlitz wrote:
Maris09 wrote:No one's answered the question of what if you don't drop the same player? It can't be churning if you don't drop the same guy.

If you don't drop the same guy, then you are dropping a guy who has been rostered on your team for at least a week and that is not churning, or despicable.

See I agree with you, but some in this thread still believe that it's not right because you are not making a player available to another team (at least until the next week).

shawngee03 wrote:i keep trying to leave...but you all keep pulling me back in. why cant i quit you???

Hahaha

FantasySportsMaven wrote:So, I went home and got my smelly garbage, closed the tie on the bag, and disposed of it in the back of his truck... with a note on his windshield saying that I was happy to dispose of his garbage and knew he wouldn'y mind returning the favor. I can only hope that the leaking turkey gut juice in the bed of his truck reminded him to not litter in the future? ;-) ;-D

You do realize dude just threw that bag on the ground too right? :-)

To be honest if anyone in my leagues had posted an objection I wouldn't consider doing it again. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see anything wrong with it or have a problem with someone else doing it.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Picking up a player to specifically to prevent another team from having that player is GOOD STRATEGY.
Picking up a player and then dropping him to waivers so that no one can have him that week is CHURNING.
Most leagues that attempt to prevent churning do so by either having a specific policy against it, or a vigilant commish, or by making it so that players you pick up mid week, and drop before game time go directly to FA, instead of WW. Often teams will circumvent this by picking up a player and then drop him in the last minute possible so that other teams do not have a chance to get him. This is still churning.

It's pretty simple, IMO.
If you're willing to eat a roster spot over a weekend to prevent someone from having a player, you're paying the price for that player and it's cool.
If you are just waiting until the last minute to grab a kicker or defense etc, and are holding a player artificially, during the week, you're churning, and we would beat you to death with a sock full of quarters, in any of my leagues. Seriously.

Defining churning specifically as I do, IMO it's unsportsmanlike. It's not strategy... it's turdliness. Something you do to help you feel better about not being good enough to beat your opponent fairly.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Maris09 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:32 pm

FatFoot wrote:Picking up a player and then dropping him to waivers so that no one can have him that week is CHURNING.

What if you drop a different player, but wait until Sunday to do it.
Can't be churning if it's not the same dude.

FatFoot wrote:It's pretty simple, IMO.
If you're willing to eat a roster spot over a weekend to prevent someone from having a player, you're paying the price for that player and it's cool.
If you are just waiting until the last minute to grab a kicker or defense etc, and are holding a player artificially, during the week, you're churning

Kickers aren't players?
Poor kickers, they get no respect I tell ya...no respect....
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby FatFoot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:42 pm

Maris09 wrote:
FatFoot wrote:Picking up a player and then dropping him to waivers so that no one can have him that week is CHURNING.

What if you drop a different player, but wait until Sunday to do it.
Can't be churning if it's not the same dude.

You should be able to figure out what my opinion is on that without asking... I was pretty specific, for a reason.

If you pick someone up, and you intend to keep him on your roster over a weekend, you aren't churning... you're paying for that player, at the cost of a roster spot. Let's say it's Toby Gerhart. You picked him up on Wednesday, and the ADP is out. If you keep Toby, you're playing strategy. If you drop him for the defense you want to play on Sunday morning 5 minutes before the wire locks, then you're churning.

FatFoot wrote:It's pretty simple, IMO.
If you are just waiting until the last minute to grab a kicker or defense etc, and are holding a player artificially, during the week, you're churning

Kickers aren't players?
Poor kickers, they get no respect I tell ya...no respect....

Unless you have one of the top 5 kickers, they're pretty much interchangeable, based on matchups. Similar can be said about defense. If you had a great kicker who went down, etc... if for any reason you've ended up with a kicker from the BLOB that averages 8 FP, it doesn't matter who you start. So kickers, backup TEs, handcuff RBs, and Defenses are the typical roster spots that get flipped for churns.

But it's immaterial. For me, the deciding factor on churning (unacceptable) vs prevention (smart) is whether or not you carry the player you pickup over the weekend. If he's on your roster over the weekend, you're doing nothing wrong IMO. If you drop him to the locked WW, or drop him at the last minute, you're churning, and as stated, will be eliminated from the league next season.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Maris09 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:05 pm

FatFoot wrote:But it's immaterial. For me, the deciding factor on churning (unacceptable) vs prevention (smart) is whether or not you carry the player you pickup over the weekend. If he's on your roster over the weekend, you're doing nothing wrong IMO. If you drop him to the locked WW, or drop him at the last minute, you're churning, and as stated, will be eliminated from the league next season.

Yeah I was just joking about the kicker thing.

So my question is, you can still play keep away without allowing your opponent access to a player, and also without "churning." You simply don't drop the same guy. You still wait until Sunday to add your kicker for whatever player you end up up dropping, but since it's not the same one one you picked up it's not churning.

My point is, the exact same outcome still occurs. You still add a player for a kicker, you still aren't allowing your opponent access to any player, and so really what does it matter that you're keeping the guy you added "over the weekend." The same result still occurs.
So to me it's just a big hubbub about nothing. It's semantics. It's a technicality.

I'd just have no problem if someone were to do this to me, so I have no issue doing it myself.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk