Anyone ever pickup players to prevent others from doing so? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone ever pickup players to prevent others from doing so?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Anyone ever pickup players to prevent others from doing so?

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:27 pm

[quote=".

My point is, the exact same outcome still occurs. You still add a player for a kicker, you still aren't allowing your opponent access to any player, and so really what does it matter that you're keeping the guy you added "over the weekend." The same result still occurs.
So to me it's just a big hubbub about nothing. It's semantics. It's a technicality.

.[/quote]

yes..exactly. it is the same thing.still churning. still wrong. the point is not that its the same player. the point is the act of dropping a player in a manner where nobody else can pick him up. forget the same player thing...its the intent

littering a week old candy bar wrapper is just as bad as lttering a freshly removed candy bar wrapper. littering is littering. but then again you dont care about littering...so its ok

i liek how each time someone new comes in we just say the same thing to that guy that we have told to 15 previous posters
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:03 pm

I guess then it all depends on intent... and in most cases, the other guy isn't going to explain his motive to you.
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Maris09 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:35 pm

shawngee03 wrote:yes..exactly. it is the same thing.still churning. still wrong. the point is not that its the same player. the point is the act of dropping a player in a manner where nobody else can pick him up. forget the same player thing...its the intent

There are some in this thread that have differed in their opinion on that.

shawngee03 wrote:littering a week old candy bar wrapper is just as bad as lttering a freshly removed candy bar wrapper. littering is littering. but then again you dont care about littering...so its ok

You are big on trash and trash anecdotes.... :-D

FantasySportsMaven wrote:I guess then it all depends on intent... and in most cases, the other guy isn't going to explain his motive to you.

But see that's exactly my point. No one is going to be able to tell for sure what's what.
So as long as a person is not breaking the rules put forth in the system settings at draft time, it's fair play.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Easy way to deal with this. Don't allow players who are dropped to be picked up until the next week. Don't allow players to pick up and drop a guy in the same week, without SPECIFICALLY explaining to the league the reason for the add and drop.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spodog » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:48 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:Last time I saw crap fly out of the back of a pickup truck, I stopped and picked up the trash and then followed the guy to his jobs parking lot. I took the trash to him and said it was his as I saw it fly out of the back of his truck, and knew he would want it back so he could dispose of it properly. He took the trash, and tossed it on the ground.

So, I went home and got my smelly garbage, closed the tie on the bag, and disposed of it in the back of his truck... with a note on his windshield saying that I was happy to dispose of his garbage and knew he wouldn'y mind returning the favor. I can only hope that the leaking turkey gut juice in the bed of his truck reminded him to not litter in the future?

Get a life!
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dolfan19 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:14 pm

Nine pages on this simple topic??! talk about a need to have the last word.

Of course picking up players to prevent others from doing so is a good strategy if you have roster room. If you pickup and drop the same guy in the same week, that is Churning- which is either illegal or frowned upon in the vast majority of serious Fantasy football leagues. (which is what Met said on page 1)

Dropping a K or DST for a skill player and then waiting until the end of the week to pick up another K/DST and dropping a different skill player may not technically be defined as churning, but it is a small abuse of the roster limits. Most people probably wouldn't care, especially if the owner is not doing this every single week. This can easily be put to a stop by making a rule that teams must have 1 K and 1 DST rostered at all times.

If you guys can't agree on what popular opinion is, then go ahead and make some polls.
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 53)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:41 pm

spodog wrote:
FantasySportsMaven wrote:Last time I saw crap fly out of the back of a pickup truck, I stopped and picked up the trash and then followed the guy to his jobs parking lot. I took the trash to him and said it was his as I saw it fly out of the back of his truck, and knew he would want it back so he could dispose of it properly. He took the trash, and tossed it on the ground.

So, I went home and got my smelly garbage, closed the tie on the bag, and disposed of it in the back of his truck... with a note on his windshield saying that I was happy to dispose of his garbage and knew he wouldn'y mind returning the favor. I can only hope that the leaking turkey gut juice in the bed of his truck reminded him to not litter in the future?

Get a life!

LOL, who needs to get a life more... someone who sees a lowlife littering and trys to teach them how to do the right thing, or someone who takes the time to deride the teacher? ROTFL... ;-)
2011 FFB Totals
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:07 pm

if you stopped to pick up what flew out of the pickup truck, how were you then able to follow it? It would have been long gone.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:22 pm

scottaa1 wrote:if you stopped to pick up what flew out of the pickup truck, how were you then able to follow it? It would have been long gone.

He went to Kroger. That's a grocery store. They probably have grocery stores in Indy too, don't they? :-)
2011 FFB Totals
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby joejlitz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:38 am

shawngee03 wrote:to help explain...if the league doesnt have waivers...then that player is available as soon as you drop him, so waiting until sun morning wouldnt accomplish your tactic. if the league does have waivers...then he is unavailable. so holding him until sun morning to put him on waivers is an abuse of the waiver system... you are now abusing that setting to keep a player away from everybody else. and that abuse of power is called churning

if the league wanted dropped players to not be available that week...that setting can be made

The Eagles got tired of TO in 2005, but instead of releasing him or trading him where another team could use him against the Eagles, they held him. Same thing with Keyshawn in Tampa. I don't have any problem with a team withholding a player on their roster so another team can't use him and I don't have a problem with manipulating the timely release of players (Sundays) because the NFL does it and fantasy is modeled on the NFL.

Chruning becomes an issue for me because real teams can't and don't do it (picking up and dropping the same player in the same week). If the NFL did it, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. And you guys wouldn't either.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk