Anyone ever pickup players to prevent others from doing so? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone ever pickup players to prevent others from doing so?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Anyone ever pickup players to prevent others from doing so?

Postby joejlitz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:56 am

shawngee03 wrote:i liek how each time someone new comes in we just say the same thing to that guy that we have told to 15 previous posters

Maybe if every new guy has a different opinion than you, than maybe you are the one who is, I don't want to say wrong, but let's say in the minority.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Maris09 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:40 pm

joejlitz wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:i liek how each time someone new comes in we just say the same thing to that guy that we have told to 15 previous posters

Maybe if every new guy has a different opinion than you, than maybe you are the one who is, I don't want to say wrong, but let's say in the minority.

He actually has the same opinion as the majority of people in this thread.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Maris09 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:

He actually has the same opinion as the majority of people in this thread.

Oh :-B
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:08 am

Seems to me that this is possibly another issue where right and wrong comes down to intent?

I am always trying to improve my teams, regardless of their opportunity to make the playoffs or even with regard to winning that weeks matchup. So, if Westbrook, or Tolbert or Henne is on FA, and they are potentially better than a player they will replace on my roster, I am gonna pick them up even if they never start a single game for my team. But, I am not picking them up to keep them from another team but instead to give my team depth.

I also am guilty of occasionally picking up a player who is a handcuff to a newly injured stud, by dropping my kicker. Then, depending on the severity of the injury reports to the stud player, on Sunday morning I either drop the newly acquired handcuff for a kicker or make a decision to drop someone else for one.
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Maris09 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:46 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:I also am guilty of occasionally picking up a player who is a handcuff to a newly injured stud, by dropping my kicker. Then, depending on the severity of the injury reports to the stud player, on Sunday morning I either drop the newly acquired handcuff for a kicker or make a decision to drop someone else for one.

That's kind of what I've been saying. It is impossible to determine intent on something like this. So really all you can do is follow whatever roster setting regulations we're set at draft time, and go from there.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby FatFoot » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:59 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:Seems to me that this is possibly another issue where right and wrong comes down to intent?

I saw you write something about this re: churning. But it'd be nice to have you explain your concept better.

And in most leagues, right and wrong are determined by "the rules," almost SPECIFICALLY because they try to prevent problems and worthless debates over contested subjects like this. The majority opinion is that "churning" is indefensible. It's worth considering that majority encompasses the dudley do-rights as well as the jerk-face d-bags. It's against the spirit of the game to take advantage of functions in the software. And it IS a software thing. If this were still a pen and paper game you couldn't churn unless you're the commish, and I'm SURE you'd get your butt kicked by the owners for doing so. :)

I am always trying to improve my teams, regardless of their opportunity to make the playoffs or even with regard to winning that weeks matchup. So, if Westbrook, or Tolbert or Henne is on FA, and they are potentially better than a player they will replace on my roster, I am gonna pick them up even if they never start a single game for my team. But, I am not picking them up to keep them from another team but instead to give my team depth.

Then why would that even relate to the thread? I think this thread is largely confused by people who refuse to nail down their terminology. ROSTERING A PLAYER to HELP YOUR TEAM is not related to churning or any rule violation. Rostering a player for most of a week, and dropping him at the last minute is taking advantage of an option that's available in your software, not strategy. Some leagues prevent this by not allowing you to drop those pickups without informing the commish. And none that I've ever been in would allow you to exhibit a pattern of behavior where you do this more than once, regardless of "intent."

I also am guilty of occasionally picking up a player who is a handcuff to a newly injured stud, by dropping my kicker.

This isn't against the rules, but it's sketchy as hell, IMO. The whole league is probably watching you like a hawk to see who you drop to pick up your kicker.

Then, depending on the severity of the injury reports to the stud player, on Sunday morning I either drop the newly acquired handcuff for a kicker

That's why it's sketchy. It's totally unsportsmanlike to do this, IMO. I don't think this is strictly POSSIBLE to do purely without being a form of churning, taking advantage of timing that's afforded to you by the automation of the game, as opposed to the strategy in the game. But I appreciate your input on this, because it's something I know a few of us will bring up to our commishes over the summer to add to the rules. I don't want to play in a league where someone will extend their roster by a slot to stop another team from being able to get a player.

or make a decision to drop someone else for one.

That's kosher IMO, as you're paying your way... you're keeping the player you picked up. That's totally normal.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby FatFoot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:01 am

Maris09 wrote:
FantasySportsMaven wrote:I also am guilty of occasionally picking up a player who is a handcuff to a newly injured stud, by dropping my kicker. Then, depending on the severity of the injury reports to the stud player, on Sunday morning I either drop the newly acquired handcuff for a kicker or make a decision to drop someone else for one.

That's kind of what I've been saying. It is impossible to determine intent on something like this. So really all you can do is follow whatever roster setting regulations we're set at draft time, and go from there.

I agree that if it's not in the rules, it shouldn't be deliberated mid season. I don't care about "intent" personally. I think it's SUPER CHEESY to do. I'll make sure it's specifically detailed in our rules next season.

The possibility of this circumstance happening with anything resembling regularity by a team goes a long way toward establishing intent, though.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:55 am

yes....next year new rule: each team must roster a player of each position at all times
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Maris09 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:01 pm

shawngee03 wrote:yes....next year new rule: each team must roster a player of each position at all times

I think that's a fine rule, and if it were in place I'd never think about breaking it.
But if it isn't, then do what you can to win.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk