Why not fire them all? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Why not fire them all?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why not fire them all?

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Lewand, Mayhew, and the Schwartz? Why not fire them all at the end of the season?
No, I'm not just being bitter. I cannot come up with any rationale for keeping any of them. As I type this I am watching some nobody coach name Raheem Morris or something having a demonstrative, heating arguement with Zebras who called weak PI penalty that led to half ending TD. It strikes me that he has a point and that his team can see he has their back and cares enough to complain directly to Zebras without regard to fines of futility. His team is a surprise team that plays with heart every week. Schwartz never backs his Lions, saying that games were lost on lots of plays rather than Megatrons Processed Crap play. And it shows, his team lacks focus and discipline, and instead of coming together they are falling apart. He failed to fight for them, and they fail to fight for him.
I also think Schwartz lacks conviction. Early this season there was a lot of grief coming from fan base about Megatron not getting the ball. Lo and behold the next week he was force-fed the ball. A coach cannot have rabbit ears, he must be sure of his chosen path. He waivers and his team will follow suit.
As for Mayhew, draft day reveals a flaw in his thinking. You don't pick a TE in round one unless your team is set. You don't pick an injury prone burner RB and not chance a bruising RB in the last round (LaGarrett Blount) Its a last round pick, attitude-cut him, can't play-cut him. You've nothing to lose and much to gain. A pass = fail here for Mayhew. His biggest mistake reveals his lack of experience and could show he is a puppet. You do not, under any circumstance, hire a rookie as a head coach. If his mentor Millen should have taught Mayhew anything, its that you have no chance with rookie head coaches on this team. Marty and NimRod are living proof. I fear that the hiring of Schwartz and not drafting bad rep Blount may reveal we have a total company man as a GM. And there is nothing good that can be said of being a company man when William Clay Ford is the head of the company.
Lewand should be gone because he is the epitome of a Ford man--he knows little about the game, but can crunch numbers and obey orders.
This team needs an enema.
If anyone can think of a reason why all these guys shouldn't be unemployed at season's end, I'd love to hear it.

My gosh, you do realize we are on the cusp of finishing 2-14 again? Sickening. Absolute garbage. The Lions are still a joke, only the names have changed.

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why not fire them all?

Postby dream_017 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:50 am

moochman wrote:If his mentor Millen should have taught Mayhew anything, its that you have no chance with rookie head coaches on this team. Marty and NimRod are living proof.

If only we could get a coach that got his team to the Super Bowl (Ross) or even won a Super Bowl (Mooch). I'm sure that would turn the franchise around ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby moochman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:10 pm

dream_017 wrote:
moochman wrote:If his mentor Millen should have taught Mayhew anything, its that you have no chance with rookie head coaches on this team. Marty and NimRod are living proof.

If only we could get a coach that got his team to the Super Bowl (Ross) or even won a Super Bowl (Mooch). I'm sure that would turn the franchise around ;-7

Booby Ross won more games in the 9 games he coached the year he snapped than Schwartz will have in his first two seasons. Mariucci never won a SB as a head coach and was topedoed by the apple of Lord Ford's eyes, Joey Blueskies. We both know this team is getting better, right? The D-line sets the table for competitive football. Megatron makes the O go. But where have we gone? Weakness at head coach has led us to at least two less wins to date than we should have had. Sometmes the difference in a team turning a corner or sliding back is confidence. That comes with trust in coaching staff, which grows with success. We've seen this team play harder this year, but not finish games. Just look at statistics for both O and D. The Lions league rankings are much better, but we've still only two wins. Heck the Lions this year are putting up better stats than the 7win team that Marinelli had. But only two wins.
Please understand, I am not hating. I really see improvement on this team, but we cannot afford to have weak coaching costing us the precious few games we can win. And Schwartz has done not one thing to win a game. Not one.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:03 am

i'm willing to give them one more year. i just hate to start all over again with a new GM and new HC who wants to get his guys and his system and 2 years later when it's not working because we dont have enough of the "right guys" after turning over 75% of our roster people will be calling for a change again
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i'm willing to give them one more year. i just hate to start all over again with a new GM and new HC who wants to get his guys and his system and 2 years later when it's not working because we dont have enough of the "right guys" after turning over 75% of our roster people will be calling for a change again

Likely a given that there will be no changes, and maybe there shouldn't be. I am not immune to knee-jerk reactionaryism (if thats a word) As for turning over a roster, I don't think its as important how much turnover as it is who is chosing replacements. I don't see our current GM and coach as being smart or strong enough to make the hard calls needed to turn this disasterous franchise around. :,-(

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Detroit Lions