Is it EVER ok to throw a game? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Is it EVER ok to throw a game?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Throw a Game?

Postby dgan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:36 pm

moochman wrote:
biju wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Agree with all those who call it unsportsmanlike. Also wrong for the worst teams to tank the last few games to try and get a higher draft pick (in several of my leagues teams are punished for this by taking away their high pick and bumping them down the list).

In my big money league all the teams that don't make the playoffs are put in a bucket for weeks 14-16 and the highest scoring team takes the 1st pick and it goes on down the line from there. It keeps teams from tanking in a huge way.

In other words, it's not possible to tank your way into the #1 spot the following year.

;-D

So basically you insure the worst team does not get the number one pick?

We do the same thing in our league. Typically, if you miss the playoffs, you've known for a while that your team stinks. Rather than tanking to get a better pick, you should be spending that time trying to improve your team for your own (although lesser) playoff run.

Not only does this ensure people won't tank, but also makes the WW situation more stable and realistic. The 2-8 teams are still grabbing guys off the wire. Everyone in our league really likes this mini-challenge. It gives teams that are out of it still something to play for.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Is it EVER ok to throw a game?

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:50 am

I am in a league where I am battling for the final spot in the playoffs. The team I am competing against(Team A) is playing a guy who doesn't like me(Team B). Upon looking at the matchup, I see that Team B has Reed at Kicker and a less than optimal lineup for the rest of his starters. It seems obvious to me that Team B's owner is throwing his game in order to help Team A beat me for the last playoff spot. The game is otherwise meaningless to Team B as he has clinched his playoff spot.

So, I sent a confidential email to the Commish asking him to gently ask Team B to insert a valid lineup.

Problem is, the Commish runs Team A.

Essentially, the Commish said that he won't tell Team B to do anything and that if he wants to throw the game to prevent me from making the playoffs, that is ok with him.

So, I then said that if that is okay, then it is okay for me to drop my kicker and defense to stock up on young players for next year since if prevented from making is playoffs, that would be in the best interest of my team.
When I checked my team on Yahoo, I saw that it was locked by the Commish.

Is it ever okay to throw a game?
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Is it EVER ok to throw a game?

Postby spodog » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:28 am

Maybe your question should be Is it ever ok to impeach a commissioner. Sounds like this league is a mess.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cards24 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:42 am

Throwing away games in fantasy football is one of the biggest violations someone can make. In my league actions like that would make you lose your privilege to come back next season.
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Cards24 wrote:Throwing away games in fantasy football is one of the biggest violations someone can make. In my league actions like that would make you lose your privilege to come back next season.

Sounds kind of like your stock answer, eh? :-b

That said, I agree with the impeachment of the commish along with some serious house cleaning ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:34 pm

LOL. I apologize in advance if you guys are in the same league.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=487112
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby dgan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:36 pm

What the "other guy" is thinking, and what we told him about it...

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=486960
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:34 am

I didn't read the responses, but I NEVER throw a game to a fault. Picking who you think you can beat can backfire. The old saying "be careful what you wish for". Half of my 12 leagues are dynasty leagues and I screw myself out of higher draft picks sometimes...but I wouldn't have it any other way. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:43 am

The answer is "no" and this:

spodog wrote:Maybe your question should be Is it ever ok to impeach a commissioner. Sounds like this league is a mess.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:08 am

Throwing a game is just plain scumbag cheating, IMO, for any reason.

Otherwise, then anything you can do to help your team would be legal also... including stuff like trade collusion, owning multiple teams in same league annonymously, dumping players so your buddy can claim them, throwing games to get the first draft pick, dropping kickers and defenses to stock up on skill players in a keeper or dynasty league, etc...

I have NEVER thrown a game nor not done everything I could to win a game regardless of my teams situation, and I never will.

Throwing a game for ANY reason is out and out cheating. PERIOD!

Coincidentally, I am currently in a league where someone elses cheating will probably cost me a playoff spot:
viewtopic.php?t=487112

BTW, I too like leagues which reward the winner of the consolation round the 1st pick in the draft. The only tweaking that situation needs is for the bottom two teams in the league should get the first round byes, if there are any byes. That way, the worse teams don't have to win one more game than the best non-playoff teams.
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner