Is it EVER ok to throw a game? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Is it EVER ok to throw a game?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Is it EVER ok to throw a game?

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:21 am

Here is the latest...
- I posted my decision to quit this league after this season, along with my reasons why(BTW, I am the defending league champion)
- Since my team was locked, I posted my desire to pick up Graham(K) and posted what my starting lineup should be for this weeks games.
- Commish added Graham and unlocked my ability to set my lineup, which I did.
- Upon seeing my post, Team B's owner picked up a valid kicker and reset his lineup to field his best team.
- Yahoo responded to my email by saying they don't mess with private leagues.
- My ability to add/drop olayers is still locked... so, if I win and Team A loses, I will be unable to pick up anyone on waivers/FA.

I'll update this thread as the situation changes.....
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:57 am

The Commish just posted that he unlocked my lineup but will not allow me to pickup/drop players... and that he will do that for me.

Don't exactly know how that is going to work for waivers... since if I tell him who I want, he can easily take that player himself with his higher waiver priority?

I WOULD JUST LOVE TO WIN THIS YEARS CHAMPIONSHIP IN MY LAST YEAR IN THIS LEAGUE. :-D
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:00 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:I am in a league where I am battling for the final spot in the playoffs. The team I am competing against(Team A) is playing a guy who doesn't like me(Team B). Upon looking at the matchup, I see that Team B has Reed at Kicker and a less than optimal lineup for the rest of his starters. It seems obvious to me that Team B's owner is throwing his game in order to help Team A beat me for the last playoff spot. The game is otherwise meaningless to Team B as he has clinched his playoff spot.

So, I sent a confidential email to the Commish asking him to gently ask Team B to insert a valid lineup.

Problem is, the Commish runs Team A.

Essentially, the Commish said that he won't tell Team B to do anything and that if he wants to throw the game to prevent me from making the playoffs, that is ok with him.

So, I then said that if that is okay, then it is okay for me to drop my kicker and defense to stock up on young players for next year since if prevented from making is playoffs, that would be in the best interest of my team.
When I checked my team on Yahoo, I saw that it was locked by the Commish.

Is it ever okay to throw a game?

Actually Reed is playing this weekend - the 49ers have signed him and he will start for them.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Re: Throw a Game?

Postby FatFoot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:06 pm

I think that one of the most basic functions of a competitive league (which makes it WAY more fun IMO) is that everyone is always trying to win.

I think that deliberately throwing a game is cheesy... and hey, it might not be cheating. But if you do it in any sort of obvious way, expect to be called out on it. In our leagues, it'd be tolerated, but you wouldn't be invited back.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:16 pm

I believe that is the very definition of collusion.
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:26 pm

It's really not.

If you decide to do this on your own, and don't consult another owner, then you're not colluding with anyone.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:27 pm

FatFoot wrote:It's really not.

If you decide to do this on your own, and don't consult another owner, then you're not colluding with anyone.

It's implicit collusion. You are trying to discourage competition by deceiving/misleading others through your actions. Their mere silence or non-protest of this action is collusive. They don't need to be an active participant if they passively allow the illegality to occur.
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 pm

I don't want to get into a debate about this, but I disagree. It's the commish's job to make sure nothing untoward is happening. I have no obligation to even log in to view scores and lineups, other than my own. My team is my job. Your team is your job. And the only reason we have a commish is so that someone's there to keep order.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby brikz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:08 am

In one of my leagues, my brother's team was pretty much out of it going into last week. He was 4-7, in 9th place, and would have needed a miracle to make the playoffs with two weeks left. He was playing his roomate's team. His roomate has one of the weakest teams in the league having put up the second fewest points, but due to some luck and the schedule falling the right way for him he was 6-5 and holding the 6th and final playoff spot. There was talk between them about my brother throwing the game so that his roomate could lock up a playoff spot.

Even though I would be much better off with his roomate making the playoffs over every other team in the hunt, I convinced him to play the game out anyway. Every domino fell the way he needed it to and now he's sitting in 7th with a chance to lock up a playoff spot with a win and his roomate losing (very likely considering he's playing my 1st place squad that already got 53 points out of Foster/Schaub). Now I'm in the position of throwing the game to serve my interests, but in effect I'd be screwinging my own brother. But even if it wasn't my blood in that position, I would still play the game out as if it were the championship, because I'd expect every other owner in my league to do the same thing.
brikz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby AsstroTEP » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:34 pm

It's NEVER ok to throw a game. I actually commend you for standing up to the commish. I run a league myself and I've had a couple of guys collude and dump games so that one could win the league, so I've been there.

I think that if you really feel adamant about the whole thing, you should bring it up to everyone else in the league while you're at it. If anything, they might all choose to side with you about this and the commish AND Dumpy will be on their tukus next season. Personally, I'd be posting them online right now.

Worse case, I'm sure there's another league you could find to join and rule that one too.
AsstroTEP
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner