You're OUT of the PLAYOFFS... do you -- - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

You're OUT of the PLAYOFFS... do you --

Moderator: Football Moderators

You're OUT of the PLAYOFFS... do you --

Postby FatFoot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:31 pm

-- keep playing normal FF like it's week 1 and you can still win (i.e. play spoiler in normal fantasy terms)
-- Just field teams off of your existing roster, to let the guys in the hunt have the WW as their playground, etc?

There are a few teams in one of my leagues that have been out since mid-season, and they're still playing the WW hard, and trying to win. I respect this. But I don't know what the norm is... what do you do? What does your league do, typically?

I think it's right to keep trying to win, or to do everything legitimately possible to make your opponent lose each week, but I draw the line at picking up players that you know you won't be using, that playoff-bound teams would otherwise pick up.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: You're OUT of the PLAYOFFS... do you --

Postby Flyn high again » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:07 pm

One of my leagues lets everyone into the playoffs regardless of record. It also drafts next year according to this year's regular season finish. I have tried to change these rules but keep getting outvoted. Many of the guys tank when they realize they can't win their division and then turn it up when the playoffs start. I have been lucky enough to win my division each year so I don't know for sure what I would do. Probably try to put together as strong a team as I can for the playoffs while still tanking games for the draft. Depends on who I would be playing in the playoffs and their relative strengths vs. my team. The guys outvote me to keep this system in place so it's only fair to take advantage of it if necessary.

In my regular league, I'd play the same way I have all season and try to spoil other guy's weeks. I don't give up. Ever. I have done my best to teach this to my kids during their scholastic sports careers. I have never given them grief for losing if they put effort into their performances. On the rare times, they decided to quit, I have come down like a ton of bricks. A winner is someone who does their best regardless of circumstances.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:15 pm

I play it to the end. Why would I make it easier for the teams that have been eating my lunch all year?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:21 pm

i have never liked taking away players from FA that playoff teams could use. i am out of it...ill just play w the team i have.

im not going to tank...but im not going to steal guys that playoff teams could use...as im playing for nothing

the Royals dont start trading for elder veterans to improve their team each July....the yankees do
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:08 pm

I play it to the end.

As for waiver and FA adds, it depends on the type of league. Although I want to win every game regardless, if I am out of the playoffs in a dynasty or keeper league, I will drop guys like Farve and pick up players like Ford. I see no problem with continuing to try to win while improving my team for next year at the same time.
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:24 pm

i try and win every week no matter what
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:59 pm

if it's late season and I'm not in or fighting to be in the playoffs I don't look for trades or WW acquisitions, I just play who I have and cover any vacancy from free agency.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby HunglikeChampions » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:01 pm

I set up a thing in my league wher epeople who dont make the playoffs play off in a losers bracket for who gets first pick the next year. Its a keeper league so there are always 1-3 players that would be great keepers for some teams that get dropped by stacked teams so having that first pick is a great advantage. It keeps everybody playing until the end.
HunglikeChampions
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 pm

Until playoffs, do what you want. In a redraft league, play hard. Don't let the playoff teams build great teams just because. You're actually penalizing the better teams by not picking up guys, since the worse teams are more likely to take advantage of the WW.

In a keeper league, it gets tricky. In my keepers, we lock teams once they are eliminated from playoffs. Why? Once you start talking about trading future assets like draft picks, too many people have stake in other people's seasons. So you end up with guys making moves not to improve their teams but instead to screw over other people. That's not cool.

So basically, try to improve your team, don't try to screw over other guys.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FFslacker » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:46 am

I always play to the end. I have the mindset that I might not be in the hunt but I can sure still affect the outcome of who may win. However not everyone thinks like me so in my friends league we started a smaller prize pool this year for the consolation bracket to hinder anyone from losing interest when they come to the realization that they aren't making the playoffs. It's not much but it does cover your buy-in so essentially there is no reason to give up in our league unless you just like throwing money away.
FFslacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk