You're OUT of the PLAYOFFS... do you -- - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

You're OUT of the PLAYOFFS... do you --

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: You're OUT of the PLAYOFFS... do you --

Postby joejlitz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:47 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:In week 14, if you are not in the playoffs, you are not playing.

Not sure if I'm reading this the way it's intended. Are you saying that if a team didnt make the playoffs they should back off, or are you saying that if a team isn't it in the playoffs, the assumption is that they haven't been trying?

No - I'm sure everyone was trying.

What I mean is that they literally can't play anymore. In our 10 team, redraft, $$ league with all my boys from back home, 6 teams make the playoffs which start in Week 14. The season is over for the other 4 teams. Those 4 teams do not participate in any kind of toilet bowl, consolation bracket, etc.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:57 pm

joejlitz wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:In week 14, if you are not in the playoffs, you are not playing.

Not sure if I'm reading this the way it's intended. Are you saying that if a team didnt make the playoffs they should back off, or are you saying that if a team isn't it in the playoffs, the assumption is that they haven't been trying?

No - I'm sure everyone was trying.

What I mean is that they literally can't play anymore. In our 10 team, redraft, $$ league with all my boys from back home, 6 teams make the playoffs which start in Week 14. The season is over for the other 4 teams. Those 4 teams do not participate in any kind of toilet bowl, consolation bracket, etc.

ah, kk, I figured neither of my interpretations was right. 6 of 10 teams make the playoffs? What is it, a hockey league? ;-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Maris09 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:29 pm

joejlitz wrote:But, if there are consolation brackets in your leagues, the settings should be such that WW or FA pickups are not permitted - at all - by teams not vying for 1st place - even if there are other prizes for winning the consolation brackets (small cash prize or draft picks for next year).

It's not fair to those teams in the "real" playoffs if you scoop up a player that they could use, no matter if it is after the official WW period ends or not. If you grab Jason Avant this week after WW ends, and Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson get hurt in practice on Thursday, then you've got a player they can use. And to be honest - your season doesn't matter anymore. That may not be the best example, but I think you get where I'm going.

(you're = any team who is not in the playoffs. Not Jack Black himself) ;-)

I'm going to disagree a little bit. If you're fighting for "small money" or draft position, then you should be able to improve your team.

I do think that the teams left in the real playoffs should have first crack though each week, and the other teams should wait until after the waiver claims have been made.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:21 pm

Maris09 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:But, if there are consolation brackets in your leagues, the settings should be such that WW or FA pickups are not permitted - at all - by teams not vying for 1st place - even if there are other prizes for winning the consolation brackets (small cash prize or draft picks for next year).

It's not fair to those teams in the "real" playoffs if you scoop up a player that they could use, no matter if it is after the official WW period ends or not. If you grab Jason Avant this week after WW ends, and Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson get hurt in practice on Thursday, then you've got a player they can use. And to be honest - your season doesn't matter anymore. That may not be the best example, but I think you get where I'm going.

(you're = any team who is not in the playoffs. Not Jack Black himself) ;-)

I'm going to disagree a little bit. If you're fighting for "small money" or draft position, then you should be able to improve your team.

I do think that the teams left in the real playoffs should have first crack though each week, and the other teams should wait until after the waiver claims have been made.

Sure, this topics going to be an argument that will have good and bad points on each side, but that's why we choose not to allow our teams compete if they fail to make the playoffs. It's just not fair in the long run and no one can complain.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Previous

Return to Football Talk