2011's QB class - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to 2013 NFL Draft

2011's QB class

2011's QB class

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:54 am

So, I'm still getting familiar with the draft class , but I remember people being high on this year's QB's. There were three guys ppl loved talking about - Andrew Luck (So- Sanford), Jake Locker (Sr- Washington) and Ryan Mallett (Jr- Arkansas).

At the beginning of the season, Locker was considered contender for highest QB drafted, along with Luck. But, he's had a horrible season, knocking him out of 1st round consideration for some.

Christian Ponder (Sr- Florida St), Cam Newton (Jr- Auburn) and Terrelle Pryor (Jr- Ohio St) are other names to know.

Clearly, I don't know much about the skills of these guys. I probably left some critical guys out, just trying to get the ball rolling.

Christian Ponder (Sr- Florida St)
Cam Newton (Jr- Auburn)
Jake Locker (Sr- Washington)
Ryan Mallett (Jr- Arkansas)
Blaine Gabbert (Missouri)
Kirk Cousins (Michigan St)
Pat Devlin (Delaware)
Andy Dalton (TCU)
Colin Kaepernick (Nevada)
Tyrod Taylor (Virginia Tech)
Last edited by Kareighuis on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2011's QB class

Postby z raptor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:46 am

A few more to consider:

Blaine Gabbert (Missouri)
Kirk Cousins (Michigan St)
Pat Devlin (Delaware)

Though it's obviously really early, the majority of these qb's are projected to be drafted in the first two/three rounds. Pryor hasn't declared for the NFL draft. Here's three more that (personally) intrique me and could be drafted very late:

Andy Dalton (TCU)
Colin Kaepernick (Nevada)
Tyrod Taylor (Virginia Tech)

BUT, again, a long way to go......... ;-D
z raptor

z raptor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:10 am

Gabbert
Locker
Newton
Kaepernick
Dalton
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:33 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Gabbert
Locker
Newton
Kaepernick
Dalton

Locker over Newton? What is the logic?

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Gabbert
Locker
Newton
Kaepernick
Dalton

Locker over Newton? What is the logic?

Let me start by saying, I love Cam, I wanted him over Brantley at Florida and have rooted for him his whole career. With that, I think the outside baggage that he brings along with him is a big problem for me, especially in the NFL. You have to be focused on being an NFL QB and study your arse off. He is worried about being the total package, including an entertainer etc. I was on record as hating the Bucs drafting Freeman because I thought he was a bust, but what I didn't know was the guy has one of the best work ethics around. He spends hours studying film and sets up practices with his wide outs without being told to by the organization. Cam's work ethic is suspect IMO and I think that hurts him. Locker is a great athlete and has the talent. He was on some awful Washington teams and carried them to victories. He has been up and down in his career, but I think he has all the tools and is ready to make the commitment to being a great QB. He passed up on a lot of money and easier baseball career to play football. He is not only talented, but dedicated.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sullymichaels » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:35 pm

funny looking back how things have gone. Cam has turned out pretty good (surprises me) & Gabbert looks horrid - as does Ponder. Looking forward to watching Yates this week with Texans & hope he surprises all (Texans fan here).
my team (we play Q, R, W, 3 flex, TE, K, Def - 5 bench slots)
Q: Eli & Cutler
W: Rdy White, A. Jeffrey, D. Bess, R. Meachum, J. Nelson,
R: I. Redman, M. Leshoure, B. Powell, C. Johnson (sux)
T: V Davis
K: Gould
D: NYG
sullymichaels
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby The Lung » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:18 pm

The game is too fast for Gabbert and he's sensing pressure when its not there. Christian Ponder, on the other hand, plays calm and collected. His athleticism is really shining through and any concerns about his arm strength have been totally debunked. Any implications that Ponder hasn't shown many, many promising signs as a potential franchise QB are flat out wrong.

Right now Ponder has Percy Harvin - and that's it - to throw to. If the Vikings get him some more playmakers, Ponder will easily be a top 10 QB by his third year. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:15 pm

The Lung wrote:The game is too fast for Gabbert and he's sensing pressure when its not there. Christian Ponder, on the other hand, plays calm and collected. His athleticism is really shining through and any concerns about his arm strength have been totally debunked. Any implications that Ponder hasn't shown many, many promising signs as a potential franchise QB are flat out wrong.

Right now Ponder has Percy Harvin - and that's it - to throw to. If the Vikings get him some more playmakers, Ponder will easily be a top 10 QB by his third year. ;-D

I agree Ponder has looked good, and better than expected. I wonder how much better Gabbert would be if he had a quality WR option- Mike Thomas as your WR1? Might as well have Harry Douglas.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:11 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
The Lung wrote:The game is too fast for Gabbert and he's sensing pressure when its not there. Christian Ponder, on the other hand, plays calm and collected. His athleticism is really shining through and any concerns about his arm strength have been totally debunked. Any implications that Ponder hasn't shown many, many promising signs as a potential franchise QB are flat out wrong.

I agree Ponder has looked good, and better than expected. I wonder how much better Gabbert would be if he had a quality WR option- Mike Thomas as your WR1? Might as well have Harry Douglas.

I had Gabbert up there, but after watching him this season I agree with Lung that the game is too fast for the guy. Maybe he gets better with an offseason this year, but wow he looks lost at times. Credit to Cam to putting in the time, that was my knock on him and he proved me wrong. He has the ability and with the time he will be good. Still stand by Locker and I think he has shown he is going to be good in the little time he has had this season. Dalton also looks good. (Aj Green def helps that one -- he is a beast)
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to 2013 NFL Draft