Playoff Structure - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Playoff Structure

Moderator: Football Moderators

Playoff Structure

Postby Stelly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:14 pm

How does your leage structure its playoffs and seedings? Our league almost had an interesting twist this year, and we are considering re-doing the playoff seedings for next season. I was curious to hear what other leagues do.

Ours is a 10 team league, and we play in two divisions of five teams. Currently, the top two teams from each division make the playoffs. Then the two best records, regardless of division, also make the playoffs, for a total of six teams. The two division winners get a bye (to the semi-finals), while the remaining four teams battle it out in the quarter finals Week 14.

This season though, one division was very dominant. We almost had a situation where the second-best team in Division One had a worse record than the fifth place team in Division Two. That caused some discussion if it's fair to have the top two from each division automatically get in, or if we should just make it the division winners, and then the best four teams after that.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Playoff Structure

Postby 011472 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:24 pm

I wouldn't prefer a situation where six out of twelve teams make the playoffs. It minimizes be regular season in my eyes. In my 12 team money league, we're in three divisions with a 14 game regular season. We play the other teams in our division twice and the teams in the other divisions once. Then only four teams- the three division winners and the wild card with the best record- make the playoffs week 15 and 16. I like how the schedule is fairly balanced, everyone is guaranteed 14 weeks of play with no silly byes, and only the top teams make the playoffs. The championship might not go to the team with the best record or most points, but it goes to a team that's been good all season.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:45 pm

I run two 12 team leagues, 3 divisions (4 teams each). 3 division winners and 3 wild cards make it. Top two seeds get byes into the semi-finals (like the NFL). Division winners get a $ bonus and top four get paid.

The flip side of starting the playoffs in Week 14 is what the previous poster said...you get to play each of your divisional opponents twice (first 3 games and last 3 games), but there aren't enough regular season games to play EVERYONE once...going to a 14 game schedule would accommodate this, it's something we may talk about next season as a league.
BALCO All-Stars
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flyn high again » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:56 pm

In my 10 team league, we have 1 division and the top 6 teams make the playoffs. Ties are broken by overall points scored. This is a competitive league where playoffs can come down to hundredths of a point. 2/3rds of the league is 7/6 or 6/7. First place and my second place teams get byes and top three finishing spots are paid.

In my ridiculously idiotic 12 team league, we have 2 divisions. EVERY TEAM MAKES THE PLAYOFFS. The other division winner and my division winning team get byes. We also get 20% of the pool for winning the division. SuperBowl winner gets 60% less returning the SuperBowl loser's buy in.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby spodog » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Flyn high again wrote:In my ridiculously idiotic 12 team league, we have 2 divisions. EVERY TEAM MAKES THE PLAYOFFS.

Nice. Does every team get a little participation ribbon as well? :-?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:25 pm

24 Team League with 6 Divisions. The 6 division winners, plus 2 wildcard team (best record) qualify for the playoffs.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flyn high again » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:17 pm

spodog wrote:
Flyn high again wrote:In my ridiculously idiotic 12 team league, we have 2 divisions. EVERY TEAM MAKES THE PLAYOFFS.

Nice. Does every team get a little participation ribbon as well? :-?

LOL! I'm surprised the owners haven't voted for something like that. I joined the league because winning the SuperBowl is worth close to a grand and at least half the owners are "not good" at fantasy football. Unfortunately, the idiots have a voting block that continually introduces ridiculous rules. I'm discovering it's a challenge just to keep their "let's help out the bad teams with bad rules" philosophy in check. It's positive EV so I will put up with the goofballs. Which would you rather be in? A league with stupid rules and weird owners that pays you a profit each year or a tough league with solid rules that isn't easy to win? I'm in one of each and both have their advantages.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby spodog » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:28 am

Flyn high again wrote:Which would you rather be in? A league with stupid rules and weird owners that pays you a profit each year or a tough league with solid rules that isn't easy to win?

Definitely the latter. I don't relyon fantasy football as a source of income (thank God), and I don't think I'd hav the patience for stupid rules and weird owners year after year.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk