Leslie Frazier trusts Brett Favre to decide whether to play - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Leslie Frazier trusts Brett Favre to decide whether to play

Moderator: Football Moderators

Leslie Frazier trusts Brett Favre to decide whether to play

Postby spodog » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 am

I actually like what I'm hearing from Frazier on this decision. It is very easy for fans and 3rd party observers to simply say: "The Vikes are toast this year, it's time to sit the old man down, and stick Tavaris in there because it's soooo important for the Vikings to see what they have with Tavaris and start evaluating him for next year

That's too over-simplified and don't agree with it.

This isn't going to be a popular view, but I believe if he's reasonably healthy, that Favre has earned the right to start at QB each of the remaining weeks. Not because the Vikes are going to crawl back into the playoff picture and not necessarily because Favre even gives them the best chance to win on Sundays. I think the reason is more subtle than that. For whatever you think of him and all the drama, the reality is he's a QB starting in his 20th season in the NFL. That's almost an unbelievable statement in today's NFL.

The argument about seeing what they have in Jackson is nonsense as well, as there has been ample opportunity for the Vikings to see what Jackson can and can't do. He is not even close to a shoe-in for a team that needs to do a tremendous amount of introspection in the offseason to determine who they are and where they are going. It's not a given that Jackson is the heir apparent to that QB job anyway.

It appears rather than beating around the bush about these topics, Frazier is intelligently stating what many don't want to hear.

Good for him.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Leslie Frazier trusts Brett Favre to decide whether to play

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:19 pm

Frazier is doing well during his "trial run" as head coach. If he gets the team to play as a "team" and the Vikings finish well, Frazier may get the job permanently. Vikings could do worse than him. Tavaris Jackson is NOT an NFL starting QB. Unless he matures into the job, the Vikings will have to look elsewhere once Favre is gone.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:09 pm

spodog wrote:This isn't going to be a popular view, but I believe if he's reasonably healthy, that Favre has earned the right to start at QB each of the remaining weeks. Not because the Vikes are going to crawl back into the playoff picture and not necessarily because Favre even gives them the best chance to win on Sundays. I think the reason is more subtle than that. For whatever you think of him and all the drama, the reality is he's a QB starting in his 20th season in the NFL. That's almost an unbelievable statement in today's NFL.

More people may agree with this than you think. It's my point of view as well. The only thing I don't want to see Favre do is make token starts, play one drive, then sit, just for sake of his consecutive starts streak. I think that would cheapen it a little, but frankly, years from now we won't remember this part of Favre's career.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby moochman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:27 pm

While I would like to see Favre finish with a flourish, out of respect for his career, in reality the Vikings would be doing themselves a disservice in doing so. Favre won't be back next year and the only thing left to play for is next year. Therefore, Travesty Jackson should be starting the remaining games. Even if for no other reason than to see if he can be your back-up QB.

Princess Brett was brought back to make a run to the Super Bowl. He and the Vikes dropped trou instead. Sit him, cut him, whatever. His final retirement tour is an epic FAIL.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby spodog » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:28 pm

moochman wrote:Favre won't be back next year and the only thing left to play for is next year. Therefore, Travesty Jackson should be starting the remaining games.

Disagree. I think it's just as likely that Jackson is not the 2011 starting QB. Fully expect the Vikes to look to free agency or the draft to obtain QB help. They may be like an AZ or a CLE was last year and sweep the roster altogether at this position with 3 new guys by camp in the spring. Wouldn't be surprised at that at all.

moochman wrote:His final retirement tour is an epic FAIL.

It isn't really that much different than what we've seen with a lot of players who struggled taking the cleats off for the last time. The big difference is the media coverage is much more overwhelming (and of course's Favre's self-inflicted drama).

How well has Brian Westbrook re-vitalized his career in SF this year?

Jerry Rice's final year with the Seahawks. Ugh.

Emmit Smith's final stop in Arizona.

Shaun Alexander really struggled his final year.

Go watch Joe Namath's final act with the Los Angeles Rams.

This syndrome of the old, aging warrior giving it one more try, and hoping to recapture some of the glory from years gone by has been going on for a long time. Favre didn't invent it.

If anything, Favre is one of the few examples of a guy who was actually able to make a difference and perform at the highest level in one of these situations, during the 2009 season, with a run all the way to within minutes of a Super Bowl berth.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:34 pm

scottaa1 wrote:More people may agree with this than you think.

Maybe, but they are largely silent.

ESPN ran one of their polls last night, and close to 70% of those responding indicated that they felt Tavaris Jackson should start this week over Favre.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasyMan13 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Agreed 100%. It would really surprise me if they dont take a QB with the high pick they will have.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Flyn high again » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:44 pm

Regardless of who starts for the rest of the year the Vikings should draft or trade for a QB. Kolb? McNabb? Either would be much better than Jackson.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk