Your player could be great, or could be trash. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Your player could be great, or could be trash.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Your player could be great, or could be trash.

Postby FatFoot » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:48 pm

This always happens to me at playoff time. It never fails.

I always end up in a situation where an injury recovery deadline is dictating whether or not an important player on my team is a stud or total garbage right when we get to the finals. I dominated this particular league from the start. I've got the best record, the second highest points, etc.

This year it's Eli Manning. I admit it. I kind of NEED him to be good. My other QBs faded, underperformed, got injured etc. Basically, situations led to Eli being the best possible start on my team.

Now I need Steve Smith or Hakeem Nicks or both to play by week 15, or I suspect I'm one and done. Guys that aren't even on my team are commanding a point swing of 20 potential fantasy points on MY team's scoring.

Have you ever had a team that you felt could confidently cruise through the playoffs?
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Your player could be great, or could be trash.

Postby spodog » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:54 pm

FatFoot wrote:Have you ever had a team that you felt could confidently cruise through the playoffs?

I've seen plenty of teams with this level of confidence fall flat on their face come playoff time. The irony of Fantasy Fball is that the most important weeks occur when some of the weirdest things are happening with NFL team dynamics.

You mentioned inuries, thats huge this time of year. If your counting on NYG Steve Smith as a WR1 or WR2 into the playoffs, better re-group. He looks like he is going to be one of those guys that the press says great thins about all week, you pysch yourself up to get him in your lineup, he plays 4 snaps and then stands on the sidelines the rest of the game. I'd avoid him.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FatFoot » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Yeah, in this case there are several players who are on the bubble. For me, it's Eli Manning, who is himself healthy, but has no receivers.

But I think some teams are praying for Britt, various SD receivers, Blount, Torain, maybe Starks, Stewart... there are a lot of big upside guys who could just as easily trash out. And you're absolutely right, it SHOULD be worse at the end of the season, with all of these games worth of abuse the players have all taken, etc.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Nicks and Smith are big question marks for the playoffs. Both injuries, especially Nicks' take a lot of time to recover from. I could use Nicks but I'm not relying on him. My 2nd round opponent has Ely so I'll be just as happy if they don't return in time.

In 2005 I steamrolled the league.

Tom Brady
Carson Palmer Believe they were 1-2 or 1-3 that year.

Shaun Alexander (all hail the year he had)
Larry Johnson (Priest Holmes got hurt and I picked up Johnson from FA. He rivaled Alexander and gave me 1-2 RBs)
Domanick Williams (Houston)
Ronnie Brown

Chad Johnson (Ochocinco) (in his prime)
Steve Smith (before the other Steve Smith. I believe both WRs were top 5)
Houshmandzadeh
Joe Horn

Antonio Gates (in his prime)

Vanderjagt
Vinatieri (again, 1-2 or 1-3 for Ks if I remember right)

Pitt.
Minn. (Both DEF had great years)

This team DESTROYED each week. I never won by less than 20 points. Playoffs were a joke. How sweet it was.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:19 pm

It's not possible to avoid this. Every player in the league has the possibility of flopping in a particular game. IMO you just have to draft and/or make trades with the fantasy playoffs in mind. Good players with good matchups in good offenses are fantasy gold at the end of the year and the best chance you can give yourself. But even they are far from a sure thing. Just do what you can to get the odds in your favor, then hope for the best.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:28 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:It's not possible to avoid this. Every player in the league has the possibility of flopping in a particular game. IMO you just have to draft and/or make trades with the fantasy playoffs in mind. Good players with good matchups in good offenses are fantasy gold at the end of the year and the best chance you can give yourself. But even they are far from a sure thing. Just do what you can to get the odds in your favor, then hope for the best.

Exactly the same as poker, Jake. Give yourself the odds and then watch the flip of the cards. Sometimes you win as you should. Sometimes some idiot has Chad Henne vs. Baltimore who throws 4 TDs and Brandon Jacobs vs. Pitt. who runs for 3. (made up the vs. as an example... not reality)
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk