Ethical question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ethical question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ethical question

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:18 am

i woudl allow it. you cant force a guy to keep a guy on his roster if he isnt going to need/use him.

thats basically what the people who object are saying

ive been dropping several guys lately that i know will get picke dup and used by other teams....no biggie. its my team...i can roster who i want as long as it stays within the rules and isnt Maris style :-b
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby spodog » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:16 pm

moochman wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:You can't force him to keep a player he isn't going to use. It's a smart move and should be allowed.

I agree. Though I would still want to take him out back and beat the cleaverness out of him :-b

+2
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:27 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:deadline passed.

I would have called it unethical if he was able to trade him and did not make the attempt. But since the deadline has passed it is irrelevant. It is smart but slightly unethical but certainly not against any rules I have ever seen.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dolfan19 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Interesting situation... at first glance I would have to agree with the majority of posters saying it should be allowed. However it does look very sketchy to me considering he has Henne. Brees is clearly his QB1 and Eli and Schaub should be interchangable for QB2 and QB3. Henne is a bum, and is clearly the QB4. Here's why it looks way sketchy to me:

Schaub - 3098 yards 17 TDs 8 INTs 93.2 rating (and last year's #1 QB in yards w/ 4770) (and last 4 games 7 TDs, 1 INT)
Henne - 2621 yards 12 TDs 15 INTs 77.5 rating

and Schaub has the easier schedule for the next three games.
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 53)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:05 pm

Dolfan19 wrote:Interesting situation... at first glance I would have to agree with the majority of posters saying it should be allowed. However it does look very sketchy to me considering he has Henne. Brees is clearly his QB1 and Eli and Schaub should be interchangable for QB2 and QB3. Henne is a bum, and is clearly the QB4. Here's why it looks way sketchy to me:

Schaub - 3098 yards 17 TDs 8 INTs 93.2 rating (and last year's #1 QB in yards w/ 4770) (and last 4 games 7 TDs, 1 INT)
Henne - 2621 yards 12 TDs 15 INTs 77.5 rating

and Schaub has the easier schedule for the next three games.

What?!?! Schaub has the easier schedule? Now that's just silly. Schaub faces the angry Ravens and then the Titans in Tenessee who shut him down in Houston earlier this year. The point isn't Schaub Vs Henne. The point is he dropped Schaub so that the other manager could pick him up and use him this week. If he dropped Henne the point would be moot as you mentioned Henne isn't great. That's the ethical question, is it ok to drop a guy to another team to help your team make the playoffs? Not who is the better QB Schaub or Henne. It's obviously Schaub which is why he dropped Schaub.

For the record he also has Collins on his roster. So the question isn't did this guy drop his best QB. The question is clearly, is it ok to drop a good player you don't need in order to help another team beat a team YOU need to leave? Yahoo states you cannot drop or dump players unless it improves your team and/or improves your standings in the league. This team losing would improve the standing within the league. It may be slightly shady as one person has said, but it breaks no rules. Does it break an unwritten rule?
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:28 pm

I guess you have to factor in the WW priority in on this too. If the owner that he is supposedly trying to help has the #1 priority, then it can get dicey. If not, then any other owner could block the move by picking him up.
In my money league I am 11-2, and won 9 in a row after losing week one. My line up has been basically set all year, with 2 big trades at the deadline. I did use my bench spots/players (basically 2 spots, since I had a good bench too) to add players that I knew that I would not use, but whom my opponents might use to better their chances against me. Now yes, I was adding depth at the same time, but I had no real intentions of starting these guys.
I see nothing wrong here. What would make me more upset would be a team that had no chance just dumping guys. That affects the balance of the league.
DaShiz23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby murphysxm » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:25 pm

How is this different from a team picking up a player he doesn't need in order to block somebody else from picking him up? It's part of strategy.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby u_fig_eater » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Totally legal...teams can do this IRL, although I can't think of an example.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dolfan19 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:20 am

DaShiz23 wrote:
I see nothing wrong here. What would make me more upset would be a team that had no chance just dumping guys. That affects the balance of the league.

I don't see any difference between the first place or the last place team dumping Schaub (if that team had Schaub) here. What if he dropped Brees? Would most of the posters here if favor think it is still OK? What if he just drops Schaub, and doesn't even bother to pick anyone else up?

It's collusion disguised as a roster move. But you can easily see intent by comparing the dropped player to the other players of that position on his roster. and by looking at who was picked up in his place. If the guy dropped Schaub because he was his worst QB, and picked up a RB which he intended to start or possibly start in the future, I would have no problem with the move.

I'm not saying I would whine and threaten to quit the league. I'm just saying I wouldn't do it myself. If I was commissioner that owner would not be getting an invitation to play again next year. The reason there is no rule is because there can't be one. What's the rule supposed to say? "No owner can drop a good player for the sole purpose of letting another owner use said player."
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 53)

Postby bungle613 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Dolfan19 wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:

I don't see any difference between the first place or the last place team dumping Schaub (if that team had Schaub) here. What if he dropped Brees? Would most of the posters here if favor think it is still OK? What if he just drops Schaub, and doesn't even bother to pick anyone else up?

It's collusion disguised as a roster move. But you can easily see intent by comparing the dropped player to the other players of that position on his roster. and by looking at who was picked up in his place. If the guy dropped Schaub because he was his worst QB, and picked up a RB which he intended to start or possibly start in the future, I would have no problem with the move.

I'm not saying I would whine and threaten to quit the league. I'm just saying I wouldn't do it myself. If I was commissioner that owner would not be getting an invitation to play again next year. The reason there is no rule is because there can't be one. What's the rule supposed to say? "No owner can drop a good player for the sole purpose of letting another owner use said player."

It's not collusion as the other owner has no part of this other than an opportunity to pick up a player. He may or may not get to the computer and make his bid.

Now that it has come out that the owner did not drop his least valuable QB my opinion has changed. I agree with just about everything dolfan said in his last paragraph. It is tough to enforce and not really against any stated rules but my opinion has moved from kind of shady to very shady and I wouldn't have done it.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk