I just realized how much I hate FF sometimes. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I just realized how much I hate FF sometimes.

Moderator: Football Moderators

I just realized how much I hate FF sometimes.

Postby Niner Memories » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:12 pm

I just read an article that listed some "out of nowhere" RBs that performed like 1st round picks. It basically said that if you drafted one of these, you had a good shot at the title.

Then I realized something. I drafted most of them. I have never won. Damnit. This is all in my one main money league. I try to hit receivers early and score on a late round RB.

2010 - A.Foster(6th) and L.McCoy(5th)
2009 - C.Benson(8th), R.Rice(5th) and R. Mendenhall(11th)
2008 - Chris Johnson(10th) and Thomas Jones(6th)
2007 - A.Peterson (6th)

Damn. Very sad. :-t

I keep getting killed in the playoffs by someone with the hot hand. Most notable was getting bumped out of the playoffs in 2008 by Antonio Bryant's 9/200/2 game on monday night. I would have won that year if he didn't make that one handed catch in the back of the endzone.
Last edited by Niner Memories on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niner Memories
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: I just realized how much I hate FF sometimes.

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:44 pm

I ran into the same thing this year. My schedule is always horroble. Play everyone at the wrong time and watch others win because their opponent put up 50. Why cant I ever play the guy who scores 50 instead 140.

My favorite league I play in we play 2 games per week. This way if you are 2nd best scorer at least you go 1-1 and I'm the second best scorer ALOT so this helps. 6 times this year in that league I was #2 scorer and played number 1. Eeked into the playoffs.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Flyn high again » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Can't affect variance (luck). All you can do is put together the most solid team you can, select the guys with hot hands and good match ups and ride the wave over the leprechauns. (How's that for a mixed metaphor?)
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Irish Drunk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:22 pm

There is much to be said for the luck element in fantasy sports. Just a part of the game. It's clear you have a knack for selecting good RB's but what about other positions? There's more to FF than just a good RB. In fact I put stock in the elite QB's just as much, if not more.
Trash Talkin Boozers League Champion 2008 & 2009, Super Bowl Champion 2010
Irish Drunk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:21 pm

Flyn high again wrote:Can't affect variance (luck). All you can do is put together the most solid team you can, select the guys with hot hands and good match ups and ride the wave over the leprechauns. (How's that for a mixed metaphor?)

It's clear that it is important to draft a good team and to be an even better general manager during the season. But sometimes you just can't beat the matchups. What are you to do if your Peyton Hillis and Adrian Peterson lays an egg this week, while your opponent rides the Felix Jones/Mike Goodson/Chris Ivory wave? Your opponent is playing them because he didn't draft Peterson or steal Hillis off the WW.

The truth is that it's just the way it goes. Ask anyone who picked up and played Billy Volek in the playoffs about 4 years ago.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby LMack » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:32 pm

What I find funny is that same complaint is one of the things that people love about fantasy football. Its a pretty good feeling when you're beating out your projections and your duds are taking down someones studs for a week. Any given Sunday.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Return to Football Talk