Commish comp? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Commish comp?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Commish comp?

Postby diablo99 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:28 pm

The commish of my league wants to get a free spot in our league or 10% of the overall buy in for our league for being the commish. Buy in is 150 and 10% would be like 180 dollars. I feel ad though giving him these would take away from the overall winnings of the league. What do other people feel about this? I mean I would be the commish for free.

Thanks!
“You be the Magic Man, and I’ll be El Diablo.” “What’s that mean?” “I think it’s spanish for fighting chicken.”
diablo99
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Commish comp?

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:14 pm

Did this just come up? If so, he shouldn't even be asking for it and no one should feel compelled to give him a cut for whatever work he has done as commish. You'd really need to agree on this before the league forms and drafts.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Payne Dailey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:25 pm

I've played in many leagues over the years and have not seen one commish compensated other then a beer or pizza at the draft.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:00 pm

If he's trying to put that on you this year, without ever having mentioned it to the league, heck no. If he's proposing it for next year, still heck no.

Every Commish worth his position that I"ve played with did it 1) for the joy of the game and league.

In a personal friend redraft league where we all get together at BW3's for the draft, absolutely let's all chip in to pick up the Commish's beer and food. In an online league like the ones I play in here at the Cafe, the guys running the leagues are far more happy with a sincere "Thank you for your efforts" from leaguemates. Heck, I've been in (and won) Cafe leagues where the Commish actually paid the winner out of HIS pocket as a personal Right-On.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:16 pm

It is somewhat customary for the league champion to throw 10% to the commish (though I've been in leagues where this is certainly not the case), but I can't imagine a Commish actually demanding any of these things. It also depends on how much work the Commish does in said league. In the league I run I put in a lot of leg work, but I'd still never ask for anything. A few years the champ has kicked me back and that's awesome, other years they haven't, and that's cool too. Your commish sounds like a tool.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 011472 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:23 pm

bigh0rt wrote:It is somewhat customary for the league champion to throw 10% to the commish (though I've been in leagues where this is certainly not the case), but I can't imagine a Commish actually demanding any of these things. It also depends on how much work the Commish does in said league. In the league I run I put in a lot of leg work, but I'd still never ask for anything. A few years the champ has kicked me back and that's awesome, other years they haven't, and that's cool too. Your commish sounds like a tool.

+1. When I win, I tip the commish, who works really hard. If he expects to be paid otherwise, I'd suggest rotating the duties to another guy each year to make things more fair.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:31 pm

bigh0rt wrote:It is somewhat customary for the league champion to throw 10% to the commish (though I've been in leagues where this is certainly not the case)

I don't play in money leagues anymore, and never won the ones I did play in, so I never had to worry about that. :,-(
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Return to Football Talk