A debate as old as the game itself... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A debate as old as the game itself...

Moderator: Football Moderators

A debate as old as the game itself...

Postby BabyArm » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:45 pm

Here it is, which would you rather have, a clear cut #1 wideout with a huge drop in talent to his #1? (well call him WRA)
OR
A wideout with an equally talented counter part? (WRB)

The debate goes something like this, WRA is awesome and gets a ton (90%) of looks but tends to draw a whole lot of coverage since theres no one else to worry about.

WRB gets less looks (for arguments sake say half) but from time to time is left open because the defence is shading the other way.

Thoughts?
BabyArm
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: A debate as old as the game itself...

Postby Hippo45 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Most of the time it is better to have WRB.

Look at what happened to Reggie Wayne once Marvin Harrison retired or Larry Fitzgerald once Anquan Boldin left.

Yes, there are some WRA that are very valuable like Steve Smith a few years back or Andre Johnson and Roddy White, but the elite wr's tend to have another good wr on their team.
Hippo45
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby spodog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:21 pm

BabyArm wrote:Here it is, which would you rather have, a clear cut #1 wideout with a huge drop in talent to his #1? (well call him WRA)
OR
A wideout with an equally talented counter part? (WRB)

The debate goes something like this, WRA is awesome and gets a ton (90%) of looks but tends to draw a whole lot of coverage since theres no one else to worry about.

WRB gets less looks (for arguments sake say half) but from time to time is left open because the defence is shading the other way.

Thoughts?

If I'm starting an NFL team, I want the clear cut guy (WRA).

If I'm loading up my roster in Fantasy, I want the two WRB guys.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LMack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:47 pm

For fantasy purposes?

It has to be WRA. The top 5 players ranked by percentage of their teams targets last year are, in order, Larry Fitzgerald (31.6%), Roddy White (31.4%), Dwayne Bowe (27.9%), Steve Johnson (27.7%), and Brandon Lloyd (26.5%)

You can't look at those list of 5 names and say that they didn't produce. Using .5 PPR scoring, I'll look at the drop off between our WRA and their less talented teammates. There was a 204.5 drop off between Bowe and Dexter McCluster. There was a 173 point drop off between White and Michael Jenkins. There was a 116 point drop off between Lloyd and Jabar Gaffney. There was a 104.5 point drop off between Steve Johnson and Lee Evans. There was a 66.5 point drop off between Fitzgerald and Steve Breaston.

They draw the coverage, they get the attention of the defense, but they still make the plays.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby spodog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:00 pm

LMack wrote:For fantasy purposes?

It has to be WRA. The top 5 players ranked by percentage of their teams targets last year are, in order, Larry Fitzgerald (31.6%), Roddy White (31.4%), Dwayne Bowe (27.9%), Steve Johnson (27.7%), and Brandon Lloyd (26.5%)

You can't look at those list of 5 names and say that they didn't produce.

The statement in bold is true, however, no one had this list of 5 as the Top 5 ranked WR's on their sheets preseason anywhere on the planet.

With perfect hindsight, it's easy to say I'd much rather have a few of those 5 guys on my roster.

Prior to the season, though Fitz and White were the only 2 guys anywhere near the Top 10 in anybody's preseason rankings. Bowe was probably a mid round guy, and Steve Johnson and Brandon Lloyd were likely not even on a lot of guys' radar AT ALL. ( I know some goof will come on here and say he drafted Stevie Johnson in the 3rd round last summer, but they'll be lying).

There are always busts in the top tier of WR's every year, (last year, see Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Greg Jennings) which is why I'd prefer the two of the WRB's on my team if given the choice. It just spreads my risk.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LMack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:21 pm

spodog wrote:
There are always busts in the top tier of WR's every year, (last year, see Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Greg Jennings) which is why I'd prefer the two of the WRB's on my team if given the choice. It just spreads my risk.

Greg Jennings busted last year? :-?
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:50 pm

I'd rather have WRA. Give me a stud and a dud over two servicable producers. I have the first quarter of the season to find a better replacement for Dudly.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:39 pm

I'd take the stud.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:30 pm

You have to take the stud. No matter how many defenders target the guy, he's never going to get shut out. A WRA is a threat to go to the house each time he touches the ball.

Besides, there are very few teams with proven A-List studs at WR and NOBODY else.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 pm

I think you guys are misinterpreting this question.

The question, as I think I understand it, isn't whether you'd prefer to have a stud/dud or two good players as your WR1/WR2 on your fantasy team. The question is, if you have a good wide receiver on your fantasy team, would you rather him be the only good receiver on his NFL team or be one of a pair of good WRs on his NFL team?

IE let's say you have Larry Fitzgerald. Do you prefer him being the only great receiver on the Cardinals or did you prefer it when Anquan Boldin was the WR2?

The answer to this questions is that I don't think there really is a strict answer. Logically, you can argue either way and make perfect sense.

It seems to be a situational thing. For every Peerless Price who was much better when he was paired with another good WR, there's a Plaxico Burress who performed better for FF once he became the team's only real option. That's why, as the OP said, it's an age old question.

If I had to pick one I'd lean in the favor of guys who are clearly "the guy" on their team. I'll take a ridiculous amount of targets and a lower catch rating over a high catch rating with 60% as many targets. Most of the top wide receivers seem to fit this category, though admittedly that's because there aren't a whole lot of teams with two good ones.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk