A debate as old as the game itself... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A debate as old as the game itself...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: A debate as old as the game itself...

Postby moochman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:04 pm

holey moley, for a crusty cousin of a doughnut, you sure can be smart Bagel. I guess I would still rather have the stud with a dud. I play in PPR leagues primarily, and the WRA will stick out like a rose in a weed patch. He is a stud either because you can't throw a ball past him, or he gets open no matter what. Great in crunch time, which means an extra 3-5 receptions per game. $$
Now in the case of WRB, I actually would rather have WRC-the guy who is WRB second fiddle. A Wes Welker to Randy Moss. Can be drafted much lower, so you get better value.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 pm

I haven't looked at any stats with this question in mind but in thinking about Roddy White last year who had no scary no #2 (sorry Tony) and Reggie Wayne who has always had solid second (even third) options around him or a solo TO (Eagles) vs Chad 85 in his prime when he had TJ Whodaddy opposite him, it seems to me like you might not be able to determine which is the better WR to take just based on their #2.

Having said that I am S-A-L-I-V-A-T-I-N-G at the thought of Calvin Johnson with a adequate O-Line (2012?) and a legit #2 to take the heat off of him. That and a health Stafford?? I am drooling just typing this. Could be a season of Biblical proportions.
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 30)

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:37 pm

moochman wrote:holey moley, for a crusty cousin of a doughnut, you sure can be smart Bagel.

Maybe if you weren't such a foodist it wouldn't surprise you so much.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:12 am

JimiRayThunderaxe wrote:I haven't looked at any stats with this question in mind but in thinking about Roddy White last year who had no scary no #2 (sorry Tony) .

The answer could be found in Roddy's stats from last year, this year (I hope), and 2012. As long as the Falcon's O-line and run game doesn't change much this year or next. I would say that Miles Austin's stats from '09 and 11 would make a good case study, but I think the run games will be much different in those two years. Fitzgerald doesn't make a good example because of extra variables such as the O-line and QB play degrading.

Free Bagel wrote:If I had to pick one I'd lean in the favor of guys who are clearly "the guy" on their team. I'll take a ridiculous amount of targets and a lower catch rating over a high catch rating with 60% as many targets. Most of the top wide receivers seem to fit this category, though admittedly that's because there aren't a whole lot of teams with two good ones.

;-D Sums it up nicely!
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Previous

Return to Football Talk