Collusion? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Collusion?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Collusion?

Postby brikz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:38 pm

10-Team, 4 Keeper League. QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, WR/RB, TE, K, DEF. 7 Bench spots. $50 entry fee with payouts for 1st ($350), 2nd ($100), and 3rd ($50).

It's the semis of the playoffs and I'm still alive. So is the commissoner of our league. Earlier this week, he dropped Matt Ryan to pick up Kellen Winslow. This was his squad at the time:

QB: Brees, Vick, Ryan
WR: A. Johnson, Boldin, Crabtree
RB: Mendenhall, McFadden, Forte, Torain, Westbrook, Gore, Grant
TE: M. Lewis
K: Kaeding
D: TB

Now I know there's really no reason to carry 3 QB's, but based on our settings, Ryan is 9th in total points for QBs. He had other players who were more expendable (Torain, Westbrook) and its not like Winslow is an upgrade over Lewis. There's no way a competitive player would let a QB of that caliber (and a potential keeper) fall to his playoff opponents, right?

Welllll.......the commish's fiancee also plays in this league. And she's also in the playoffs. And it's been questioned whether she runs her team at all or if it's just a second team for him. And she just happened to have the top waiver priority. So she was able to nab Ryan off waivers. Her roster before getting Ryan:

QB: Bradford, Palmer, Fitzpatrick, Romo
WR: Nicks, Britt, Lloyd, Garcon, R. Williams, Sims-Walker
RB: C. Johnson, Jones-Drew, Rice
TE: Witten
K: Akers
D: Philly

I don't think anyone could argue that Ryan isn't a huge upgrade over any of the QB options she already had. Now her (his?) already stacked team has improved it's only real weakness.

I'm playing him this week and she's on the other side of the bracket.

Am I just being overly sensitive or does this seem like a case of cullusion where the commissioner abused the waiver rules to improve his fiancee's team (his second team?) and increase the chances that both of them make the finals and collect more of the league payout?
brikz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Collusion?

Postby noleguy33 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:58 am

Two things jump out at me-

Ryan isn't a massive upgrade over Palmer
The chance of both Vick and Brees going down is practically nil.

I don't necessarily like how it looks, but I might have made the same move as well. The more RBs you have(and you can play 3 per week) the better you can play matchups... there is a slight chance he would play Torain/Westbrook but barring two catastrophic injuries, he isn't playing Ryan. But you are right, I wouldn't give up Ryan... but that's not to say someone else would do the same.

**right before I clicked submit, I went and looked at Palmer's and Ryan's matchups... it might not be a massive upgrade, but I will admit it certainly is an upgrade for her.
noleguy33
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Metroid » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:38 am

Something sure isn't right in Georgia. I don't see Ryan as a major upgrade really, and his may be a case of coincidence, but it sure looks fishy. This is exactly why I never play in leagues with couples, or invite my fiance to be in leagues with me. (not that she would anyway)
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Maris09 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:50 pm

-Torain and Westbrook are absolutely NOT more expendable to this guys team than Ryan is. Not even close.
I'd probably be playing Torain over Forte from here on out, and like another poster said, you can play 3 RB and only 1 QB.

-While Winslow probably isn't an upgrade over Lewis, it is this guys one weak spot, and so having a back up is just a smart more.

-Dropping Ryan when he's never going to play him isn't any kind of collusion at all, even if the team that could pick him up was playing YOU next week. It's just a savy move. Now I can't speak to this guy potentially having "two teams" in the league. That's on you guys to figure out.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:51 am

if you can somehow find out that he made the drop w the intent to upgrade the other team...then its foul

thsi however will be impossible to find true....and its not horrible enough to be automatically called out. unfortunately i dont see it being dissallowed

now what i would do is grill this guy and try and see if it was a little fishy..and if so state you are not going to invite his fiancee back next year...as you are suspicious
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby spodog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:02 am

brikz wrote:
Welllll.......the commish's fiancee also plays in this league. And she's also in the playoffs. And it's been questioned whether she runs her team at all or if it's just a second team for him.

Unless this is a just for fun league, this shouldn't be allowed in the first place. In money leagues, allowing teams owned by relatives, girlfriends, fiances', etc just leads to messy situations.

Given that what's done is done, I think you have to leave this alone unless some solid evidence jumps out that this is collusion. Brees and Vick are a great duo heading into Week 16, so Ryan was expendable on that team. Winslow is not the greatest acquisition, but maybe the guy just wanted some insurance at TE, hard to argue that point.

This is another case in point for why waivers based upon waiver priority are a poor method of player acquisition.

Bidding is a much better method.

See: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=291692&hilit=Bidding
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:57 pm

Money league.... ask her to call you and then get a feel on her ability and past knowledge of running her team.
If fishy, drop out and don't pay a dime if you still owe anything.

Free League.... talk with her but give her the benefit of the doubt and think about just dropping the league.

Good Luck!
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby scientology » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:27 am

sounds fishy...might be time to look for a new league. dont go accusing and ruin a friendship over fantasy football though.
scientology
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner