Computer Processors... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Computer Processors...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Computer Processors...

Postby sox 06 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:54 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
sox 06 wrote:Thanks for all of the help scottaa1 ;-D

When you say bus speed, will this motherboard only take a 400/533 MHz bus speed as stated in the board's specs?

This should be the last "WIll this one work?" question !+)

But, will this one work?

Based on the specs, that should work just fine. the two things to look at are the socket types, which you've identified, and the front side bus speed the board supports - it says it'll do 400/533mhz FSB, and that CPU is a 533mhz FSB chip - should work just fine. Should be a nice upgrade from the celeron chip... faster, and better instruction set. The only thing I'd wonder about is the voltage. But, I think you should be fine with that.

Let us know how it turns out.

Nice, I'll probably end up getting it. Here is the power supply that I installed.

I know I can Google this, but what is the procedure for replacing a processor? Removing the fan, removing the heat sink, removing the clip(?) that holds the processor in, put in new processor, replace heat sink and fan? What about thermal paste?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Metroid wrote:Wow scott, I didn't know you spoke tech nerd fluently.

I like how you edited your post from 'spoke nerd' to 'spoke tech nerd.' :-b
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:01 pm

sox 06 wrote:Nice, I'll probably end up getting it. Here is the power supply that I installed.

I know I can Google this, but what is the procedure for replacing a processor? Removing the fan, removing the heat sink, removing the clip(?) that holds the processor in, put in new processor, replace heat sink and fan? What about thermal paste?

that's about the extent of it. it's a ZIF chip. ZIF = zero insertion force (that's what she said). Make sure you are static discharged, or course. Unplug the fan, pop it off, remove the clamp or swing arm or whatever locks it down, pull the old cpu out and drop the new one in. Should be a pretty easy replacement all in all. I'd recommend that you still google it, as it's been a few years since I was hands-on in hardware.

power supply isn't the same as voltage, that's apples and asparagus. Doubt it's a concern.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:18 pm

and for your thermal paste, i recommend a product called artic silver. better heat transfer than the normal paste.

It's even better than Astroglide :-B
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby sox 06 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:37 pm

scottaa1 wrote:and for your thermal paste, i recommend a product called artic silver. better heat transfer than the normal paste.

So once I install the new processor, I just need to apply a very thin layer of the thermal paste on top right? Am I going to have any problems with the BIOS or will it recognize the new processor?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:47 pm

sox 06 wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:and for your thermal paste, i recommend a product called artic silver. better heat transfer than the normal paste.

So once I install the new processor, I just need to apply a very thin layer of the thermal paste on top right? Am I going to have any problems with the BIOS or will it recognize the new processor?

AFA the BIOS, it'll either POST (power on self test, the 'beep' we all hear when we start a PC) or not. If it doesn't like the chip, it either will do nothing or will error code beep.

as far as your thermal transfer goo, just follow the instructions. It's been a while since I've been hands-on so I don't want to say too much. You've got the right idea though.

check your BIOS, see if there's something in there that shows the core cpu temperature. Monitor that. You may need more cooling. Although if it's overheating it'll be obvious as your puter will freeze up. typically they will turn off before burning themselves up.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby sox 06 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:19 pm

I should be ordering the processor either tonight or tomorrow. I'm so excited :-D

I'm trying to figure out something about the PVR though. When I watch/record standard definiton cable, the quality is kind of bad and the video/audio lags/stutters quite a bit. However, when I use the antenna that came with my tuner and I watch/record HIGH DEFINITION shows, the quality is exactly the same as it is when I watch it with my cable box :-? Standard definition shows are fine when I watch them through my cable box so the signal doesn't seem to be the issue, but I'm not sure what the issue is...
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:56 pm

sox 06 wrote:I should be ordering the processor either tonight or tomorrow. I'm so excited :-D

I'm trying to figure out something about the PVR though. When I watch/record standard definiton cable, the quality is kind of bad and the video/audio lags/stutters quite a bit. However, when I use the antenna that came with my tuner and I watch/record HIGH DEFINITION shows, the quality is exactly the same as it is when I watch it with my cable box :-? Standard definition shows are fine when I watch them through my cable box so the signal doesn't seem to be the issue, but I'm not sure what the issue is...

I know that anxious geeked feeling too, it's fun. Hope it goes seamless and the box is even snappier.

As for the other, HD is good all around for both the box and tv. Standard is fine for tv, but not the box. First thing I'd look to trouble shoot there is the connection of hte standard line to be PC. The cable might be bad, the connector might be bad. If it can handle HD well, the standard should be a no brainer for it.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby sox 06 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm hoping I can get the tuner to work while its hooked up to the cable box, that way I can get all the HDTV channels that I watch on my TV.

I ordered the processor last night so it should arrive sometime late next week. I just want to confirm that this is indeed a ZIF socket. I removed the fan and heatsink. I'm assuming that the tan colored tab on the right hand side moves to the right and out, correct? Sorry for the bad quality picture.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:24 pm

Yeah push that arm down and pull it to the side enough that it clears that little bracket that locks it in place then lift it straight up. Do the opposite to lOck the new chip in place.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk