Computer Processors... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Computer Processors...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Computer Processors...

Postby sox 06 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:12 pm

I installed the Pentium 4 today and everything went smoothly as far as I can tell ;-D

The thermal paste was kind of tricky. I put the amount that the directions told me to apply on the processor and it took me a long time to spread it out evenly and thinly. The processor was recognized automatically so that was good. I took some temperature readings with the old processor so I could compare them to the new processor...
Old Processor:
After running for 5 minutes: 81 degrees F
After running for 20 minutes: 87 degrees F
After running for 30 minutes: 89 degrees F

New Processor:
After running for 5 minutes: 78 degrees F
After running for 20 minutes: 84 degrees F
After running for 30 minutes: 86 degrees F

So apparently this processor is running cooler than the other one. Is this because of the new thermal paste? I'm going to mess around with it to see the difference in the performance of the computer. Another cool thing is the Pentium 4 has Hyper-threading Technology which I enabled in the BIOS ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:57 pm

It's running even cooler than the Celeron chip? That's awesome, I was a little concerned about that. Did you use the arctic silver?

More importantly, how much faster is the box running? Glad it's working out and you're having fun with your project.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:25 pm

sox 06 wrote:Another cool thing is the Pentium 4 has Hyper-threading Technology which I enabled in the BIOS ;-D

so if the chip is running nice and cool... does the BIOS allow for adjusting the bus speed? I'd be tempted, considering it's a project box, to bump up the bus speed and overclock. it's an experiment, so why not play around a bit :-B
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:52 pm

scottaa1 wrote:It's running even cooler than the Celeron chip? That's awesome, I was a little concerned about that. Did you use the arctic silver?

More importantly, how much faster is the box running? Glad it's working out and you're having fun with your project.

I was amazed that it runs cooler, but those temperatures were taken while it was just idling on the desktop, but still. When I did some CPU-intensive things, such as watching TV, the temperature stayed steady around 115 degrees. I didn't take a temperature reading with the Celeron chip streaming TV but I'm hoping this is in the "normal temp range" for a computer.

I couldn't find AS5 in any stores around here and I didn't feel like ordering it online so I went with Antec Silver Compound. From what I can tell, its just AS5 that has been repackaged under a different name. It also has some good customer reviews.

The box is running so much better. From the Windows XP login screen to the desktop is about a second, no kidding. The standard definition cable is a lot smoother than it was before. Google Chrome loads almost as fast as it does on my laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM).

I haven't really looked into the ability to overclock, but I know it wasn't possible with the Celeron processor and I'm using the same BIOS as before, but I'll certainly look into it :-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:01 pm

dude I'm geeked that it's turning out so well :-B
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby sox 06 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:48 pm

scottaa1 wrote:dude I'm geeked that it's turning out so well :-B

Ha, me too B-)

So do you think the 115 degrees Fahrenheit is normal? I know that's kind of an odd and specific question, but I've looked online and have read that some people's computers run around 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Should I think about installing a better CPU fan or should I just roll with what I have?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:12 am

115 isn't bad/. It'd be locking Up if there were heat issues. If its been running this long without seizing; youre fine.

Sorry for typos on iPhone
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby sox 06 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:18 pm

So I can't adjust the bus speed through the BIOS. That's alright though because the computer is running real smooth right now. With the old Celeron processor, the CPU Usage was at 100% when I was watching live TV. With the new Pentium 4 processor, the CPU Usage stays steady between 48-55% while watching live TV 8-o

An idea that I just thought of is getting a fan for the case. There is a spot on the back of the case that has a grate and some holes around it where a case fan is usually located. There appears to be a 3-pin connector nearby on the motherboard (the CPU fan has a 3-pin connector). Would getting a fan be a good idea to help get the hot air out of the case?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:29 am

if you're not having heat issues, I wouldn't eat any more power... I think you said 350 watt was the upgraded power supply? that's still a bit low, considering the upgrades you've made to it (sound, video, cpu).

speaking of electricity, it's a major thunder and lightning storm here! I just drove home from friends from a new year's party, and it's raining so hard that without the lightning it was tough to see the road at times.

Home sweet home :-)
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby sox 06 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:24 am

scottaa1 wrote:if you're not having heat issues, I wouldn't eat any more power... I think you said 350 watt was the upgraded power supply? that's still a bit low, considering the upgrades you've made to it (sound, video, cpu).

speaking of electricity, it's a major thunder and lightning storm here! I just drove home from friends from a new year's party, and it's raining so hard that without the lightning it was tough to see the road at times.

Home sweet home :-)

As far as I can tell I'm not having any heat problems, but getting some of the heat out of the case would be nice. I've always worried about the PSU not being powerful enough. If I were to get a fan, how much more power are we talking to safely run everything? 400W? 450W+?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk