Computer Processors... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Computer Processors...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Computer Processors...

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:34 am

a fan probably wouldn't strangle it. But FWIW, I prefer 500+ watts, to allow for dropping in a higher end video card. Most of those will require 500 or more watts power supply.

Also keep in mind that the area you're talking about in your picture might be for air intake. Cases are designed to bring air in one place, pull it through and blow it out another place. Disrupting that flow can prevent the radiated heat from getting disposed of out into the atmosphere.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sox 06 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:41 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Also keep in mind that the area you're talking about in your picture might be for air intake. Cases are designed to bring air in one place, pull it through and blow it out another place. Disrupting that flow can prevent the radiated heat from getting disposed of out into the atmosphere.

There is a slot/opening on the bottom/front part of the case. This is where the air is drawn in I believe. I'm just thinking that because there are four, what look to be screw holes around this vent and an available 3-pin connector close by, that it can support a fan if needed. I don't really feel any air coming out of this vent when the computer is running and the side of the case (opposite of the MB) does get quite warm to the touch.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:51 pm

an extra exhaust fan would just pull more air through, can't really hurt to give it a try, seeing as it's your fun/project box. If you really want to play, look into liquid cooling solutions. You could be the only guy on your block whose computer has a radiator. B-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sox 06 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:09 pm

scottaa1 wrote:an extra exhaust fan would just pull more air through, can't really hurt to give it a try, seeing as it's your fun/project box. If you really want to play, look into liquid cooling solutions. You could be the only guy on your block whose computer has a radiator. B-)

I'm probably going to give the exhaust fan a shot. I'm also thinking of replacing the CPU fan because its old and when I got the box, the CPU heatsink/fan was almost completely clogged with dust so I'm sure it worked really hard for who knows how long.

The only thing I'm not happy about now is the inability to record HD channels from the cable box. I'm restricted to the four or so over-the-air HD channels that I can pickup with the antenna that came with the tuner.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:10 pm

So I took the pictures I posted above to my local computer parts store and asked the guy if that spot is for a fan. He said it was so I bought a 3 inch 60X25mm case fan for $10.50. Then I wanted to replace the CPU fan because its seven or so years old. The guy was looking at the picture and he told me I had the CPU fan mounted backwards :*) Apparently the fan is suppose to blow INTO the heatsink and not away from the heatsink. I bought an 80mm CPU fan for $7.95. That made it a grand total of $19.38, not too bad.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk